The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

3 part question 2 of 3

We are playing on the side court as described in part 1 of 3. The coach continues to walk out on the court to coach his kids. During a free throw at the opposite end he is out on the court about ten feet talking to two of his player. My next time up court I ask the coach to stay off the court and his response was “Is that what you are concerned about, you should be more concerned about the game”. I wanted to give him a T right there but he caught me so off guard with his comment I just let it go. How would you have addressed the coach?
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 08:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrown View Post
We are playing on the side court as described in part 1 of 3. The coach continues to walk out on the court to coach his kids. During a free throw at the opposite end he is out on the court about ten feet talking to two of his player. My next time up court I ask the coach to stay off the court and his response was “Is that what you are concerned about, you should be more concerned about the game”. I wanted to give him a T right there but he caught me so off guard with his comment I just let it go. How would you have addressed the coach?
At that level, the next time he steps out there, I T him up.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
agree, "Coach you need to stay in your box, so that I CAN worry about the game and not about running into you on my way up the floor."
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 09:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 10:00pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
With a T, this time.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 11:20pm
Administrator

Quote:

WHACK!!!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 12:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

T now, and he sits down. You don't have to worry about him any more.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

I agree with MTD.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 03:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
At that level, the next time he steps out there, I T him up.

Peace
Just run right up his back and flatten him. Step on his neck then see if you can manage to land on him too. Come from behind, run through him, and bring your stiff forearm up and into his kidneys or ribs as you open up your hips and explode through him. The object is to lay him out cold.

Be sure to out anger him if he is conscious and upset. He's out there on your court!

If he is able to get up, I can guarantee you he will be cured of his wandering tendency.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 04:00am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcoach7 View Post
Just run right up his back and flatten him. Step on his neck then see if you can manage to land on him too. Come from behind, run through him, and bring your stiff forearm up and into his kidneys or ribs as you open up your hips and explode through him. The object is to lay him out cold.

Be sure to out anger him if he is conscious and upset. He's out there on your court!

If he is able to get up, I can guarantee you he will be cured of his wandering tendency.
This may be clever coach-style humor that is sailing over my head, but it sounds more like you are saying you disagree with the T in this situation?
Coach was 10 feet out on the court, was asked to stay off, then popped off about it. Not much to laugh at, here.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 04:15am
Official Forum Member

Nah, he wasn't commenting on giving a T here at all. He was just having a "Padgett" moment.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 04:18am
Official Forum Member

No, sorry, not at all. Coaches belong on the sidelines seated or in the box. 10' out on the floor while the clock is running is ridiculous. Clearly this must be some "daddy-coach" type who is clueless. And I'm not familiar with the genre of "clever coach type humor." Wouldn't that be some kind of oxymoron or something like that?

Haven't you ever wanted to just "accidentally" way-lay some dumb arse who you've already warned and he keeps getting off his leash and wandering around the court? Seriously? Maybe that's like a primary temprement difference between the "average" coach and the "average" referee. If I had to dodge him more than once, he'd go down in a heap, and I might sue him too, 'cause now my neck hurts.

I was actually half serious. In my brief stint reffing summer league over 3 summers, I had to dodge a couple coaches who were inbounds during transition. I was running up the court looking at the players, then he's right in front of me just as I turned around in time to see him before plowing into him. It occured to me that someone could get hurt.

I see coaches step out 1-2 feet often. I just started doing that myself a little bit this season. I only do it in gyms where the players seats are practically inbounds, and I never linger. In the past 7 seasons, I never dared. The only reason I do it now is from reading threads in here, I've concluded that I can get away with it as long as I'm behaving myself in every other way, I don't loiter out there, and I keep it 1-2 feet no more. Is it still a violation? Of course, so warn me or whack me if it's a problem. I will comply.

Last edited by bbcoach7; Tue Feb 10, 2009 at 04:25am.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 04:24am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcoach7 View Post
No, sorry, not at all. Coaches belong on the sidelines seated or in the box. 10' out on the floor while the clock is running is ridiculous. Clearly this must be some "daddy-coach" type who is clueless. And I'm not familiar with the genre of "clever coach type humor." Wouldn't that be some kind of oxymoron or something like that?

Haven't you ever wanted to just "accidentally" way-lay some dumb arse who you've already warned and he keeps getting off his leash and wantering around the court? Seriously? Maybe that's like a primary temprement difference between the "average" coach and the "average" referee.

I was actually half serious. In my brief stint reffing summer league over 3 summers, I had to dodge a couple coaches who were inbounds during transition. I was running up the court looking at the players, then he's right in front of me just as I turned around in time to see him before plowing into him. It occured to me that someone could get hurt.

I see coaches step out 1-2 feet often. I just started doing that myself a little bit this season. I only do it in gyms where the players seats are practically inbounds, and I never linger. In the past 7 seasons, I never dared. The only reason I do it now is from reading threads in here, I've concluded that I can get away with it as long as I'm behaving myself in every other way, I don't loiter out there, and I keep it 1-2 feet no more. Is it still a violation? Of course, so warn me or whack me if it's a problem. I will comply.
I often tell coaches there is tolerance for straying from the box, and tolerance for whining about calls, but not both at the same time.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 04:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I often tell coaches there is tolerance for straying from the box, and tolerance for whining about calls, but not both at the same time.
Yep, as I said, I never would have known how referee's might look the other way so to speak on small things as long as I'm acting like a professional and not running my mouth until I started reading the threads in here.

There has been a number of other things I've learned in here that have really helped me. You guys don't just make the calls and go home. There's another "game" within the game going on too, a game that is less defined by the rule book than it is by unwritten rules of decorum, tradition and respect for one another. I've learned that if I play that game right, I can probably appropriately ask a question about a call and it's not a conflict. And if I stray 1-2 feet onto the court once in a while to avoid tripping over feet as I walk, it's ignored.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 08:52am
Courageous When Prudent

In your case, the next time he stepped on the court just 'T' him up. And no explanation would be needed.