The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Someone want to explain #32 to me

With a Runner on Base, it is a Balk When:
32. The pitcher in the set position, attempting to pick-off a runner at first base, keeps his non-pivot foot stationary but steps back with his pivot foot to gain leverage.

The answer given was True. The references were given as 6-1-3 and 6-2-4b.

Am I misunderstanding the word "back." I took that to mean in a direction away from home plate to a position behind the pitching rubber. This is a very common move for a Left Handed Pitcher, LHP - left foot (pivot) is placed behind rubber and throw is made to 1st. Don't see that it would help a RHP much.

Perhaps "back" was meant for a RHP and the direction was towards the pitcher's back, towards 1st base, that he was turning in a clockwise direction. This would be a balk.

What part of this question am I missing? "... to gain leverage?"
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Someone want to explain #32 to me

It was a poor question. Most states that I've seen either throw out the question or give credit for either answer.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2003, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

The Set Position. Set Position shall be indicated by the pitcher when he stands facing the batter with his entire pivot foot on, or in front of, and in contact with, and not off the end of the pitcher's plate, and his other foot in front of the pitcher's plate, holding the ball in both hands in front of his body and coming to a complete stop. From such Set Position he may deliver the ball to the batter, throw to a base or step backward off the pitcher's plate with his pivot foot.
If the pitcher removes his pivot foot from contact with the pitcher's plate by stepping backward with that foot, he thereby becomes an infielder and if he makes a wild throw from that position, it shall be considered the same as a wild throw by any other infielder. The pitcher, while off the rubber, may throw to any base. If he makes a wild throw, such throw is the throw of an infielder and what follows is governed by the rules covering a ball thrown by a fielder.

I guess stepping back with his pivot foot to gain leverage is not the same as stepping backwards off the pitchers plate. The way this question is worded I would answer FALSE. To me steps back means behind the rubber.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2003, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

It is poorly worded.

Picture this: A pitcher in set position is facing the runner at first. To do this he would have to be left handed yes?

Now then he "steps back" with his pivot foot to gain leverage. How do you do that? By stepping backwards.

It doesn't say he stepped off the rubber to disengage, which from this position would be a side step in FED thought. It says stepped back to gain leverage, thus he is stepping in the direction of the third baseline with his pivot foot.

Balk.

Really poorly written.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Very Good Garth

As discussed above I imagined this "back" step for a RHP and should have carried it to the same situation for a LHP (including the words LHP in the question might have cleaned it up enough that one could understand it.)

LHP steps ... not back behind the rubber but back behind his body so he may make a stronger throw to 1st base... BALK!

Good one Garth. Your crystal ball must be performing a little better than mine; can you get tune-ups for these things?