The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 01:55am
Do not give a damn!!

Come prepared

Tonight I was not scheduled to work tonight, so I went to watch a game with a friend. Well actually I was originally going to work, but because of some circumstances I voluntarily got off the game and went to watch my friends instead.

My partners had two games and before I left the house I looked right at my bag as if I was going to take it with me and did nothing.

Then in the first game, one of my friends got hurt where he thinks he might have pulled a groin muscle or hamstring and guess who had to work in this place? MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! !!!!

Fortunately my friend and I are not too far off in size, so I was able to wear all his uniform without much of a problem.

So let this be a lesson to all of you, if you go watch someone work a game, bring your stuff.

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by your fellow officials.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 02:12am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Life's like that sometimes.

I was assigned to wear the White Hat for a provincial high school football final because I had brought my gear to a game. Ya just never know when something strange will occur!
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 06:36am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Concur. I have been pressed into service on several occasions (mostly kids Rec League) due to no shows.

I was almost pressed into service a few weeks ago at a FB game. But, with 1 minute left in the 1st Qtr in walked the U. This ref is habitually late for games.....so, no surprise there!
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

JRut-the lesson may be to always bring your bag with you and then you will be guaranteed not to work.
It always happens the one time you don't bring it.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Tonight I was not scheduled to work tonight, so I went to watch a game with a friend. Well actually I was originally going to work, but because of some circumstances I voluntarily got off the game and went to watch my friends instead.

My partners had two games and before I left the house I looked right at my bag as if I was going to take it with me and did nothing.

Then in the first game, one of my friends got hurt where he thinks he might have pulled a groin muscle or hamstring and guess who had to work in this place? MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! !!!!

Fortunately my friend and I are not too far off in size, so I was able to wear all his uniform without much of a problem.

So let this be a lesson to all of you, if you go watch someone work a game, bring your stuff.

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by your fellow officials.

Peace
I missed an extra college game due to this. I was doing a HS scrimmage and didnt have any of my college gear with me and the assigner called me..urrrgggg. But fortunately he is a good person and didnt hold it against me. Then, I get a call yesterday for an extra game on this evening...guess what, I had my stuff ready to go!!!!
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace

I have a spare bag in the trunk with complete gear just in case, which is unlike me as I tend to forget items in my regular bag. Had an early varsity game at a school not in the IHSA, and afterwards went over to nearby HS to watch boys Varsity. I get there for start of 4th quarter and there's only two officials and a couple of big dogs to boot. I went to locker room after game to say hi and they said if I was there at half, I could have jumped in. Would have loved to work with them.

You never know.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Good advice, because this even happens to the "big dogs".

Way back in the early '80's, (that's 1980's) the U of I had a big game against KY on Christmas Eve. However, there was a major snowstorm that hit the area, and even though KY made it to town the day before, the entire crew of officials never made it to town. There were 3 HS/juco/D-3 officials that had season tickets that had their stuff ready to go, so when they got the call they were prepared for a great experience.

Even last night, at the Purdue/WI game, they mentioned Hightower could not get out of St. Louis due to the weather, so they had to find a replacement official from the Chicago area that drove up to Madison in time for the game.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Good advice, because this even happens to the "big dogs".

Way back in the early '80's, (that's 1980's) the U of I had a big game against KY on Christmas Eve. However, there was a major snowstorm that hit the area, and even though KY made it to town the day before, the entire crew of officials never made it to town. There were 3 HS/juco/D-3 officials that had season tickets that had their stuff ready to go, so when they got the call they were prepared for a great experience.

Even last night, at the Purdue/WI game, they mentioned Hightower could not get out of St. Louis due to the weather, so they had to find a replacement official from the Chicago area that drove up to Madison in time for the game.

Good story...How can I start a snow storm?
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Good story...How can I start a snow storm?
Don't know.

I think you have to know someone.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 01:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Don't know.

Isn't there someone really powerful who just came out of Chicago? Dang it, I hate it when I can't remember stuff.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Isn't there someone really powerful who just came out of Chicago? Dang it, I hate it when I can't remember stuff.
The Governor?

Nah, he's not really powerful at all. Besides, you might get in trouble if you use him to get things done.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 01:34pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Don't know.

Someone with a big collection of snowmaking equipment!
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Speaking of can't remembering, I had a game the other night. As I'm getting ready to dress, another ref shows up ready to go. Turns out he was at Wilsonville, when he was actually supposed to be at Wilson. Fortunately, he was early enough to make his game.

Now if I could just remember why I walked into the room ....

But, yeah. Once the season starts, the bag is ALWAYS in my car.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 01:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The Governor?

Nah, he's not really powerful at all. Besides, you might get in trouble if you use him to get things done.
You're gov ain't doing that for free, that's for sure.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 03:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Peace
Personally, I think you should always just go to every game dressed in your uniform.