The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Middle School Game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51597-middle-school-game.html)

ajs8207 Wed Feb 11, 2009 09:13pm

Middle School Game

Had a middle school game today. 4th quarter, one of the V teams players fouls out. I go over to inform the coach, and he tells me he has a minute to provide a sub. I tell him he has 20 seconds, which he responds "I'm a high school coach, and I get 60 seconds." Idiots...Anyone else have any ridiculously wrong rules comments lately?

jeffro Wed Feb 11, 2009 09:42pm

crazy coach!!!

Yes, team A pulls down defensive rebound and looks for an outlet pass. Team B player runs around the player that has the ball but steps out of bounds while trying for a tie-up. I call OOB on B1. B coach asks, how can it be out on us? we didn't have control of the ball. :)

force39 Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:11pm

Coach yells out He can't have knocked the ball out of bounds
he's only 4 foot six. (it was on a rebound play)

zm1283 Thu Feb 12, 2009 01:00am

Girls varsity game last night. H team has spot throw in under their basket. Thrower takes one small step with her left foot while throwing the ball in. One of the coaches on the V bench yells something to the effect of "She can't move on the throw in!"

Girls JV game today. Fans in the stands counting three seconds on the opposing team. On one of them, the team's center fell down in the lane during a scrum for the ball. Her team keeps possession and as she's starting to get up, this dweeb is up in the stands counting three seconds. On the other one, he's counting 1...2....3 while a shot is in the air and the rebounding action is going on. Idiot.

mutantducky Thu Feb 12, 2009 02:25am

I had one that made me crack up. Two weak middle school girls team and a parent yells DO a Sky Hook! If she had and made it I would have awarded her team 20 points for the shot.

Adam Thu Feb 12, 2009 02:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajs8207 (Post 578349)
Had a middle school game today. 4th quarter, one of the V teams players fouls out. I go over to inform the coach, and he tells me he has a minute to provide a sub. I tell him he has 20 seconds, which he responds "I'm a high school coach, and I get 60 seconds." Idiots...Anyone else have any ridiculously wrong rules comments lately?

I just tell the table, "Give me a 20 second clock, and a horn after 5 seconds." Did this genius do it within 20 seconds?

Da Official Thu Feb 12, 2009 08:44am

Coach: "Hey, that's an intentional!"

Me: "Coach he didn't touch him."

Coach: "Well what would have been the call had he touched him?"

Me: (Oh boy...)

NHref007 Thu Feb 12, 2009 08:46am

3 Seconds

I had a parent yelling 3 seconds while the other team was trying to inbound the ball. I don't make a habit of talking to fans, but during a break I explained to them there can't be 3 seconds during a inbound. He looked at me and said, "It was close though"

fullor30 Thu Feb 12, 2009 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajs8207 (Post 578349)

Had a varsity game a few nights ago and one of my partners tells me in post game that coach was baffled why he called violation on his team as shot went over backboard. "it didn't hit anything"

doubleringer Thu Feb 12, 2009 09:54am

Yes, Monday we had a V coach argue early in the game that the offense cannot be called for a kicking violation (we had one on a loose ball, great call by one of my usual partners). Later, his assistant that had been a pain for too long got a T for arguing where the ball was to be put in after a TO. We were going across from the bench and he wanted to argue that it should have been at the bech because "that's where the TO was called." Long night at the office.

Eckley Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:19am

Girls HS JV game. Team A in the front court. A1 pass tipped by B1 and ball deflects into the backcourt. A1 goes into the backcourt to retrieve the ball and dribbles back into the front court. B coach starts chirping that it was a backcourt violation because Team A had team control. I didn't bother acknowledging him.

chartrusepengui Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:57am

7th grade conference game. Sideline inbounds near division line. Player A1throws a weak pass towards A2 in backcourt. B1 races over, steals the ball and scores - no whistle. Coach goes balistic wanting us to stop game because everyone knows there is a "no press" rule for middle school.

While I understood what he was saying - in our area grades 4 and 5 have no press until final two minutes of the half BUT grades 6 and up all use NFHS.

Eckley Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartrusepengui (Post 578521)
7th grade conference game. Sideline inbounds near division line. Player A1throws a weak pass towards A2 in backcourt. B1 races over, steals the ball and scores - no whistle. Coach goes balistic wanting us to stop game because everyone knows there is a "no press" rule for middle school.

While I understood what he was saying - in our area grades 4 and 5 have no press until final two minutes of the half BUT grades 6 and up all use NFHS.

We have the same kind of no-pressing rules around here. They are good, especially for younger kids, but people tend to take them to the extreme. I had a situation a few weeks back where A1 and B1 were both fighting for the ball on a rebound in A1's front court. Neither player gained control and both eventually ended up holding the ball. Naturally, I whistled and called a held ball, but fans started chirping "No press!"

ajs8207 Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 578432)
I just tell the table, "Give me a 20 second clock, and a horn after 5 seconds." Did this genius do it within 20 seconds?

Yeah after the horn he finally figured that in a one point game, its dumb to give the opposing team two free throws and possession.

WreckRef Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:14pm

Mens league game, a guy complains about a carry on a high dribble. During half time he politely asked me why I didn't call it. I asked him why he thought it was a carry. He said, "Two reasons, first, the ball bounced higher than his head. Second, he took more than 2 steps while he was dribbling."

I told him that first it was simply a high dribble and second, you can take as many steps as you want while dribbling legally. He gave me a puzzled look and said, "I don't think that's right, you can only take 2 steps while dribbling." To which his teammate says to him, "He's the ref, he's probably read a rule book and I know you haven't."