The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

You will undoubtedly see this play on SportsCenter in the next couple of days.

Minnesota AAAA boys final, big schools. Eastview scores on a tip-in with 2.5 seconds left in overtime to take a 58-56 lead. Hopkins calls time out. Hopkins throws the ball the length of the floor, it is batted twice and lands in the hands of a player who is lying on his back in the corner, with half his body outside the arc, and half inside the arc. From his back, he releases the ball with 0.2 seconds remaining--swish. Hopkins goes on to win 71-60 in two overtimes.

Only thing I can think of relating is about 10 years ago, I think somebody made a 3/4 court shot to win a Michigan boys championship.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Undoubtedly one of the best high school games I've seen. The shot to send the game into OT #2 was unimagineable.

So many close calls down the stretch...and the best part...the officials got them all right!

The crew did the kind of job you would expect in a state chamionship game.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 07:42am
In Memoriam

I was watching the Michigan Class "D" final yesterday morning, and that had a helluva finish. Detroit Rogers was down 1 with the ball very late in the game. Long pass was deflected OOB and L gave ball to Rogers. Trail came in to tell him ball was tipped; the L changed the call and Bellaire now had the ball OOB for a throw-in under Roger's basket with 3 seconds left and a one-point lead. You'd think this would be fairly safe in high school ball, wouldn't you? Wrong! A Rogers players intercepts the throw-in deep in the right hand corner, gets fouled and then throws up a prayer. Swish. Makes the FT for a 4-point play with about 1 1/2 seconds left in the game, and Rogers wins. Amazing finish. Game was well officiated too, I thought.

Did you get that one in the U.P., mick?

Watched the West Va. finals for a while last night too. Nice to have a dish, I tell ya. Seen high school games from Fla, Texas, Wa, Ca, Mo, Pa, NY, NJ,etc.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Talking Mich Class D Final Classic

I was stunned by the finish. Three straight made FT to send it to ovetime to rescue the three peat. The shot from the corner in OT from the young man from Rogers was incredible. No other word can describe it. A prayer, maybe? Stan Sexton and the team from Bellaire have nothing to hang their heads about. They didn't hold up the Championship trophy but no one who saw that game, either in person or on the tube will forget that drama. This one will be talked about for a long time. High school sports. Don't ya just love it! Officials did a great job!
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 09:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Did you get that one in the U.P., mick?
JR,
Nope. I missed seeing all the Michigan tourney games this year.
mick
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Bellaire lost a close one to the heavily favored Rogers team in the semifinal last year. In this years' final they came back from a 15 point deficit to lose like that. Sports can be cruel sometimes.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Mich Class D Final Classic

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Gingerich
I was stunned by the finish. Three straight made FT to send it to ovetime to rescue the three peat.
Around here we have spelled it "thre-peat". Not so important now that The Streak has ended and They are starting over!