The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   unbelievable (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51596-unbelievable.html)

ronald Wed Feb 11, 2009 08:56pm

unbelievable

Just came back from our association's meeting where one of the topics was how to handle fights or near fights and what to do when you see unsporting behavior.

The situation happened in a BV game a 2-3 weeks ago in the NO VA area with a 3-man crew. We can not see the hard foul (on video clip) that started but we see one V official table side (T) at the beginning of the visitors bench when something happened. He then moves toward whatever was happening and the hole Visitors's bench follows them. All officials had brain farts and no one was ejected because no one knew with any certainty who came off the bench. The point was to instruct other officials what and how to handle this so that was good but I stated it was unconsciousable for no one to get ejected.

Also during the game, the referee passed on a player taunting another and should have called a flagrant foul on a play but only an intentional (defensive player fouled hard first and then pushed the offensive player who went careeming into the wall bounced off and lay there. When he asked the group who would have called intentional about 75% went with that, 8-10% (including me) with flagrant and the rest with no opinion.

Nevadaref Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:53pm

It is easy to criticize from the viewpoint of a spectator. It is not so easy to handle the situation when one is in the middle of the mess.

It sounds like the majority of your peers think that you are wrong about the foul warranting a flagrant.

JRutledge Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:35am

Are you looking for validation of your position or are you trying to tell us what everyone should think? :confused:

Peace

BktBallRef Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 578344)
Just came back from our association's meeting where one of the topics was how to handle fights or near fights and what to do when you see unsporting behavior.

The situation happened in a BV game a 2-3 weeks ago in the NO VA area with a 3-man crew. We can not see the hard foul (on video clip) that started but we see one V official table side (T) at the beginning of the visitors bench when something happened. He then moves toward whatever was happening and the hole Visitors's bench follows them. All officials had brain farts and no one was ejected because no one knew with any certainty who came off the bench. The point was to instruct other officials what and how to handle this so that was good but I stated it was unconsciousable for no one to get ejected.

Also during the game, the referee passed on a player taunting another and should have called a flagrant foul on a play but only an intentional (defensive player fouled hard first and then pushed the offensive player who went careeming into the wall bounced off and lay there. When he asked the group who would have called intentional about 75% went with that, 8-10% (including me) with flagrant and the rest with no opinion.

Far too many officials are unwilling to eject anyone. :(

RookieDude Thu Feb 12, 2009 01:32am

My first Varsity game...it was a BV jamboree. 2-whistle. (both of us
inexperienced)

I ejected two players for fighting.

I watched the video a couple days later...terrible job of preventive officiating by us. These two players were jawing and pushing at each other about 3 times up and down the floor. Finally, it came to blows.

In the next 20 years I have never had to eject a H.S. player again.

(wreck league stuff doesn't count) ;)

The other official in that game, quit shortly after this incident...he said he couldn't/or didn't want to, handle those types of situations.

FWIW....2 Coach ejections...one H.S. one M.S. in my career.

grunewar Thu Feb 12, 2009 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 578422)
I watched the video a couple days later...terrible job of preventive officiating by us. These two players were jawing and pushing at each other about 3 times up and down the floor. Finally, it came to blows.

One of my mentors once told me - 95% of the time if you have a fight its because you missed something earlier in the game.

Not sure if I agree with the exact percentage, but this example certainly backs up his point.

ronald Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:44pm

Actually, the official who called the intentional admitted it should have been a flagrant. He admitted he booted it. He was the presenter. Given that the interpreter asked him to assume his position for the meeting, we can assume (I think) that the call was booted.
It was malicious in my view. My understanding is if something is malicious, you go to the showers. He also admitted if he had taken care of the jawing earlier, then maybe he would not have had the horrible play near the end of the game.

Adam Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 578584)
Actually, the official who called the intentional admitted it should have been a flagrant. He admitted he booted it. He was the presenter. Given that the interpreter asked him to assume his position for the meeting, we can assume (I think) that the call was booted.
It was malicious in my view. My understanding is if something is malicious, you go to the showers. He also admitted if he had taken care of the jawing earlier, then maybe he would not have had the horrible play near the end of the game.

I hope this is just symbolic talk for DQ, and that you're not really sending them off the court.

JRutledge Thu Feb 12, 2009 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 578584)

It is still a judgment call. It does not matter what you think is malicious or not, that is why officials get paid the big bucks.

Peace