The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Son's playoff game

7th grade semi final, we are holding our own against a far superior team, we get within two when our guy in frontcourt passes to A2 who realizing he's in back court jumps and catches ball mid air, lands in frontcourt. Official calls the obvious, our parents and coach go ballistic as I bury my head, coach gets a T, Dads are screaming........sigh.

We lost by three, with a chance to tie at the buzzer. I vaguely know both officials, told them they both did a great job. One official just started in November . I gave him high praise and remembered how much it meant to me if a vet told me I did a nice job, which wasn't often in the early days.

Both guys remained very cool and calm in a emotional game with both parents and coaches pretty vocal on both sides. If they were bothered by the heckling you couldn't tell, they were oblivious to it.

Last edited by fullor30; Fri Jan 23, 2009 at 10:54am.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PSidbury
Was he jumping from the back-court and then landed in the front-court, or just jumped in air and immediately passed it into the frount-court ?

Either way it's a violation, granted.
But, I seem to get more grief from coaches, players, and fans on the one when the offensive player secures the ball in mid-air while jumping from the back-court into the front-court.

Paul
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 10:53am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I vaguely know both officials, told them they both did a great job. One official just started in November . I gave him high praise and remembered how much it meant to me if a vet told me I did a nice job, which wasn't often in the early days.
Good for you. I like this!

My son plays for the F team in HS. I make it a point to tell the officials they did a good job (if they did) while they're leaving the court after the game. Fortunately or unfortunately, they don't know me and/or which team my son is on or who I was cheering for!

In Rec leagues I always try to praise the younger officials - they know me. It's a tough job - and as you point out, praise coming from a more senior official, or anyone sometimes, does help.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSidbury View Post
Was he jumping from the back-court and then landed in the front-court, or just jumped in air and immediately passed it into the frount-court ?

But, I seem to get more grief from coaches, players, and fans on the one when the offensive player secures the ball in mid-air while jumping from the back-court into the front-court.

Paul

He landed in frontcourt, which I just edited above.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 11:23am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Odd, I've never gotten grief for this call.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSidbury View Post

Paul
I find that these situations do not TYPICALLY cause a problem with the coaches (although, middle school and younger coaches are often exempt from this statement).

BUT, they always cause problems with the parents. The reason is simple. Regardless where the ball is, THE BALL DOES NOT CROSS THE DIVISION LINE in either case. Therein lies the rub. 90+% of all parents have no concept of "front court status" or "back court status." They see that the ball does not cross mid court and wonder how on Earth we can be so blind!

This one is actually no different from the player who jumps into the air from out of bounds and catches the ball. Once again, the BALL is never out of bounds. Unfortunately, the player has still not established him/herself on the court in bounds.

Just the price of fame.....
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 11:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Actually had both of these last night (jumping from OOB and jumping from BC). No grief from anyone, parents or coaches.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

The sitch that always raises some griping from the coaches and definitely the fans is the throw in that tips off of player A1 in the frontcourt (no control) and goes into the backcourt where it is recovered by a team A player. Team B coaches still gripe about the no call and unfortunately, I still observe some officials call it back court. A second is the backcourt call on a throw in where team A has throw in, A1 jumps in the air from the frontcourt, catches the ball in the air, and then lands backcourt. Another is dribbler A1 in frontcourt, B1 tips the ball away, it hits A1's leg and goes backcourt where it is recovered by Team A. Here, Team A coach and parents gripe.

I always try and tell the officials (especially the newbies) that they did a good job. If I can, when I observe, I try and go into the locker room after a game to constructively discuss the game with the crew. Even though some don;t like what I have to say about what I saw, I still like it when a newer official, or an experienced official for that matter, asked me what I observed. That is how we all get better. I just wish high school would get to the college level where I get a game film and critique of every game.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 12:05pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
A second is the backcourt call on a throw in where team A has throw in, A1 jumps in the air from the frontcourt, catches the ball in the air, and then lands backcourt.
Really?
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Good for you. I like this!

My son plays for the F team in HS. I make it a point to tell the officials they did a good job (if they did) while they're leaving the court after the game. Fortunately or unfortunately, they don't know me and/or which team my son is on or who I was cheering for!

In Rec leagues I always try to praise the younger officials - they know me. It's a tough job - and as you point out, praise coming from a more senior official, or anyone sometimes, does help.

I especially like to tell them when I'm on the losing side so it's not the obligatory "nice job" when your team wins.

I just got off the phone with another official who works with the newer guy.
The newer official called him to say he was on cloud nine driving home after getting a compliment from an official after his tough game. I almost got misty!
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Odd, I've never gotten grief for this call.

You don't know our parents.

High praise is the refs were OK.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
A second is the backcourt call on a throw in where team A has throw in, A1 jumps in the air from the frontcourt, catches the ball in the air, and then lands backcourt.
Let me pose a question. What is the difference between this sitch and a thrown where team A has throwin, and A1 just goes from frontcourt to backcourt to receive throwin (perfectly legal).
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinMan View Post
Let me pose a question. What is the difference between this sitch and a thrown where team A has throwin, and A1 just goes from frontcourt to backcourt to receive throwin (perfectly legal).

I think Walter learned something today
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fullor, I learn something new or at least enhance my knowledge every day on this forum.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually I was thinking of the play where B1 tips the throw in by A and then you have the player from A catch it in the air from the frontcourt and land backcourt. That'll teach me to post before reading it!!! I also agree that I have learned a lot from this forum.