The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Basket Interference

Last night I had a varsity game in which I called a foul in the act of shooting on the defense (team B). The ball is half way down, when Team A commits BI by touching the ball in the cylinder. I wave off the basket and give the shooter two shots. The coach of Team B argues that only one shot should be given because of the offensive BI. I stuck with two, I believe I am right and I told the coach the only way a free throw can be taken away is by a lane violation. I would appreciate your input,thanks.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 07:57am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jref View Post
Last night I had a varsity game in which I called a foul in the act of shooting on the defense (team B). The ball is half way down, when Team A commits BI by touching the ball in the cylinder. I wave off the basket and give the shooter two shots. The coach of Team B argues that only one shot should be given because of the offensive BI. I stuck with two, I believe I am right and I told the coach the only way a free throw can be taken away is by a lane violation. I would appreciate your input,thanks.
The offensive basket interference removes the possibility of a legal basket scored by team A. The foul is still penalized and since no basket was scored, award two or three shots. (It doesn't matter why there was no basket: either due to an offensive violation or by a poor shot attempt.)

You are also correct that the only away that a free throw attempt can be taken away is by violation. Example: free throw shooter bounces the ball away from him/herself, team A violates by stepping into the lane. Some of these cases could be that the shot is already in the air - so in the strictest sense, the shot attempt wasn't removed, but rather "revoked of it's legal opportunity to remain legal".
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 08:32am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I think you can answer your own question. Have you ever read anything in the rule book that states a team loses subsequent free throws by committing BI?
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would appreciate your input,thanks.
Copy 9.11.2E and send it to the coach.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

I had the EXACT same situation earlier this year. Called the foul on the shot, offensive BI. Waved off the basket and we shot two. Coach didn't like it. My response, "Coach, I understand that you don't agree with the call, but that is the rule."
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 10:44am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin View Post
My response, "Coach, I understand that you don't agree with the call, but that is the rule."
And inquiring minds would like to know how did the coach react to that statement? When I used a similar line with a coach last night, he was in such disbelief and said "you gotta be kidding me!" My partner and I came to the conclusion maybe the coach wanted us to throw the rule book out?
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

The coach shrugged his shoulders, said "OK" and went back to coaching his kids. All-in-all he really did a nice job coaching, and even when he wasn't in agreement, he calmly asked for an explanation. I don't even remember him raising his voice, and he only questioned maybe 2-3 things the entire game.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 01:23pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

The thing to remember is if you count the basket, then A has a chance to earn 3 points, all the while doing something illegal. That just doesn't make sense. The penalty for OBI is no basket, with no mention of a forfeited FT.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
And inquiring minds would like to know how did the coach react to that statement? When I used a similar line with a coach last night, he was in such disbelief and said "you gotta be kidding me!" My partner and I came to the conclusion maybe the coach wanted us to throw the rule book out?
This was just an unreasonable coach.

Yesterday I made the worst call of my career in a really tough spot. I have never had a call bother me as much this one did and potentially "hurt" a team like this one did (not physically just as far as the game goes). This was my Ed Hoculi killing the Chargers call.

On my way out after the game the coach and some parents were chatting and I felt so bad that I appologized to him and told him that I really screwed the pooch. He was not happy but he understood and didnt get upset at all. The point is reasonable coaches understand that this is a game of many moving parts and sometimes one of those parts fail.

Once I made the call I was so upset at myself that I pretty much told myself that this coach would literraly have to assault me before I give him a T. I can guarantee this will never happen again.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 01:52pm
Ch1town

Care to elaborate?
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Care to elaborate?
I am T with a drive that started by A1 from the top of the key by the smallest player on the court (GV). A1 drives to the basket on my side and beats B1. A1 has a layup and B2 establishes position about 1 foot wide of the low block. A1 jumps to her left to avoid the contact and makes the layup (this is all on the right side of the court BTW). Minimal contact of A1's right foot and B2 right thigh. This should have been a no-call or block AT WORST. I came out and sold the charge like I was being chased by rabid dogs.

Oh and team A had been down by 20 in the 3rd had clawed back to 8 with about 4 minutes to go and this would have made it 6. Oh and B came down and got an easy layup after this. Oh and yeah this call blew chunks.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 02:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I am T with a drive that started by A1 from the top of the key by the smallest player on the court (GV). A1 drives to the basket on my side and beats B1. A1 has a layup and B2 establishes position about 1 foot wide of the low block. A1 jumps to her left to avoid the contact and makes the layup (this is all on the right side of the court BTW). Minimal contact of A1's right foot and B2 right thigh. This should have been a no-call or block AT WORST. I came out and sold the charge like I was being chased by rabid dogs.

Oh and team A had been down by 20 in the 3rd had clawed back to 8 with about 4 minutes to go and this would have made it 6. Oh and B came down and got an easy layup after this. Oh and yeah this call blew chunks.
How in the hell is a block better than the PC call in this?

I agree a no-call seems best, but a block looks to me the worst possible call here.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
How in the hell is a block better than the PC call in this?

I agree a no-call seems best, but a block looks to me the worst possible call here.
No, block would have been the second worst. the fact that the offensive player was the tinyest in the court and the player taking the charge was twice her size and the contact was tantamount to a shoelace hitting someone and knocking them out, I would have felt better with a block (but nevertheless upset at myself).

This was honestly the worst no-call made call and it was ME -- blech!!!!
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 04:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
No, block would have been the second worst. the fact that the offensive player was the tinyest in the court and the player taking the charge was twice her size and the contact was tantamount to a shoelace hitting someone and knocking them out, I would have felt better with a block (but nevertheless upset at myself).

This was honestly the worst no-call made call and it was ME -- blech!!!!
So you would have felt worse about punishing a small point guard than for punishing a stationary defender; just because of the size difference?

That's stupid.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

in this instance with how the game had been going and everything -- picking the lesser of 2 evils with 2 horrible calls -- I will go with the one that raises the fewest eyebrows.