The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

lane lines

you know how you will see lane markings for pro and for college when watching nba games? well i noticed the college markings have more lane spaces. look at an nba lane, you will see a neutral zone (8"x12" block) and 2 lane lines, which is enough markings for up to 3 players per side. the college markings are the same, but they have an additional set of lines about a foot below the free throw line, making room for up to 4 players to stand per side. do they line up more players on the lane in college or something (i doubt it)? why are there markings for 4 players on each side in college?
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackersFTW View Post
you know how you will see lane markings for pro and for college when watching nba games?
No.

Quote:
do they line up more players on the lane in college or something (i doubt it)? why are there markings for 4 players on each side in college?
College used to have (up to) 4 players per side of the lane. Then, they had 3, but used the 3 closest to the basket. Now, they have 3, but use the 3 closest to the FT shooter (they start above the blocks).
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
No.

College used to have (up to) 4 players per side of the lane. Then, they had 3, but used the 3 closest to the basket. Now, they have 3, but use the 3 closest to the FT shooter (they start above the blocks).
they start above the blocks? i never thought of that. do they do the same in high school?

so you're telling me you've never seen any marks for high school or college when watching an nba game? what about the narrower lane boundary lines (lanes are narrower in high school and college i believe), which are extremely obvious? even if a college team doesn't play there, they will still put them there i believe, because eventually a high school or college team will play there for some reason.

Last edited by PackersFTW; Mon Feb 02, 2009 at 10:19am.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
they start above the blocks? i never thought of that. do they do the same in high school?
Yes, starting this year.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 12:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
so you're telling me you've never seen any marks for high school or college when watching an nba game?
No, he's telling you he doesn't watch NBA games, or as we call it, the NBE.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
NBE??? You must elaborate!!!!
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 05:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
NBE??? You must elaborate!!!!
WWE = World Wrestling Entertainment.

NBE = National Basketball Entertainment

Same sh!t, different name....
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
ah ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
WWE = World Wrestling Entertainment.

NBE = National Basketball Entertainment

Same sh!t, different name....
so you think the nba is fixed? then why isn't there a game 7 in every nba finals, and why do they "allow" boring matchups sometimes? people talk about the lakers and celtics and what stern wanted. ok, how many times has a dream matchup like that happened in the past several seasons? exactly. one ref, one celtics/lakers matchup, and you call it the wwe? that doesn't make any sense.

football vs basketball: skill is more responsible for the results in basketball. in football, the underdog has a better chance of winning vs other sports; one slip and that could be the game. in basketball, you consistently have to do good; one guy slipping means 2 points out of 100, so that's not the game. you can't get as lucky in basketball. and in the nba, 7 game series make it so flukes don't happen as much, unlike in the nfl, where flukes happen a lot (flukes are different from upsets). even in the march madness tournament, the better teams usually win. if you had an ncaa tournament for football, there would be 3x as many "upsets" i bet.

everybody i talk to says that's what makes football great, is that it's so random and the underdog has such a good chance. really? then i guess you would like gambling, because that's random. or perhaps you would like it if football was only 30 minutes, that way it would be even more volatile. the underdog winning isn't fun if 1. it happens often 2. it happens by random chance, not really by consistent skill (fluke). to me, the nfl has a better regular season, and it's more fun to watch an entire game; the nba has better playoffs (60-105 games vs 11 games is one reason), and it's more fun to watch the end of a game. that's why i'm kinda on the fence between the 2. i feel they are very different sports though. if i had to choose, i would choose the nba over the nfl, if for no other reason than because the nba needs people like me right now.

i also feel that some of you mock the nba just because you like to mock things and/or jump on the bandwagon and think it's funny, when in reality you would choose it as your 2nd or 3rd favorite league to watch. kinda like how some people say "omg taco bell is made with grade d meat, it gives you diarrhea!", when most actually like it and eat it frequently.

Last edited by PackersFTW; Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 02:55pm.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 02:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackersFTW
i also feel that some of you call it the nbe, and mock the nba, just because you like to mock things and/or jump on the bandwagon, when in reality you would choose it as your 2nd or 3rd favorite league to watch (not officiate).
Don't presume to know us.

Most of us put the NFL, MLB, NHL (not me), NASCAR (not me), all college sports (including lacross), all high school sports, and even some middle school sports above the NBA for watchability.

Jurassic never said the NBA is rigged, although I can see how you would read that into what he said. The point with the NBE moniker is that the NBA is more interested in the entertainment aspect than the sport aspect. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, it just makes the "game" more unwatchable for many of us.

And your long dissertation on how the NBA is better than the NFL is not going to change that.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
And your long dissertation on how the NBA is better than the NFL is not going to change that.
Way to impugn dissertations.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 03:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I was engaging in a bit of hyperbole.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 03:35pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Quote:
All right, so which is it?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Calling it "long" struck me as litotes.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 04:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Calling it "long" struck me as litotes.
I still think hyperbole is a better word here for calling it a "dissertation", I didn't say the post wasn't short.