The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

He threw the ball too hard

Last night BV game.
A1 chasing loose ball towards V bench gains one hand control of ball while falling out of bounds and flings ball toward court hitting V1 on shoulder and head. He did not gain control, stop and review options, then throw directly at V1. Just wildly flinging ball back onto court. Official signals T and reports T to scorers table.
A Coach approachs and official give him explanation of T and they exchange several cordial comments before shooting FT.
I interview Coach after game and ask about T. Official told him he called the T because A1 " threw the ball too hard " back on the court. Coach knew immediately it was useless to argue with that logic.
After the official showered following the game, he found the coach and told him he had made a mistake in the speed of the action and regretted his call and explanation.
Everyone learns from each game.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

From time to time, we all call one we liked to have back.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

We interview coaches after games?
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Look out! Another Kansan!

Where was this at?
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
We interview coaches after games?
Well, I'm no genius but my guess is that radiomouth is a radio broadcaster.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

97.7 KSNP THEDAWG
Tri-Valley League in SE Kansas
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 08:59am
Ref Ump Welsch

Had a similar sitch in a BV game just a week ago. Partner was administering throw-in along the sideline, where A1 decides to throw the ball off of B1's back and pick up the loose ball and cut towards the basket. I moved towards the basket as L to cover the play when I hear a whistle. Partner blew the play dead and came to me (I was R) and said that she felt it was unsportsmanlike conduct because B1 was on the 3-point line, and A1 had to throw it a little hard to make that distance. I told her lets go with warning, give the ball back to A1 for a throw-in, and move on. I sent her off to explain to the coaches, while I went and explained to A1. A1 was about to give me a dirty look, and I told him while I didn't think it was a good call, his actions still was suspect and told him to go easy on it next time. A's coach was not too happy with the explanation but accepted it, while B's coach was like whatever.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
... B's coach was like whatever.
Are you like 16?
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Had a similar sitch in a BV game just a week ago. Partner was administering throw-in along the sideline, where A1 decides to throw the ball off of B1's back and pick up the loose ball and cut towards the basket. I moved towards the basket as L to cover the play when I hear a whistle. Partner blew the play dead and came to me (I was R) and said that she felt it was unsportsmanlike conduct because B1 was on the 3-point line, and A1 had to throw it a little hard to make that distance. I told her lets go with warning, give the ball back to A1 for a throw-in, and move on. I sent her off to explain to the coaches, while I went and explained to A1. A1 was about to give me a dirty look, and I told him while I didn't think it was a good call, his actions still was suspect and told him to go easy on it next time. A's coach was not too happy with the explanation but accepted it, while B's coach was like whatever.
Why would your partner blow a LEGAL play dead? Why would a LEGAL play be ruled unsportsmanlike conduct? Why would you send your partner off to talk with the coaches?

Of course, without being there, I disagree with how this was handled. Inadvertent whistle, and a discussion with your partner after the game is about all you have.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 09:34am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Are you like 16?
No, that's my partner's quote at halftime after I asked her what the coaches had to say.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 09:45am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin View Post
Why would your partner blow a LEGAL play dead? Why would a LEGAL play be ruled unsportsmanlike conduct? Why would you send your partner off to talk with the coaches?

Of course, without being there, I disagree with how this was handled. Inadvertent whistle, and a discussion with your partner after the game is about all you have.
I agree, it probably wasn't the best way to handle the situation but considering A's coach's reaction to the play, it was the best way in my opinion. I did run it by another official when working a subvarsity game the other night, and he agreed it was the best way to handle it, because it would look awkward if we had the discussion and went with inadvertent whistle, we probably would have had some problems with A's coach the rest of the way because this was in the 2nd quarter still.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiomouth View Post
97.7 KSNP THEDAWG
Tri-Valley League in SE Kansas
Cool. My old college roommate's the head baseball coach for Caney Valley in the Tri-Valley.