The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the new 2006 Fox 40 whistles on the back of this months Referee Magazine. To quote someone's post from the past, "I ain't blowing no dophin!" But has anyone heard the dolphin or the micro? What were they like?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure I could switch, I am pretty darn partial to the Classic CMGs.

If it aint broke....
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks

If it aint broke....
I ordered 4 CMG's this year (between FB and BB I could use them and have backups. One of them (brand new) I was using in a scrimmage before BB season and it had a lousy sound to it. (Don't tell me the pea is stuck!) The other officials mentioned it. I've never experienced any variation in whistles since we went to the pea-less ones. Anyone ever have this problem?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Quote:

If it aint broke....
I ordered 4 CMG's this year (between FB and BB I could use them and have backups. One of them (brand new) I was using in a scrimmage before BB season and it had a lousy sound to it. (Don't tell me the pea is stuck!) The other officials mentioned it. I've never experienced any variation in whistles since we went to the pea-less ones. Anyone ever have this problem?
Maybe the pee in the whistle? Gotta tuck it in before visiting the men's room.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 08:45pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

The micro is a new one... I am getting a sample sent to me.

It is small and thin, produces the same sound.

It's only downside is that it doesn't have the shape of a whistle that so many are accustomed to.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If it aint broke....
__________________________________________________ _________

I like the old CMGs much better than the new ones. The new ones feel like you have a 2X4 stuck in your mouth. I have a CMG that's about 5 years old that still works great. I use it every game but the the other day I was comparing it to the new Mini-CMGs. They are the exact same size.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JugglingReferee
[B]The micro is a new one... I am getting a sample sent to me.

-----------------------------------------------------------
How? Inquiring minds want to know?
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

I'm a newbie, but in 5 years I've never seen anyone who refs with something other than a Fox 40 or Fox 40 mini around this barren wasteland of corn and soybeans. (well ok, once in a while an embarrassed pea-whistle owner shows their face) So I had to look up what this dolphin thing was ... that's pretty crazy looking - do they all come in blue? Anyone ever used one?
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Dolphin -Volleyball

I believe they use the Dolphin whistle in Volleyball. It just sounds to me like the mating call of a couple of metrosexuals.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Do they ever break/wear out?

I have officiated for eight years. I am currently using my third Fox 40 Classic (no mouth guard or whatever it's called). I have been using this one for four years now. I am on my third only because I lost/misplaced the other two; I have never had a whistle break or otherwise be unusuable. I have a couple of brand new ones as backups, but I was wondering if my Classic will ever break/wear out. And I guess I mean "break" from normal officiating use (I'm sure they break!).

Do others just keep using the same whistle year after year after year? I do give the whistle a thorough cleaning about once every two weeks during the season -- otherwise, I am sure that it would be enormously disgusting....
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Re: Do they ever break/wear out?

Quote:
[i]Do others just keep using the same whistle year after year after year? I do give the whistle a thorough cleaning about once every two weeks during the season -- otherwise, I am sure that it would be enormously disgusting.... [/B]
For some reason I must bite pretty hard on my whistle with out even knowing it. I go through at least 2 a year....
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Do they ever break/wear out?

Quote:
Originally posted by cmckenna
Quote:
[i]Do others just keep using the same whistle year after year after year? I do give the whistle a thorough cleaning about once every two weeks during the season -- otherwise, I am sure that it would be enormously disgusting....
For some reason I must bite pretty hard on my whistle with out even knowing it. I go through at least 2 a year.... [/B]
I have teeth indentions on my oldest Fox40 - but it has yet to break. I might have to switch to a mouth guard (or whatever its called) on the next purchase. I do notice I bite a little harder in tight games - this year I've tried to relax my bite a little for fear of tooth deformity on my already prison-worthy mug.