Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
If you convert to centigrade, the score is a much more pallatable 37.7 to -17.7
Coffee spewage after reading this!
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Earlier this year I had a situation where team A was murdering team B - final score broke a local scoring record and they won by like 80 pts, but pressed from the opening tip to the final horn. While personally I didn't think much of the team A coach for doing what he was doing, as an official it is/was not my responsibility to alter the way the game was being called...one of my partners on the other hand came in at halftime and was visibly upset with the strategy of team A...he basically said in so many words that every time a team A player breathed on a team B player he was calling a foul...my response at the time was "lets just call our games", but sure enough he proceeded to whistle a foul every time team A even approached a team B player, we were 9-0 on fouls at one point (please refrain from the "why does this matter" routine, it mattered b/c of the way that it happened)...made for a very uncomfortable second half...what would you all have done in this situation?
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
I really, really wish I could have been working that game!

Once the team was up by 30+ and they continued to press.....every single steal that they made would've been a foul ! I would have sent a message to the coach to stop pressing and if he didn't get the message, then all of his players would foul out!

Also, if they were approaching 100 points and continuing to shoot 3 pters, I guarantee on a few of those, that I would have blown the whistle and signalled, "travelling"...."Coach, she took a couple of baby steps before shooting the ball ! That's travelling! "

I don't think one referee would complain about my "bending the rules" just a little bit!

Well, some of them would, but I wouldn't care!
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave30 View Post
Once the team was up by 30+ and they continued to press.....every single steal that they made would've been a foul !
Cheater.

It's not your job (certainly at any level higher than rec programs for kids in grade school) to determine how the team should play. If that becomes an issue, leave it to the league administrators.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

I heard about this on Mike and Mike yesterday morning. They said that the coach did not call off the press until into the 4th quarter. This is nuts.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 09:34am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
Earlier this year I had a situation where team A was murdering team B - final score broke a local scoring record and they won by like 80 pts, but pressed from the opening tip to the final horn. While personally I didn't think much of the team A coach for doing what he was doing, as an official it is/was not my responsibility to alter the way the game was being called...one of my partners on the other hand came in at halftime and was visibly upset with the strategy of team A...he basically said in so many words that every time a team A player breathed on a team B player he was calling a foul...my response at the time was "lets just call our games", but sure enough he proceeded to whistle a foul every time team A even approached a team B player, we were 9-0 on fouls at one point (please refrain from the "why does this matter" routine, it mattered b/c of the way that it happened)...made for a very uncomfortable second half...what would you all have done in this situation?
You talked with him at half, albeit not very forcefully. After that, I'd just get in, get done, get out. If asked, I would tell him that my opinion is that his second half approach to the game is wrong. I would then not ask him about his take, either.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 11:07am
In Memoriam

Quote:

Once the team was up by 30+ and they continued to press.....every single steal that they made would've been a foul ! I would have sent a message to the coach to stop pressing and if he didn't get the message, then all of his players would foul out!

Also, if they were approaching 100 points and continuing to shoot 3 pters, I guarantee on a few of those, that I would have blown the whistle and signalled, "travelling"...."Coach, she took a couple of baby steps before shooting the ball ! That's travelling! "

I don't think one referee would complain about my "bending the rules" just a little bit!

I would hazard a guess that every good referee would disagree vehemently with you and your "bending the rules" philosophy. Quite simply, it's wrong. It has no place in officiating a game at any level.

Your job is to officiate. Period! Equally, fairly and equitably for BOTH teams. It is NOT your job to judge coaches and players who are playing WITHIN the rules. The problem is a league problem, not an officiating problem.

Real officials don't cheat.

I realize that you don't care. Unfortunately, you don't care about our officiating ethics either.

