The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Delay of Game???

A JV official asked me if he handled this situation correctly. Blue team is ahead by 3 points. Red team just makes a lay up and there is about 8 seconds left in the game. Blue 32 slaps the ball away from everybody after the gaol has was made into the corner of the gym. The clock continues to run. It gets down 5 seconds and he calls a delay of game violation against the Blue team, the team since the rule does not state who interferes after the made basket.

I told him I would have let the count started at 8 seconds. Call the 5 second violation and give the ball back to Red. So long as they got the ball away within the 5 second count, then no violation.

Any thoughts???
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with what you told him.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iref4him View Post
A JV official asked me if he handled this situation correctly. Blue team is ahead by 3 points. Red team just makes a lay up and there is about 8 seconds left in the game. Blue 32 slaps the ball away from everybody after the gaol has was made into the corner of the gym. The clock continues to run. It gets down 5 seconds and he calls a delay of game violation against the Blue team, the team since the rule does not state who interferes after the made basket.

I told him I would have let the count started at 8 seconds. Call the 5 second violation and give the ball back to Red. So long as they got the ball away within the 5 second count, then no violation.

Any thoughts???
What about a T? Just curious if NF tradition allows for it. I'm sure that player would never do the same thing.

In FIBA the clock stops after every made basket in the last two minutes (fourth quarter or overtimes), so this behavior would be (almost) irrelevant.

Ciao
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 01:22pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy View Post
What about a T?
That's what I was thinking, why should the team that is up by 1 be allowed to slap the ball into the corner with 8 seconds left?
Does sound unsporting... no faith in the press break or FTers
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What about a T? Just curious if NF tradition allows for it. I'm sure that player would never do the same thing.

In FIBA the clock stops after every made basket in the last two minutes (fourth quarter or overtimes), so this behavior would be (almost) irrelevant.

Ciao
T -- HERE no way -- start the 5 count.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Ciao
Why a T? Think about the INTENT of the delay rule. If the defense knocks the ball away, they are delaying the offense from inbounding promptly. If the offense knocks it away, they are only hurting their own team. Just start the count.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 01:42pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
Why a T? Think about the INTENT of the delay rule. If the defense knocks the ball away, they are delaying the offense from inbounding promptly. If the offense knocks it away, they are only hurting their own team. Just start the count.
So the team that's down by 1 (defense) can't knock it away to attempt to stop the clock but the wininng throw-in team can do so without penalty?

So would you start your count as soon as the ball is slapped away or when they go gather it & the time is just about out?

I don't see how it "hurts" them, they are trying to get the 1 point win without having to inbound the ball... it's only hurting the losing team IMO.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
So the team that's down by 1 (defense) can't knock it away to attempt to stop the clock but the wininng throw-in team can do so without penalty?

So would you start your count as soon as the ball is slapped away or when they go gather it & the time is just about out?

I don't see how it "hurts" them, they are trying to get the 1 point win without having to inbound the ball... it's only hurting the losing team IMO.
It has nothing to do with who is ahead or behind. It has to do with who is on offense or defense. The offense has 5 seconds to inbound once the ball is at their disposal. If they want to slap it away or hold it, I don't care either way. It changes nothing. I'm starting my count as soon as it's available to them. Whether they stand there and hold it or slap it to the corner, the violation will occur in 5 seconds.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 01:54pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
I'm starting my count as soon as it's available to them. Whether they stand there and hold it or slap it to the corner, the violation will occur in 5 seconds.
Okay I can dig that! As long as we start the count on the slap away, then the defense isn't put at a disadvantage. The offense is entitled to those 5 seconds (tweet) violation, defenses ball with 3 on the clock under their goal. Now I feel like we provided both teams with a fair crack at it.

Thanks!
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 02:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Personally, I don't mind the way the JV guy dealt with it. I wouldn't have gone the DOG route, because this is a defensive violation by rule, not offensive.

You have the option of a T (preventing the ball from being made live) by rule, but I'd probably avoid that as well.

Stop the clock and administer the throwin.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 02:07pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Stop the clock and administer the throwin.
After the 5 second violation or on the slap?
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You have the option of a T (preventing the ball from being made live) by rule, but I'd probably avoid that as well.
That's the nuclear option. The player would have to throw the ball into the stands or way down the court to earn this, I think.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 02:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
You have the option of a T (preventing the ball from being made live) by rule
Disagree. When he slapped the ball, it showed the ball was at his disposal, and therefore the ball became live at that point. He did not prevent it from becoming live, so there are no grounds for a T. You start your 5 count then stop the clock at the count of five and give the ball to the other team to inbound.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 02:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
After the 5 second violation or on the slap?
The slap.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 02:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
That's the nuclear option. The player would have to throw the ball into the stands or way down the court to earn this, I think.
Agreed.