The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

"Equipment" time out

Varsity girls, I'm C table side. Team A in FC with team A bench behind me. Coach stands up and talks in my ear...."we have an equipment problem". Me "what's that coach?" Coach - "look at number 5". Upon looking at #5 and the redness of her face, it was apparent that her bra strap had broken. Me "you got a sub?" Coach "at the table". No action going on with the ball, team A had it at the division line and was just standing around.

Tweet. Equipment time out. Brought subs in and quickly put ball back into play. I communicated with partners that it was an equipment issue and I would give details at halftime.

Not sure if the bra is covered under equipment. Any thoughts?
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Varsity girls, I'm C table side. Team A in FC with team A bench behind me. Coach stands up and talks in my ear...."we have an equipment problem". Me "what's that coach?" Coach - "look at number 5". Upon looking at #5 and the redness of her face, it was apparent that her bra strap had broken. Me "you got a sub?" Coach "at the table". No action going on with the ball, team A had it at the division line and was just standing around.

Tweet. Equipment time out. Brought subs in and quickly put ball back into play. I communicated with partners that it was an equipment issue and I would give details at halftime.

Would have done the exact same thing....even if he didn't have a sub ready...call it an injury timeout as in she injured her pride!
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:39pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

Good call. Nice job being discrete by giving details at halftime.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Did your partners ask? If not, I'd have just blown it dead, nd called the sub in, and got the ball back into play.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

The only thing that I would have done differently would have been to tie my own shoe. If the opposing coach asks, it's a safety issue. Good work!
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

I probably would have blown my whistle and called a "snapped bra timeout" and walked up to the offending player; and tell her she can go to the bench now so that everyone knows why I blew the whistle so not to cause any confusion. Then I would have made a remark to all the other players that they should check theirs as I dont want to stop the game again for something so trivial.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 01:07pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I probably would have blown my whistle and called a "snapped bra timeout" and walked up to the offending player; and tell her she can go to the bench now so that everyone knows why I blew the whistle so not to cause any confusion. Then I would have made a remark to all the other players that they should check theirs as I dont want to stop the game again for something so trivial.
I know you're kidding, so I would ask to check to see if the strap was *really* broke. She just might be faking it. I'd want to see evidence.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I know you got that idea from whom you refer in your sig.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Was the bra strap same color as predominant jersey color? You could send her off for that.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Was the bra strap same color as predominant jersey color? You could send her off for that.
Bras are undergarments and undergarments are addressed in the equipment rules. There are no color restrictions for undergarments (that I know of) but they shall not extend below the pants/skirt.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 03:36pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
Bras are undergarments...
There are no color restrictions for undergarments (that I know of) but they shall not extend below the pants/skirt.
Was this a HS game or an Old Timers game?
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
The only thing that I would have done differently would have been to tie my own shoe. If the opposing coach asks, it's a safety issue. Good work!
Does any official on this planet actually think they are fooling anyone when they "tie their shoe"?

I think it looks very amateur whenever I have seen this. Everyone knows that they are not actually tying their shoe. Just blow the whistle and let the sub in. There is no need to explain. If the other coach says something, "Coach, we had a little issue we needed to take care of". Coaches don't get too nosy unless you try to pull something over their eyes (ie "tie your shoes" lol)

-Josh
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Now I have a mental picture that I can't get out of my mind!
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
HAHA! I don't think scratch quite got it.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
HAHA! I don't think scratch quite got it.
Get it, I set it up. Everyone needs a straight man.