The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

I was working a JV game the other night with a partner I have worked with many times in the past. Anyway at the 12 min mark he goes to check the book, I wait at the Division line until the pre game and go over. After the pre game I ask my partner what took so long on the books, he replied that he recommended they put the members numbers in numerical order and they liked the idea, thought nothing more of it as I understand this. At half time the Varsity coach comes over to us and looks at me and says "gentlemen I just wanted you to know that it is not a rule that the players #'s have to be in numerical order, just a recommendation, I just looked it up." My partner and I look at each other a little perplexed at what his mission was, and how did the information get from the table or coach to him when he was not even close at any time. We look back at him and I state we realize this, his reaction was "well I just wanted you to know this because I am not going to do this, I like to put my starters at the top", My reaction, fine Coach I recommend that you recommend that recommendation to the next crew, because we are not the crew working your game. In the end he laughed and went on with his business.
But you know, I am never ceased to be amazed every day by people......

CK
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
It certainly was a strange situation. If the guy plays his starters for most of the minutes, having them listed at the top may well reduce the likelyhood of the scorers screwing up and recording things against the wrong numbers. But I sure as heck can't figure out what that has to do with you.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Has to do with him because his partner had them change all the numbers in the book which sounds messy to me. The coach didn't want to be forced into doing something different if he didn't have to. Maybe he made a bigger deal out of it than it should have been, but then again maybe your partner did too.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 05:07pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
What do you care what order the player numbers are in the book? All you care about is that they have as many or more in the book than they do warming up. You or your partner(s) are not recording stats in the book so it truely makes no difference to you what order they are in, it isn't going to make your job any harder or easier. I just look to see that numbers are in the book, names don't matter, and that there are at least as many numbers as there are players warming up.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

That is the point, when asked by the table my partner responded by the book, that it was a recommendation and not a rule, they liked it and on we went.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Just to add, this is NOT a slam on coaches, 95% of the ones I have encountered have been great. They too are human, as am I.
CK
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

As an official anything we can do to make the job of the scorers and timers easier will help us in the long run. CK's partner did not require that they change the order of the numbers in the book. It was only a suggestion and they liked it and made the change. Personally, I don't care how they keep track as long as it's correct.

Don't get caught up in what happened with the varsity coach. CK and partner made light of the situation, everyone laughed and went on their merry way. Good job CK and company!
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

i had a strange situation i was working with a young official( we are both 19, from the same h.s.,college) and he went over to the table to check and see if the arrow was working. and the guy at the table told him to stop clicking it, that he was gonna break it. sometimes there are just some people that are out there that are going to amaze us.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 01:47am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Ovens
i had a strange situation i was working with a young official( we are both 19, from the same h.s.,college) and he went over to the table to check and see if the arrow was working. and the guy at the table told him to stop clicking it, that he was gonna break it. sometimes there are just some people that are out there that are going to amaze us.
Haven't you ever heard of "Broken Arrow"?
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Ovens
Haven't you ever heard of "Broken Arrow"?
That one is going to be lost on a 19 year old, and a 29 and maybe a 39 year old too.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

The AP arrow was broken at a game I scored the other night. Is that to what you were referring?
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 06:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Broken Arrow?!

Woah. Somebody lost a nuke?
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 06:50pm
In Memoriam

Actually, "Broken Arrow" was an old Western sitcom that used to be on back in the '60s. It was about an impotent Iroquois.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Actually, "Broken Arrow" was an old Western sitcom that used to be on back in the '60s. It was about an impotent Iroquois.
It started in the mid 50s and it was about Cochise and the Apaches.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2003, 09:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
It started in the mid 50s and it was about Cochise and the Apaches.
Hmmm.I didn't know Cochise was impotent.