View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 04:18am
Official Forum Member

No, sorry, not at all. Coaches belong on the sidelines seated or in the box. 10' out on the floor while the clock is running is ridiculous. Clearly this must be some "daddy-coach" type who is clueless. And I'm not familiar with the genre of "clever coach type humor." Wouldn't that be some kind of oxymoron or something like that?

Haven't you ever wanted to just "accidentally" way-lay some dumb arse who you've already warned and he keeps getting off his leash and wandering around the court? Seriously? Maybe that's like a primary temprement difference between the "average" coach and the "average" referee. If I had to dodge him more than once, he'd go down in a heap, and I might sue him too, 'cause now my neck hurts.

I was actually half serious. In my brief stint reffing summer league over 3 summers, I had to dodge a couple coaches who were inbounds during transition. I was running up the court looking at the players, then he's right in front of me just as I turned around in time to see him before plowing into him. It occured to me that someone could get hurt.

I see coaches step out 1-2 feet often. I just started doing that myself a little bit this season. I only do it in gyms where the players seats are practically inbounds, and I never linger. In the past 7 seasons, I never dared. The only reason I do it now is from reading threads in here, I've concluded that I can get away with it as long as I'm behaving myself in every other way, I don't loiter out there, and I keep it 1-2 feet no more. Is it still a violation? Of course, so warn me or whack me if it's a problem. I will comply.

Last edited by bbcoach7; Tue Feb 10, 2009 at 04:25am.