The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Whistles

Has anyone tried or used the Sonik Fox 40? What is the advantage of the regular Fox 40's?
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 01:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

The Sonik is designed to emit a screech of a certain pitch that is attuned to the single remaining braincell in a coach's head and plants an instruction to coach his team in a manner that will avoid an overtime. I've used it in close games and it works.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 01:38pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
The Sonik is designed to emit a screech of a certain pitch that is attuned to the single remaining braincell in a coach's head and plants an instruction to coach his team in a manner that will avoid an overtime. I've used it in close games and it works.
Now you did it! You mentioned OT and how to avoid it without OT being mentioned in the OP. That other poster (I forget who) will be upset!
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 01:42pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
That other poster (I forget who) will be upset!
Begins with an L & ends with a DUB...
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc147119 View Post
Has anyone tried or used the Sonik Fox 40? What is the advantage of the regular Fox 40's?
Used it for TWO games at camp last summer. HATED it!! Takes a huge amount of air just to get an "airy" sounding whistle. It wasn't even that loud. Packed in my whistle bag and haven't taken it out since.

I would take a "regular" Fox40 over the Sonic any day of the week. Of course, my personal preference is the Dolphin, for two reasons. One, it is LOUD. Two, the "fins" direct the sound away from my face and my ears, which makes a big difference. JMO, and I sure others will provide their input as well.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin View Post
Used it for TWO games at camp last summer. HATED it!! Takes a huge amount of air just to get an "airy" sounding whistle. It wasn't even that loud. Packed in my whistle bag and haven't taken it out since.

I would take a "regular" Fox40 over the Sonic any day of the week. Of course, my personal preference is the Dolphin, for two reasons. One, it is LOUD. Two, the "fins" direct the sound away from my face and my ears, which makes a big difference. JMO, and I sure others will provide their input as well.
Problem with the dolphin is it is hard to tell which end is up without looking at it! If you put your whistle in and out of your mouth 100X a night that starts to get irritating...I do like the sound though..
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
Problem with the dolphin is it is hard to tell which end is up without looking at it! If you put your whistle in and out of your mouth 100X a night that starts to get irritating...I do like the sound though..

You're completely missing one of the finest aspects of the Dolphin... Up doesn't matter! I've used the Dolphin for three seasons now... and I have never bothered to look at it when I put it in my mouth. I just stick it in and go. I had to use a blue Fox 40 for the cancer awareness week and it annoyed the heck out of me having to stop and look at it when I put it in my mouth to figure out which was was up. I got used to it, but it made me realize just how little I pay attention to my Dolphin.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 02:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'll Show You Upset, Just Suggest That We Go Back To Jump Balls On All Held Balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Now you did it! You mentioned OT and how to avoid it. That other poster (I forget who) will be upset!
Upset? I'm not upset at all. You think I'm upset just because I want to strangle Mark Padgett?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 03:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk View Post
You're completely missing one of the finest aspects of the Dolphin... Up doesn't matter! I've used the Dolphin for three seasons now... and I have never bothered to look at it when I put it in my mouth. I just stick it in and go. I had to use a blue Fox 40 for the cancer awareness week and it annoyed the heck out of me having to stop and look at it when I put it in my mouth to figure out which was was up. I got used to it, but it made me realize just how little I pay attention to my Dolphin.
Terrible whistle. Regardless of how similar the 2 sides are, they aren't the same. I've used one for 2-3 games and it's buried in my bag.

It made me appreciate the Fox 40 Classic.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Tried the Sonik this summer. Didn't like for the aforementioned reason that it seems to take a lot more air to blow it. I use the Fox 40 classic and I wear it and use it upside down. Have done it for 11 years and now its habit. The little lips on the end of the whistle fit better in my mouth that way. Weird? Maybe, but nobody notices it.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

The veteran officials in my organization love the Dolphin, but I used it for the first time last night and it felt uncomfortable. I also kept checking to make sure that it was right side up. Maybe it doesn't matter.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 12:28am
M.A.S.H.

I use the Fox40 and I never have to look to see if it's correctly up - I just know. Call it a seventh or maybe even an eighth sense.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

I love these whistle threads.

Just get the good old Fox 40 Classic and be done with it. I had been using the Mini with the mouthguard, but decided I would try the full sized one without the mouthguard, and I actually like it quite a bit better. I always end up chewing the mouthguards off anyway.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 04:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
I use mini's in our smaller gyms and when in a larger gym/arena use the classic.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Sonik Needs a lot of work!

I have wrote a review on the Sonik and it still needs a lot of changes done to it. Does not sound the same on both sides and tough to get the sound they wanted it to have. I have not heard from them in awhile but will let you know if they do any improvements. For now just get a Classic or a Dolfin. You cant go wrong with either of those. Kevin