The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Officiating a blowout (boys MS)

As a first year official, I've come to hear various theories from veteran officials I've worked with as how to officiate a game that is a blowout. Many officials will begin to let some calls go in the name of finishing the game quickly. The local "mercy rule," i.e. running clock, starts when one team leads by 40 in the 3rd quarter or 30 in the 4th quarter. If a team is up by 15 or 20 at the start of the 4th and it's clear the losing team will not and cannot come back from the deficit, should one's officiating change? I've tried as hard as I can to officiate the same no matter what the score is, but I know that many of my partners do not share my point of view.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 11:56am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckley View Post
As a first year official, I've come to hear various theories from veteran officials I've worked with as how to officiate a game that is a blowout. Many officials will begin to let some calls go in the name of finishing the game quickly. The local "mercy rule," i.e. running clock, starts when one team leads by 40 in the 3rd quarter or 30 in the 4th quarter. If a team is up by 15 or 20 at the start of the 4th and it's clear the losing team will not and cannot come back from the deficit, should one's officiating change? I've tried as hard as I can to officiate the same no matter what the score is, but I know that many of my partners do not share my point of view.
"..,Officiate the same no matter what the score is...."

That's what I attempt to do.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As a first year official, you are making first impressions with folks (ADs, coaches, players, parents, etc.) nearly every time you step on the floor. Perhaps some of your veteran partners can get away with swallowing the whistle in such games, but you likely cannot.

My advice to you is simple -- control what YOU can control. For you, each game is a learning experience. Try to get better every game. You probably can still work on recognizing fouls, recognizing a travel, etc. The best way, in my opinion, to work on your consistency is to try to make the same call all of the time.

As you know, there are multiple "schools of thought" on whether you make the exact same call in the last minute of a tie game that you do in the middle of the third quarter of a 40 point blowout. Each side will argue hard for their point of view -- and the arguments can be compelling.

However, in your case, you want the ADs and coaches to see that the "new guy" recognizes fouls and violations, therefore we should bring him back. Each official has his own style, but I look at it from the standpoint that I am getting paid the "full rate" regardless of the score. I am going to hustle up to the end of the game. I am going to referee until the end of the game.

It is hard enough for new officials to recognize fouls and violations. Attempting to further muddy the waters by only some fouls is putting an unfair burden on the new official.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Many officials will begin to let some calls go in the name of finishing the game quickly.
I will often pass on the marginal calls once the game is well out of hand and the time is short. Not always by design, just that I sometimes find it hard to concentrate when the game is lopsided, and it becomes easy to just "call the obvious".
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Team A down by 40.

Team A takes ball out after Team B score, but steps over line on throwin - no whistle

longer 3 second count in lane for Team A

all marginal calls go to Team A
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinMan View Post
Team A down by 40.

Team A takes ball out after Team B score, but steps over line on throwin - no whistle

Amend those first two with " ... and I subtley remind them to 'make sure you're not over the line' / 'keep it moving through the lane' at an opportune moment. Your voice can be a great tool in these instances.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post

Do you add: "and no matter what what the foul count is"?
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Blowout

What about a blowout at the NCAA D 1, 2 or 3 levels?
How do you deal with partners that start officiating the score and aren't happy when you don't follow suit?
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 04:15pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinMan View Post
Team A down by 40.

Team A down by 40 just as TravelinMan says:

Longer 5 second closely guarded counts for Team A as well. I've counted "1 Mississippi Mississippi oh 2 Mississippi Mississippi hmmmm 3 Mississippi Mississippi..." You get the idea.

I try to "stretch" the 10-second backcourt count for Team A but not too stretched out so it ends up being 13 seconds on the clock. People will figure it out. However, if B is pressing with that big of a lead, coach needs a psychiatric referral!
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 04:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Do you add: "and no matter what what the foul count is"?
Lord Byron,
I dunno what you mean.
Usually, I only care about Foul#7 and Foul #10.
A lopsided foul count is bothersome, but I still think it's important to call the fouls and violations equally [within the rules], to the abilities of the better team.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 04:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Lord Byron,
I dunno what you mean.
Usually, I only care about Foul#7 and Foul #10.
A lopsided foul count is bothersome, but I still think it's important to call the fouls and violations equally [within the rules], to the abilities of the better team.
I especially agree with a middle school basketball game.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Make the calls that need to be made. But, if winning A can continue a drive to the basket and score while being bumped; play on. If losing B can't; foul.

If A is still pressing? Breathe hard on B and it's a foul. (Unless we're in the bonus!!)
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 04:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

I would not even go that far unless maybe the team is still pressing or trying to run up the score. But a losing team needs to learn how to play without me giving them breaks. Kids at this age just play, they are not trying to take it out on anyone. The coach might, but he or she is the last person I am concerned with in the equation.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
But a losing team needs to learn how to play without me giving them breaks.
As a coach who has been on the wrong side of those lopsided scores a few times, that attitude is greatly appreciated. If they are allowed to get away with something in a game, it becomes harder to convince them (and their parents) about what needs to change, and where they need to improve.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 05:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachCER View Post
As a coach who has been on the wrong side of those lopsided scores a few times, that attitude is greatly appreciated. If they are allowed to get away with something in a game, it becomes harder to convince them (and their parents) about what needs to change, and where they need to improve.
I can understand your feelings on that subject.
When the bench warming point guard comes onto the floor and hacks and travels and carries and pushes, and those calls get made,
I can see where 'splainin' to the parents is facilitated.

Closed Thread