The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Intentional Technical Foul

Silly situation happened last night. I know that I made the right call but I'm not sure if I signaled it correctly.

The game was getting a little chippy and after whistles the players were continuing just a little longer than they should have (but nothing too extreme). We tried to address it by talking with the players during dead balls and continuing to call the rough play. A12 seemed to be the stem of all the problems though. After a made basket by team A but before team B had the ball at their disposal, A12 turned to run up court and ran into B1. I put air into the whistle and signal an intentional foul. I didn't think it warranted a flagrant foul.

I'm unsure if I signaled it correctly though. Since the foul occurred during a dead ball, it has to be a technical. So should I first signal a technical and then follow it with the intentional foul signal? I didn't and I think that was incorrect since the bench wouldn't know that the player is disqualified if he received another technical. Thanks

-Josh
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

from what you described it sounds like a no call -- if the ball was not at the disposal then its a T.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
After a made basket by team A but before team B had the ball at their disposal, A12 turned to run up court and ran into B1. I put air into the whistle and signal an intentional foul.
If A12 "meant" to run into B1, then I agree with the IT foul; if B1 was "just in the way", then it was probably nothing.

Give the T signal only.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Might be a bit nitpicky, but does the term "intentional technical" even exist in NFHS? I know it does in NCAA, but NCAA tech rules are a lesson in and of themselves (and unnecessarily confusing IMO)...in Fed isn't it either administrative or player/coach, etc?
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
I think we would need to know more the situation, But if you thought it should be assessed as a IntFoul, I would come up with the T 1st, not sure I would ever even give the INTFOUL signal, but that is just me. The important thing is to communicate it is a T, and such activity need not need to occur.

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 03:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
Might be a bit nitpicky, but does the term "intentional technical" even exist in NFHS? I know it does in NCAA, but NCAA tech rules are a lesson in and of themselves (and unnecessarily confusing IMO)...in Fed isn't it either administrative or player/coach, etc?
Yes, the term does exist; and specifically addresses dead ball contact.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agr8zebra View Post
I think we would need to know more the situation, But if you thought it should be assessed as a IntFoul, I would come up with the T 1st, not sure I would ever even give the INTFOUL signal, but that is just me. The important thing is to communicate it is a T, and such activity need not need to occur.
It is one or the other, but not both...sounds like it was dead ball so it is a tech, if the ball is at the disposal of the thrower when it happens and you judge it to be intentional contact then it is an intentional foul, but you shouldn't signal both...
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 03:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
It is one or the other, but not both...sounds like it was dead ball so it is a tech, if the ball is at the disposal of the thrower when it happens and you judge it to be intentional contact then it is an intentional foul, but you shouldn't signal both...
It is both if the ball is dead. You're right that you don't signal both; signal the tech since that's the most important part of the definition.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Yes, the term does exist; and specifically addresses dead ball contact.

I just searched the fed rulebook and the term "intentional technical" only shows up in the NF vs. NCAA grid at the back on the NCAA side...still looking...never heard it used at sub-NCAA level, isn't it sort of redundant since there is no difference in penalty administration regardless of what the tech is for unless flagrant (other than the indirect side of things)?
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 03:37pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
It is both, but you only signal the T. In HS and NCAA-M, this is an intentional technical foul.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If A12 "meant" to run into B1, then I agree with the IT foul; if B1 was "just in the way", then it was probably nothing.

Give the T signal only.
His justification was "he was in my way". If I had not already signaled an intentional, he would have just bumped himself up to flagrant for his disregard but I based my call off the original assessment the contact. He was the causing a lot of the extra curricular activity after the whistle (prior to this incident) so he was already being watched closely to keep him in line and the contact was clearing intentional.

Quote:
4-19

ART. 3 . . . An intentional foul is a personal or technical foul which neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantageous position. Contact away from the ball or when not making a legitimate attempt to play the ball or a player, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting, shall be intentional. Intentional fouls may or may not be premeditated and are not based solely on the severity of the act. A foul also shall be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player causes excessive contact with an opponent.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 03:39pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
I just searched the fed rulebook and the term "intentional technical" only shows up in the NF vs. NCAA grid at the back on the NCAA side...still looking...never heard it used at sub-NCAA level, isn't it sort of redundant since there is no difference in penalty administration regardless of what the tech is for unless flagrant (other than the indirect side of things)?
4-19-5c (07-08 book)
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 03:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
No, it's not redundant.

1. Unsporting Ts do not have contact.
2. Intentional Ts are what you call when you have to call something for contact during a dead ball, but it's not flagrant.

You're right, the penalties are the same. Look under foul definitions, I believe, and you'll find the reference.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It is both if the ball is dead. You're right that you don't signal both; signal the tech since that's the most important part of the definition.
Help me out here, looking at page 71 of current fed rule book, the technical foul summary - where do we see "intentional technical"?
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 03:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
His justification was "he was in my way". If I had not already signaled an intentional, he would have just bumped himself up to flagrant but I based my call off the original assessment the contact.
Still not too late.