The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   He threw the ball too hard (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51439-he-threw-ball-too-hard.html)

radiomouth Wed Feb 04, 2009 09:39pm

He threw the ball too hard

Last night BV game.
A1 chasing loose ball towards V bench gains one hand control of ball while falling out of bounds and flings ball toward court hitting V1 on shoulder and head. He did not gain control, stop and review options, then throw directly at V1. Just wildly flinging ball back onto court. Official signals T and reports T to scorers table.
A Coach approachs and official give him explanation of T and they exchange several cordial comments before shooting FT.
I interview Coach after game and ask about T. Official told him he called the T because A1 " threw the ball too hard " back on the court. Coach knew immediately it was useless to argue with that logic.
After the official showered following the game, he found the coach and told him he had made a mistake in the speed of the action and regretted his call and explanation.
Everyone learns from each game. :D

BktBallRef Wed Feb 04, 2009 09:49pm

From time to time, we all call one we liked to have back.

Spence Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:39pm

We interview coaches after games?

DonInKansas Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:45pm

Look out! Another Kansan!

Where was this at?

BktBallRef Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 575928)
We interview coaches after games?

Well, I'm no genius but my guess is that radiomouth is a radio broadcaster. :cool:

radiomouth Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:16am

97.7 KSNP THEDAWG
Tri-Valley League in SE Kansas

Ref Ump Welsch Thu Feb 05, 2009 08:59am

Had a similar sitch in a BV game just a week ago. Partner was administering throw-in along the sideline, where A1 decides to throw the ball off of B1's back and pick up the loose ball and cut towards the basket. I moved towards the basket as L to cover the play when I hear a whistle. Partner blew the play dead and came to me (I was R) and said that she felt it was unsportsmanlike conduct because B1 was on the 3-point line, and A1 had to throw it a little hard to make that distance. I told her lets go with warning, give the ball back to A1 for a throw-in, and move on. I sent her off to explain to the coaches, while I went and explained to A1. A1 was about to give me a dirty look, and I told him while I didn't think it was a good call, his actions still was suspect and told him to go easy on it next time. A's coach was not too happy with the explanation but accepted it, while B's coach was like whatever.

Nevadaref Thu Feb 05, 2009 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 575986)
... B's coach was like whatever.

Are you like 16? :D

bigdogrunnin Thu Feb 05, 2009 09:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 575986)
Had a similar sitch in a BV game just a week ago. Partner was administering throw-in along the sideline, where A1 decides to throw the ball off of B1's back and pick up the loose ball and cut towards the basket. I moved towards the basket as L to cover the play when I hear a whistle. Partner blew the play dead and came to me (I was R) and said that she felt it was unsportsmanlike conduct because B1 was on the 3-point line, and A1 had to throw it a little hard to make that distance. I told her lets go with warning, give the ball back to A1 for a throw-in, and move on. I sent her off to explain to the coaches, while I went and explained to A1. A1 was about to give me a dirty look, and I told him while I didn't think it was a good call, his actions still was suspect and told him to go easy on it next time. A's coach was not too happy with the explanation but accepted it, while B's coach was like whatever.

Why would your partner blow a LEGAL play dead? Why would a LEGAL play be ruled unsportsmanlike conduct? Why would you send your partner off to talk with the coaches?

Of course, without being there, I disagree with how this was handled. Inadvertent whistle, and a discussion with your partner after the game is about all you have.

Ref Ump Welsch Thu Feb 05, 2009 09:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 575988)
Are you like 16? :D

No, that's my partner's quote at halftime after I asked her what the coaches had to say. :)

Ref Ump Welsch Thu Feb 05, 2009 09:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin (Post 575999)
Why would your partner blow a LEGAL play dead? Why would a LEGAL play be ruled unsportsmanlike conduct? Why would you send your partner off to talk with the coaches?

Of course, without being there, I disagree with how this was handled. Inadvertent whistle, and a discussion with your partner after the game is about all you have.

I agree, it probably wasn't the best way to handle the situation but considering A's coach's reaction to the play, it was the best way in my opinion. I did run it by another official when working a subvarsity game the other night, and he agreed it was the best way to handle it, because it would look awkward if we had the discussion and went with inadvertent whistle, we probably would have had some problems with A's coach the rest of the way because this was in the 2nd quarter still.

DonInKansas Sat Feb 07, 2009 08:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by radiomouth (Post 575944)
97.7 KSNP THEDAWG
Tri-Valley League in SE Kansas

Cool. My old college roommate's the head baseball coach for Caney Valley in the Tri-Valley.