The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

unbelievable

Just came back from our association's meeting where one of the topics was how to handle fights or near fights and what to do when you see unsporting behavior.

The situation happened in a BV game a 2-3 weeks ago in the NO VA area with a 3-man crew. We can not see the hard foul (on video clip) that started but we see one V official table side (T) at the beginning of the visitors bench when something happened. He then moves toward whatever was happening and the hole Visitors's bench follows them. All officials had brain farts and no one was ejected because no one knew with any certainty who came off the bench. The point was to instruct other officials what and how to handle this so that was good but I stated it was unconsciousable for no one to get ejected.

Also during the game, the referee passed on a player taunting another and should have called a flagrant foul on a play but only an intentional (defensive player fouled hard first and then pushed the offensive player who went careeming into the wall bounced off and lay there. When he asked the group who would have called intentional about 75% went with that, 8-10% (including me) with flagrant and the rest with no opinion.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

It is easy to criticize from the viewpoint of a spectator. It is not so easy to handle the situation when one is in the middle of the mess.

It sounds like the majority of your peers think that you are wrong about the foul warranting a flagrant.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Are you looking for validation of your position or are you trying to tell us what everyone should think?

Peace
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Just came back from our association's meeting where one of the topics was how to handle fights or near fights and what to do when you see unsporting behavior.

The situation happened in a BV game a 2-3 weeks ago in the NO VA area with a 3-man crew. We can not see the hard foul (on video clip) that started but we see one V official table side (T) at the beginning of the visitors bench when something happened. He then moves toward whatever was happening and the hole Visitors's bench follows them. All officials had brain farts and no one was ejected because no one knew with any certainty who came off the bench. The point was to instruct other officials what and how to handle this so that was good but I stated it was unconsciousable for no one to get ejected.

Also during the game, the referee passed on a player taunting another and should have called a flagrant foul on a play but only an intentional (defensive player fouled hard first and then pushed the offensive player who went careeming into the wall bounced off and lay there. When he asked the group who would have called intentional about 75% went with that, 8-10% (including me) with flagrant and the rest with no opinion.
Far too many officials are unwilling to eject anyone.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

My first Varsity game...it was a BV jamboree. 2-whistle. (both of us
inexperienced)

I ejected two players for fighting.

I watched the video a couple days later...terrible job of preventive officiating by us. These two players were jawing and pushing at each other about 3 times up and down the floor. Finally, it came to blows.

In the next 20 years I have never had to eject a H.S. player again.

(wreck league stuff doesn't count)

The other official in that game, quit shortly after this incident...he said he couldn't/or didn't want to, handle those types of situations.

FWIW....2 Coach ejections...one H.S. one M.S. in my career.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 08:41am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
I watched the video a couple days later...terrible job of preventive officiating by us. These two players were jawing and pushing at each other about 3 times up and down the floor. Finally, it came to blows.
One of my mentors once told me - 95% of the time if you have a fight its because you missed something earlier in the game.

Not sure if I agree with the exact percentage, but this example certainly backs up his point.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, the official who called the intentional admitted it should have been a flagrant. He admitted he booted it. He was the presenter. Given that the interpreter asked him to assume his position for the meeting, we can assume (I think) that the call was booted.
It was malicious in my view. My understanding is if something is malicious, you go to the showers. He also admitted if he had taken care of the jawing earlier, then maybe he would not have had the horrible play near the end of the game.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Actually, the official who called the intentional admitted it should have been a flagrant. He admitted he booted it. He was the presenter. Given that the interpreter asked him to assume his position for the meeting, we can assume (I think) that the call was booted.
It was malicious in my view. My understanding is if something is malicious, you go to the showers. He also admitted if he had taken care of the jawing earlier, then maybe he would not have had the horrible play near the end of the game.
I hope this is just symbolic talk for DQ, and that you're not really sending them off the court.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 01:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It is still a judgment call. It does not matter what you think is malicious or not, that is why officials get paid the big bucks.

Peace