The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

My Partner the philsopher

I worked with a partner last night that had little philsophys about certain rules or management things. They weren't that interesting but I gotta do a little ranting before I go to Vegas for the rest of this week.

Rant ON:
We hit the floor at the 12 minute mark. He cruises the table and I start the headband survey. Lots of different colors of the rainbow. I take care of business on V team and I'm on my way to H team and partner intercepts me. Gives me pretty lengthy spiel about about headbands,pre wrap and the Electoral College. I explain my position that the last I heard Fed wanted it this way. He stomped off.

2nd Qtr, I'm Trail on table side. Horn sounds. Player not in the book. Basically coach turned in roster that didn't include recently brought up JV player. Partner believed we should have passed and then blah,blah,blah....We did it my way. Shot 2 and moved on. His theory lasted longer then the 2 shots and putting the ball into back into play did.

4th Qtr Home down by 5 points. 3 minutes left.I'm lead. Tweet, I have a shooting foul. Home player does the big ball bounce for me and then says " Bullstuff". I reward her for the little fit . Here comes my ole "got a different take" on it partner. He's all about not influencing the game. I need to be sure about the T. I explain the angry bounce of the ball, that hit the bottom of the backboard,and the lovely "bullstuff" comment was a no brainer for me, no matter when it happens in a game. He disagreed . But we moved on.

It felt like working with "Mr Making mountains out of mole hills." No brainer stuff . But what can you do.

RANT OFF:
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

You learned your lesson with this guy. Find a new partner.

I told other officials that I went to a clinic last Saturday. What I jokingly meant is that the guy I officiated with believes that he must explain to the coaches in detail every call that he makes, whether they ask him or not. Therefore the game takes forever and it is painful to do. I think the guy is insecure to the point that he has to tell everyone what he knows.

I know we can't always choose our partners, but when I get the chance to I try to avoid this guy.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 08:33am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
He stomped off.

His theory lasted longer then the 2 shots and putting the ball into back into play did.

He's all about not influencing the game.

But what can you do.
Three things you can do: get in, get done, get out. +1 for making the right calls.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
You learned your lesson with this guy. Find a new partner.

I told other officials that I went to a clinic last Saturday. What I jokingly meant is that the guy I officiated with believes that he must explain to the coaches in detail every call that he makes, whether they ask him or not. Therefore the game takes forever and it is painful to do. I think the guy is insecure to the point that he has to tell everyone what he knows.

I know we can't always choose our partners, but when I get the chance to I try to avoid this guy.
We have a guy in our association like this The last time I had a game with him, I got tired of waiting along with all the players. I know this is not according to hoyle - but I finally blew my whistle and inbounded the ball. After about the 6th or 7th time this occured - he would do his explaining on the fly. Both coaches thanked me after the game.

After the game I tried to explain to him that he didn't need to explain his calls and he shouldn't be talking to the coaches that much - it would get him into trouble eventually. He's been doing bball about a year - started last January. Anyway he began explaining to me that he needed to explain the rule/call to the coaches so they would not "ride" him. I didn't wait for him to finish - I hit the showers. I try and avoid working with him!
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
That's where we get in trouble, using our own philsophys........
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
That's where we get in trouble, using our own philsophys........
I was wondering if that might be how the dude said it or something....
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
We have a guy in our association like this The last time I had a game with him, I got tired of waiting along with all the players. I know this is not according to hoyle - but I finally blew my whistle and inbounded the ball. After about the 6th or 7th time this occured - he would do his explaining on the fly. Both coaches thanked me after the game.

After the game I tried to explain to him that he didn't need to explain his calls and he shouldn't be talking to the coaches that much - it would get him into trouble eventually. He's been doing bball about a year - started last January. Anyway he began explaining to me that he needed to explain the rule/call to the coaches so they would not "ride" him. I didn't wait for him to finish - I hit the showers. I try and avoid working with him!
If he's only been doing basketball for a year, I think a little more patience would have been the better way to go.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 11:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

I worked with a guy twice in the last two weeks who, at the final horn, would grab the basketball and take it to the table. I assumed he was on my hip running off the court, so I stopped at the door and he was still at the table.

