The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Two from Friday night

Question 1 is for the college refs. Mens side off things ,just in case there is a difference. We do 2 man but also have a shotclock. I found out we use mens shot clock rules. Who calls a shot clock violation T/C or Lead ? Does it matter ?

Question 2 is more of a HTBT kind of sitch but here it goes.

Players going for the rebound. Player comes down at a funny angle,slips and fall to her shoulder then her head bounces off the floor. She's knocked out cold. The rebound went long and the opposing team grabs it and starts up court, meanwhile I got a knocked out player in front of me. I tweet to stop play. I've played D1 football and saw and heard some nice hits and this "thunk" bothered me so I tweeted. Opposing coach starts griping at me for stopping his possible fastbreak. At the time I had no time for him and cut him off with no discussion on my decision. Now two
days later I'm thinking should I have had a patient whistle ?

Player ended up being taken by parent to local hospital but never heard what the end result was.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Not a college guy,but I think it would be T or C. Your stopping the play right away is allright with me. Knocked out player is preety serious. If the coach has a problem with it, tough luck for him. That is a cheesey move on his part. Player safty first.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

1. There was a question about the responsibility for the shot clock on the NCAA men's exam this season. The answer was that all three officials are responsible for observing and calling shot clock violations.

2. Direction on this is given in the rules book. You have to use your judgment to determine when/if the injury requires an immediate stoppage. I have no problem with what you did.

5-8-2 NOTE: When a player is injured as in Art. 2(a), the official may suspend play after the ball
is dead or is in control of the injured player’s team or when the opponents complete a
play. A play is completed when a team loses control (including throwing for goal) or
withholds the ball from play by ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a
scoring position. When necessary to protect an injured player, the official may immediately suspend play.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
Question 2 is more of a HTBT kind of sitch but here it goes.

Players going for the rebound. Player comes down at a funny angle,slips and fall to her shoulder then her head bounces off the floor. She's knocked out cold. The rebound went long and the opposing team grabs it and starts up court, meanwhile I got a knocked out player in front of me. I tweet to stop play. I've played D1 football and saw and heard some nice hits and this "thunk" bothered me so I tweeted. Opposing coach starts griping at me for stopping his possible fastbreak. At the time I had no time for him and cut him off with no discussion on my decision. Now two
days later I'm thinking should I have had a patient whistle ?

Player ended up being taken by parent to local hospital but never heard what the end result was.
That's not a HTBT. You did exactly what you should have done.

If a player goes down with a twisted ankle or something else minor, you stay with the player and let the play progress down court. By staying with him, you're telling everyone, "I've got this!" Kill the play per 5-8-2 Note at the appropriate time.

In the situation you had, the player's immediate health is more important than any game. If you see blood, an visible fracture, a seizure or an unconscious player, you should do EXACTLY what you did.

Great job!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

I agree with the above posts. If there is an unconscious player, I am stopping the play immediately. I wouldn't care what the coach has to say about it.

-Josh
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I agree with the above posts. If there is an unconscious player, I am stopping the play immediately. I wouldn't care what the coach has to say about it.
Ditto. Unconscious, bleeding, or excruciating pain - I stop play right away.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Generally - Trail would have shot clock violations, that's the way we pre-game it anyways.

Unconscious players and injuries to the head get blown down immeadiatly, safety and welfare of the players comes first regardless of what any coach says...
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
Ditto. Unconscious, bleeding, or excruciating pain - I stop play right away.
Unconscious: yes.

Bleeding: depends where the blood is from -- ears, yes; nose, no.

Excruciating pain: seldom.

As I posted in another thread: ask yourself whether 10 seconds is likely to make any difference in the condition of the injured player. I do stay with the injured player.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Just tell the coach that he should inform his future officials that if one of his own kids is knocked unconscious during the game, and that the other team has the ball on a fast break, that it is okay to let the game go on.