The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Out of Bounds?

After my post yesterday where I inadvertently put the neutral zone measurements 12 inches instead of the lane size 36 inches and was informed if I stick around I would be educated. Since I have been officiating for many years and have the thick skin to prove it. I decided I would come back and post another question to the basketball gods.

Situation: A1 trying to save the ball from going out of bounds dive and bats the ball back in play. After tapping the ball A1 slides out of bounds, then gets up and come back inbounds both feet established, then he pick ups the ball and starts to dribble.

Do you have a violation if so where do you find it in the book.

I see two references in the book but am hard press to say either applies.

9-3 Art. 1 ... NOTE: The Dribbler has committed a violation if he/she steps on or outside a boundary, even though he/she in not touching the ball while he/she is out of bounds.

9-3 Art. 3 ... A player shall not leave the floor for an unauthorized reason.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

I believe there is a case play on this although I do not have it with me....if you determine that the tap is controlled then this constitutes the start of a dribble, therefore by picking up the ball after returning and starting to dribble, player has committed a double dribble violation..if player had returned to the floor and rather than picking up, just continued the dribble, he/she would be fine. However, if you determine that the tap was not a controlled tap (sounds more likely in this case) then the player can pick the ball up and begin a dribble without penalty...No penalty for leaving for unauthorized reason if player returns to floor immediately following a play like this as player did not leave "voluntarily"....9-3-1 as you describe it only applies to a dribbler along the sideline, not a player saving a ball from going OB....also just a note both feet established inbounds is not required to have inbounds status - one foot in with zero feet out means player is inbounds..
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

7.1.1 Situation D
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrown View Post
So the myth that a player saving the ball can not go out of bounds and then be the first to touch the ball is just that a myth?
Yup.

FYI...since you're new here, you may want to use the "search" function available up top. Lots of the questions you've asked in the last couple days have been discussed in depth and you'll find a ton of good info by searching.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So the myth that a player saving the ball can not go out of bounds and then be the first to touch the ball is just that a myth?
You want to review Player Location under Rule 4-35. Case play 4.35.2.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

But where is the fun in that. It would not give the guys who have been posting here for a long time the opportunity to take shots at me. I'm eager to learn. I am a very good official who officiate three sports and sometimes the rules blend together. When I see something unusual I immediately reach for the rule book and case book but sometime I like to bounce things off other quality officials. Just wait till baseball season rolls around and there are three rule books (OBR, NFHS, LL). That is when I need help.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
You want to review Player Location under Rule 4-35. Case play 4.35.2.
This is good stuff.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 10:14am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
This is good stuff.
This place is better than your PIAA publications.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

That is what I am hoping.

I try to be the best ref everytime I walk on the floor and the only way to get better is to learn from every game. Like I said I have good book smarts and apply them well but there is always room for improvement.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you have a violation if so where do you find it in the book.

I see two references in the book but am hard press to say either applies.

9-3 Art. 1 ... NOTE: The Dribbler has committed a violation if he/she steps on or outside a boundary, even though he/she in not touching the ball while he/she is out of bounds.

9-3 Art. 3 ... A player shall not leave the floor for an unauthorized reason.
No violation.

9-3-1 does not apply because it concerns a player who is out of bounds. In your situation, the player returns inbounds before touching the ball.

9-3-3 does not apply because the player left the floor to save the ball from going out of bounds. That's an authorized reason.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After my post yesterday where I inadvertently put the neutral zone measurements 12 inches instead of the lane size 36 inches and was informed if I stick around I would be educated. Since I have been officiating for many years and have the thick skin to prove it. I decided I would come back and post another question to the basketball gods.
Quote:
But where is the fun in that. It would not give the guys who have been posting here for a long time the opportunity to take shots at me. I'm eager to learn. I am a very good official who officiate three sports and sometimes the rules blend together. When I see something unusual I immediately reach for the rule book and case book but sometime I like to bounce things off other quality officials. Just wait till baseball season rolls around and there are three rule books (OBR, NFHS, LL). That is when I need help.
Yep, if you continue to stick around here, keep asking questions, and listen to the answers, you will improve. There are some very knowledgeable people here. If you have an open mind you will discover that you aren't as good as you think that you are.

BTW 7.1.1 Sit D, as Indianaref wrote, is the best reference to demonstrate that this action is perfectly legal.