The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 746
unbelievable

Just came back from our association's meeting where one of the topics was how to handle fights or near fights and what to do when you see unsporting behavior.

The situation happened in a BV game a 2-3 weeks ago in the NO VA area with a 3-man crew. We can not see the hard foul (on video clip) that started but we see one V official table side (T) at the beginning of the visitors bench when something happened. He then moves toward whatever was happening and the hole Visitors's bench follows them. All officials had brain farts and no one was ejected because no one knew with any certainty who came off the bench. The point was to instruct other officials what and how to handle this so that was good but I stated it was unconsciousable for no one to get ejected.

Also during the game, the referee passed on a player taunting another and should have called a flagrant foul on a play but only an intentional (defensive player fouled hard first and then pushed the offensive player who went careeming into the wall bounced off and lay there. When he asked the group who would have called intentional about 75% went with that, 8-10% (including me) with flagrant and the rest with no opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,902
It is easy to criticize from the viewpoint of a spectator. It is not so easy to handle the situation when one is in the middle of the mess.

It sounds like the majority of your peers think that you are wrong about the foul warranting a flagrant.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:35am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,157
Are you looking for validation of your position or are you trying to tell us what everyone should think?

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:51am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Just came back from our association's meeting where one of the topics was how to handle fights or near fights and what to do when you see unsporting behavior.

The situation happened in a BV game a 2-3 weeks ago in the NO VA area with a 3-man crew. We can not see the hard foul (on video clip) that started but we see one V official table side (T) at the beginning of the visitors bench when something happened. He then moves toward whatever was happening and the hole Visitors's bench follows them. All officials had brain farts and no one was ejected because no one knew with any certainty who came off the bench. The point was to instruct other officials what and how to handle this so that was good but I stated it was unconsciousable for no one to get ejected.

Also during the game, the referee passed on a player taunting another and should have called a flagrant foul on a play but only an intentional (defensive player fouled hard first and then pushed the offensive player who went careeming into the wall bounced off and lay there. When he asked the group who would have called intentional about 75% went with that, 8-10% (including me) with flagrant and the rest with no opinion.
Far too many officials are unwilling to eject anyone.
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 01:32am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,856
My first Varsity game...it was a BV jamboree. 2-whistle. (both of us
inexperienced)

I ejected two players for fighting.

I watched the video a couple days later...terrible job of preventive officiating by us. These two players were jawing and pushing at each other about 3 times up and down the floor. Finally, it came to blows.

In the next 20 years I have never had to eject a H.S. player again.

(wreck league stuff doesn't count)

The other official in that game, quit shortly after this incident...he said he couldn't/or didn't want to, handle those types of situations.

FWIW....2 Coach ejections...one H.S. one M.S. in my career.
__________________
Dan Ivey
Tri-City Sports Officials Asso. (TCSOA)
Member since 1989
Richland, WA
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 08:41am
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,642
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
I watched the video a couple days later...terrible job of preventive officiating by us. These two players were jawing and pushing at each other about 3 times up and down the floor. Finally, it came to blows.
One of my mentors once told me - 95% of the time if you have a fight its because you missed something earlier in the game.

Not sure if I agree with the exact percentage, but this example certainly backs up his point.
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 746
Actually, the official who called the intentional admitted it should have been a flagrant. He admitted he booted it. He was the presenter. Given that the interpreter asked him to assume his position for the meeting, we can assume (I think) that the call was booted.
It was malicious in my view. My understanding is if something is malicious, you go to the showers. He also admitted if he had taken care of the jawing earlier, then maybe he would not have had the horrible play near the end of the game.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:47pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Actually, the official who called the intentional admitted it should have been a flagrant. He admitted he booted it. He was the presenter. Given that the interpreter asked him to assume his position for the meeting, we can assume (I think) that the call was booted.
It was malicious in my view. My understanding is if something is malicious, you go to the showers. He also admitted if he had taken care of the jawing earlier, then maybe he would not have had the horrible play near the end of the game.
I hope this is just symbolic talk for DQ, and that you're not really sending them off the court.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 01:01pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Actually, the official who called the intentional admitted it should have been a flagrant. He admitted he booted it. He was the presenter. Given that the interpreter asked him to assume his position for the meeting, we can assume (I think) that the call was booted.
It was malicious in my view. My understanding is if something is malicious, you go to the showers. He also admitted if he had taken care of the jawing earlier, then maybe he would not have had the horrible play near the end of the game.
It is still a judgment call. It does not matter what you think is malicious or not, that is why officials get paid the big bucks.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unbelievable!!! biz Basketball 21 Thu Jan 26, 2006 09:40am
Unbelievable!!! TriggerMN Basketball 6 Sun Mar 20, 2005 09:18pm
Unbelievable w_sohl Baseball 3 Mon May 17, 2004 01:42pm
Unbelievable ChuckElias Basketball 15 Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:18am
Unbelievable! kspann Basketball 14 Wed Jan 24, 2001 03:14pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1