Sad!
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 06:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sad, But True ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
They said that the coach did not call off the press until into the 4th quarter.
Actually the coach did call off the full court press, and inserted a 1-3-1 halfcourt trap. And I understand that the assisstant coach was in acting as the head coach, as the head coach was ill, or something.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Our mercy rule is running clock in the 4th quarter when a team has a 30 point lead. If the lead goes back under 30, we do not revert back to stopping the clock.
Had a varsity girls game early this year that was a bad mismatch. Score was 58-8 at halftime, and the good team hadn't played their starters during the second quarter. The team in the lead plays in a classification two levels LOWER than the team getting beat!
Came out after the break and both coaches were waiting for us. They asked if we could run the clock the entire second half. SURE!!! 17 minutes later we were in the dressing room! Luckily one of my partners was our assignor, who is also our area's state rep.

The final score was 79-11, but it could have been 100-0 if not for a gracious coach.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with JR. We have no business injecting ourselves into the game where it isn't warranted. A big spread in the score doesn't make this warranted.

Incidentally, I haven't worked either school here in basketball, but I've worked both in football. Had they played last year (don't know about this year), the score and winning team would have been very similar/same -- even with a 45 point mercy rule that doesn't kick in until the second half!
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

In Missouri the clock runs in the fourth quarter if a team is up by 30. It stops any time the lead goes back under 30.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

First, you are THE SINGULAR minority. Second, it is not the responsibility of any official to dictate to any coach how they should/shouldn't coach their team. The job of officials is to fairly and unbiasedly apply the rules of the game to ensure that no one team or player is placed at unfair advantage/disadvantage.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

There was a GV game in Alabama between two rival schools 4 years ago. One coach had been ducking the other coach for some time and would not play her. Well, the area changed and the two schools found themselves required to play one another. This game happened at the school (lets call them Mc) of the coach who was ducking the other (JL) one. Well, JL had a GREAT team - two D1 players and a D2 while Mc had noone who could dribble with their left hand.

Gym was PACKED - area game between boys tauted two of the top 5A programs at that time. JL coach decides to teach Mc's coach a lesson for ducking her all these years and rolls Mc by 45 at halftime. Final was over 100 point victory to the tune of 128 to 24. Unfortunately, I saw it as I had the boy's game afterwards. No uproar in the local media about the beat down, didn't make national news. Nice boys game though - toe on the line of a time-running-out three point attempt caused it to be a two point goal and a one point loss.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 03:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin View Post
First, you are THE SINGULAR minority. Second, it is not the responsibility of any official to dictate to any coach how they should/shouldn't coach their team. The job of officials is to fairly and unbiasedly apply the rules of the game to ensure that no one team or player is placed at unfair advantage/disadvantage.

I'm not the singular minority. I've talked to college officials who have said they would do the exact same thing.

First of all, you should realize that this is a TAPPS basketball game played at a lower level than most other TAPPS games. It's not a high level of basketball and one team is not competitive. They don't deserve to be embarrassed like that and it's not bending the rules really to just call a foul when the other team presses. If it's close, it's a foul.

Last edited by dave30; Sun Jan 25, 2009 at 03:58am.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 03:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I would hazard a guess that every good referee would disagree vehemently with you and your "bending the rules" philosophy. Quite simply, it's wrong. It has no place in officiating a game at any level.

Your job is to officiate. Period! Equally, fairly and equitably for BOTH teams. It is NOT your job to judge coaches and players who are playing WITHIN the rules. The problem is a league problem, not an officiating problem.

Real officials don't cheat.

I realize that you don't care. Unfortunately, you don't care about our officiating ethics either.

Sad!

It's not cheating. We are here for the kids and that includes some that can't play very well. No one deserves to be embarrassed that way. It's possible to send a message to a coach who won't back off a little bit.

It was not a high-level game. One team was not competitive and they haven't been for four years. Give them a break.

It's easy to be high and mighty and "call it by the book all the time". I guess none of you have ever given a team the benefit of a call when they are down by 40+ points with no hope of ever catching up.

I wish I was as perfect as some of you, but common sense takes priority sometimes.