The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Come prepared (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51249-come-prepared.html)

JRutledge Wed Jan 28, 2009 01:55am

Come prepared

Tonight I was not scheduled to work tonight, so I went to watch a game with a friend. Well actually I was originally going to work, but because of some circumstances I voluntarily got off the game and went to watch my friends instead.

My partners had two games and before I left the house I looked right at my bag as if I was going to take it with me and did nothing.

Then in the first game, one of my friends got hurt where he thinks he might have pulled a groin muscle or hamstring and guess who had to work in this place? MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! !!!!

Fortunately my friend and I are not too far off in size, so I was able to wear all his uniform without much of a problem.

So let this be a lesson to all of you, if you go watch someone work a game, bring your stuff.

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by your fellow officials. :D

Peace

JugglingReferee Wed Jan 28, 2009 02:12am

Life's like that sometimes.

I was assigned to wear the White Hat for a provincial high school football final because I had brought my gear to a game. Ya just never know when something strange will occur!

grunewar Wed Jan 28, 2009 06:36am

Concur. I have been pressed into service on several occasions (mostly kids Rec League) due to no shows.

I was almost pressed into service a few weeks ago at a FB game. But, with 1 minute left in the 1st Qtr in walked the U. This ref is habitually late for games.....so, no surprise there! :mad:

muxbule Wed Jan 28, 2009 07:42am

JRut-the lesson may be to always bring your bag with you and then you will be guaranteed not to work.
It always happens the one time you don't bring it.

IREFU2 Wed Jan 28, 2009 08:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 573147)
Tonight I was not scheduled to work tonight, so I went to watch a game with a friend. Well actually I was originally going to work, but because of some circumstances I voluntarily got off the game and went to watch my friends instead.

My partners had two games and before I left the house I looked right at my bag as if I was going to take it with me and did nothing.

Then in the first game, one of my friends got hurt where he thinks he might have pulled a groin muscle or hamstring and guess who had to work in this place? MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! !!!!

Fortunately my friend and I are not too far off in size, so I was able to wear all his uniform without much of a problem.

So let this be a lesson to all of you, if you go watch someone work a game, bring your stuff.

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by your fellow officials. :D

Peace

I missed an extra college game due to this. I was doing a HS scrimmage and didnt have any of my college gear with me and the assigner called me..urrrgggg. But fortunately he is a good person and didnt hold it against me. Then, I get a call yesterday for an extra game on this evening...guess what, I had my stuff ready to go!!!!

fullor30 Wed Jan 28, 2009 09:06am

Quote:

Peace

I have a spare bag in the trunk with complete gear just in case, which is unlike me as I tend to forget items in my regular bag. Had an early varsity game at a school not in the IHSA, and afterwards went over to nearby HS to watch boys Varsity. I get there for start of 4th quarter and there's only two officials and a couple of big dogs to boot. I went to locker room after game to say hi and they said if I was there at half, I could have jumped in. Would have loved to work with them.

You never know.

M&M Guy Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:21pm

Good advice, because this even happens to the "big dogs".

Way back in the early '80's, (that's <font color=red>19</font color>80's) the U of I had a big game against KY on Christmas Eve. However, there was a major snowstorm that hit the area, and even though KY made it to town the day before, the entire crew of officials never made it to town. There were 3 HS/juco/D-3 officials that had season tickets that had their stuff ready to go, so when they got the call they were prepared for a great experience.

Even last night, at the Purdue/WI game, they mentioned Hightower could not get out of St. Louis due to the weather, so they had to find a replacement official from the Chicago area that drove up to Madison in time for the game.

fullor30 Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 573239)
Good advice, because this even happens to the "big dogs".

Way back in the early '80's, (that's <font color=red>19</font color>80's) the U of I had a big game against KY on Christmas Eve. However, there was a major snowstorm that hit the area, and even though KY made it to town the day before, the entire crew of officials never made it to town. There were 3 HS/juco/D-3 officials that had season tickets that had their stuff ready to go, so when they got the call they were prepared for a great experience.

Even last night, at the Purdue/WI game, they mentioned Hightower could not get out of St. Louis due to the weather, so they had to find a replacement official from the Chicago area that drove up to Madison in time for the game.

Good story...How can I start a snow storm?

M&M Guy Wed Jan 28, 2009 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 573246)
Good story...How can I start a snow storm?

Don't know.

I think you have to know someone.

Adam Wed Jan 28, 2009 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 573250)
Don't know.

Isn't there someone really powerful who just came out of Chicago? Dang it, I hate it when I can't remember stuff.

M&M Guy Wed Jan 28, 2009 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 573256)
Isn't there someone really powerful who just came out of Chicago? Dang it, I hate it when I can't remember stuff.

The Governor?

Nah, he's not really powerful at all. Besides, you might get in trouble if you use him to get things done.

Ref Ump Welsch Wed Jan 28, 2009 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 573250)
Don't know.

Someone with a big collection of snowmaking equipment! :p

Rodical Wed Jan 28, 2009 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 573256)

Speaking of can't remembering, I had a game the other night. As I'm getting ready to dress, another ref shows up ready to go. Turns out he was at Wilsonville, when he was actually supposed to be at Wilson. Fortunately, he was early enough to make his game.

Now if I could just remember why I walked into the room .... :rolleyes:

But, yeah. Once the season starts, the bag is ALWAYS in my car.

Adam Wed Jan 28, 2009 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 573262)
The Governor?

Nah, he's not really powerful at all. Besides, you might get in trouble if you use him to get things done.

You're gov ain't doing that for free, that's for sure.

Rich Wed Jan 28, 2009 03:38pm

Quote:

Peace

Personally, I think you should always just go to every game dressed in your uniform. :D :D