The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Blind screen help

Am I wrong or right?

Player A1 has ball top of key with Player B1 guarding. Player A2 comes up right behind B1 to set a screen for A1. A1 breaks for basket and B1 tries to go with A1 but is impeded by the blind screen. No big contact but small B1 is stopped by bigger A2 being right behind him. I call an illegal screen on A2 (did not give 1 normal step since it was a blind screen) and give the ball to Team B.

At half time, my partners say that I should not have called a foul on A2 because A2 went right up to B1 and made slight contact so therefore B1 "knew" he was being screen by A2 because he could feel his body on his back. Since he knew he was there, it was now B1's responsibility to go around A2 without making hard contact.

I think a blind screen from behind wheter or not you touch the player is still a blind screen and you must give that 1 normal step.

Right or wrong? I can find nothing in the case book (4.40) about screening.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 11:06am
#thereferee99

Rule 4-40-4 covers this pretty well, methinks.

When screening a stationary opponent from behind (outside the visual field), the screener must allow the opponent one normal step backward without contact.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 11:18am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycat1 View Post
Am I wrong or right?
I think you are correct.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

I would agree with you. The screener should allow one normal step back without contact

-Josh
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think a blind screen from behind wheter or not you touch the player is still a blind screen and you must give that 1 normal step.

Contact is necessary for a foul to be called however.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

key word phrase is visual field. Nothing is said about "feeling" the defender and it wouldn't matter anyway - if they are that close they have not given the required 1 step.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Am I wrong or right?

Player A1 has ball top of key with Player B1 guarding. Player A2 comes up right behind B1 to set a screen for A1. A1 breaks for basket and B1 tries to go with A1 but is impeded by the blind screen. No big contact but small B1 is stopped by bigger A2 being right behind him. I call an illegal screen on A2 (did not give 1 normal step since it was a blind screen) and give the ball to Team B.

At half time, my partners say that I should not have called a foul on A2 because A2 went right up to B1 and made slight contact so therefore B1 "knew" he was being screen by A2 because he could feel his body on his back. Since he knew he was there, it was now B1's responsibility to go around A2 without making hard contact.

I have an old rule beside computer. I think it is still the same.

10-6-3a a player who screeens shall not when he/she is outside the visual field of a stationary opponent, take a position closer than a normal step from the opponent.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

I thought the blind screening principle was for screens away from the ball? Usually on ball screens that are blind that catch the defender off guard are during transition. The screen described here is only blind in that the defender cannot see the player but he 100% knows he is there. This sounds like a no call to me.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 01:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I thought the blind screening principle was for screens away from the ball?
Based on what rule?
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I thought the blind screening principle was for screens away from the ball? Usually on ball screens that are blind that catch the defender off guard are during transition. The screen described here is only blind in that the defender cannot see the player but he 100% knows he is there. This sounds like a no call to me.
The rule is for all blind screens

-Josh
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Dont have my book handy but i remember this discussion in our meetings this year, and thats what was taken away from that day's meeting. I could be wrong, its happened before.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 01:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Dont have my book handy but i remember this discussion in our meetings this year, and thats what was taken away from that day's meeting. I could be wrong, its happened before.
Ah, now you're just teasing Nevadaref.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Ah, now you're just teasing Nevadaref.
Yeah, thats a tough thing to do.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Well, deecee may have a point, but the difference might be in the terminology used. It is true a screen must allow for time and distance, based on moving or stationary, blind or withing the visual field of the opponent. But how many defenders do you know set a screen behind a player with the ball? Wouldn't it be more likely they are guarding that player, not screening that player? If that's the case, then guarding principles apply, so that the defender could be right behind the stationary player with the ball, and time and distance would not be a factor.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Am I wrong or right?

I had a similar play last week, and still don't know 100% if I got it right or not. In my case (I was trail in 3 man), B1 plowed thru the screen, knocking A2 to the floor. I had bodies on the floor and called B1 for a push. Coach asks me to explain why B1 is charged with a foul, because A2 set a blind screen. I have to tell her, "Coach, you have made a very good point, and I will discuss it with my partners at half time to see what they saw on the play". Only one partner actually saw the play and tended to agree with the coach that the screen was legal and B1 never saw it.

NOTE: To all rookies - This is why your mentors keep telling you to "see the whole play from start to finish". Because I didn't see the whole play, which included the screeners, from start to finish, I probably made an incorrect call by blowing my whistle on contact alone.