I asked him why he was getting the ball, etc. I then said, "Why do you care WHAT happens to the ball? Someone will get it, etc."

He did it again the next game. I hope someday he gets the mother of all confrontations from an unhappy coach -- it's the only way he'll learn, apparently.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 12:23pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I worked with a guy twice in the last two weeks who, at the final horn, would grab the basketball and take it to the table. I assumed he was on my hip running off the court, so I stopped at the door and he was still at the table.

I asked him why he was getting the ball, etc. I then said, "Why do you care WHAT happens to the ball? Someone will get it, etc."

He did it again the next game. I hope someday he gets the mother of all confrontations from an unhappy coach -- it's the only way he'll learn, apparently.
If there is a next time, guess you'll need to include that in the pre-game.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 12:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
If there is a next time, guess you'll need to include that in the pre-game.
You know, there are some things you shouldn't have to include in a pregame. I guess this isn't one of them (with him).

Friday night I had 2 technicals in the last minute of a varsity game (well earned) and when we were gathering to discuss the impending free throws, we talked about the exit (the AD was standing there) and how at the horn we would be heading there with good pace -- we just wanted to be sure nobody got turned around and headed in the wrong direction, where the coach could trap one of us. It's just good awareness and knowledge of what's likely to happen, to be honest.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
If he's only been doing basketball for a year, I think a little more patience would have been the better way to go.
I should also have mentioned that he also does this in volleyball where he has officiated for 15 years, and in softball 5+ years as well. It's just his first year in bball. He has enough experience with the other sports that he should know better than to always be in a coaches face
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

I've had a couple of partners who have stopped to shake a coaches hand right after the horn on the way to the locker room. Meanwhile, I'm standing at the door waiting...
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

I will never forget the partner that told me, after I gave a BV player a T in a close game in the final minutes of the 4th quarter for telling me its tough to play against 6 on the court, that the T was horrible in that stage of the game. I had to respond that he might not value his integrity as much as I did so I understood if he wouldnt make that call. Needless to say we didnt really chat much from then on, ever.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 07:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"All Hail To Massachusetts" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I worked with a guy twice in the last two weeks who, at the final horn, would grab the basketball and take it to the table. I assumed he was on my hip running off the court, so I stopped at the door and he was still at the table. He did it again the next game. I hope someday he gets the mother of all confrontations from an unhappy coach, it's the only way he'll learn, apparently.
Tell him to move to Massachusetts. He can give the ball to the table, and watch kids shake hands, who really don't want to shake hands. Maybe, he'll get into an argument with a coach, and find out that his T-pistol is out of bullets after the final score is approved.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 04:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
I worked with a partner last night that had little philsophys about certain rules or management things. They weren't that interesting but I gotta do a little ranting before I go to Vegas for the rest of this week.

Rant ON:
We hit the floor at the 12 minute mark. He cruises the table and I start the headband survey. Lots of different colors of the rainbow. I take care of business on V team and I'm on my way to H team and partner intercepts me. Gives me pretty lengthy spiel about about headbands,pre wrap and the Electoral College. I explain my position that the last I heard Fed wanted it this way. He stomped off.

2nd Qtr, I'm Trail on table side. Horn sounds. Player not in the book. Basically coach turned in roster that didn't include recently brought up JV player. Partner believed we should have passed and then blah,blah,blah....We did it my way. Shot 2 and moved on. His theory lasted longer then the 2 shots and putting the ball into back into play did.

4th Qtr Home down by 5 points. 3 minutes left.I'm lead. Tweet, I have a shooting foul. Home player does the big ball bounce for me and then says " Bullstuff". I reward her for the little fit . Here comes my ole "got a different take" on it partner. He's all about not influencing the game. I need to be sure about the T. I explain the angry bounce of the ball, that hit the bottom of the backboard,and the lovely "bullstuff" comment was a no brainer for me, no matter when it happens in a game. He disagreed . But we moved on.

It felt like working with "Mr Making mountains out of mole hills." No brainer stuff . But what can you do.

RANT OFF:
You obviously found another one of those officials who will make any excuse in order to not assess a technical foul. I call those people cowards. I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to complain about my doing that.