The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Injured Player

Player A Goes up for a bunny and rolls his ankle. From my angle (across from the bench) at the trail there was no contact or very little. Clearly there was no foul.

I blow the whistle and close down quickly to make sure no one steps on the injured player. Coach is hot that we didn't call a foul. I wave him onto the court to help his player. He just stares/ gives me the evil. A second and third time I say coach come help your player. After the third time the AD comes to help. Coach still stays at the bench and glares at me.

Outside of the T, why would a coach think it is more important to work me than help his player? Do you think the AD said anything to him?
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

"Outside of the T"? Did you tech him for this? Just curious...as to your question who knows why coaches do what they do, pick any game in any city on any night and you could find some coach doing something that makes me wonder.....as someone recently said on this board officials are from mars coaches are from jupiter....
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 12:28pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Blue View Post
Player A Goes up for a bunny and rolls his ankle. From my angle (across from the bench) at the trail there was no contact or very little. Clearly there was no foul.

I blow the whistle and close down quickly to make sure no one steps on the injured player. Coach is hot that we didn't call a foul. I wave him onto the court to help his player. He just stares/ gives me the evil. A second and third time I say coach come help your player. After the third time the AD comes to help. Coach still stays at the bench and glares at me.

Outside of the T, why would a coach think it is more important to work me than help his player? Do you think the AD said anything to him?
Way back years ago when I coached, I once had a play where I was more interested in showing my displeasure for a non-call than helping my injured player. Brain fart by the coach. I don't think the AD would say anything to a coach about this.

Good job on the close down.

I wouldn't T the coach, I would just beckon the coach, then get other players to their bench, then walk to my P, and not look at the coach again. That way his staring is useless.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

I stopped trying to rationalize why coaches do the things they do a loooooong time ago. It's just not worth the mental effort and you will never find the answer you seek...
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Since there is another thread doing on this topic, I'll ask - did he make the basket and therefor you had a dead ball when you blew your whistle? Or was there action going on when you blew it dead?
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

No T. Didn't think about it until car ride home. Player made the basket and I blew the whistle because I saw him roll the ankle and knew he was hurt. Lots of traffic under the basket and didn't want anyone to trip over him.

It's that point of the season ehen I need to be a little Zen. I am trying to "see" with more than my eyes grasshopper.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 03:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
as someone recently said on this board officials are from mars coaches are from jupiter....
No - officials are from Krypton, coaches are from The Twilight Zone.