The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Time Out Delay

Just got this in my email. Sounds like a great idea to me.

1/14/09

Good morning,

Please pass this bulletin along to your officials and coaches ASAP. For the sake of standardization, let's put this practice into effect on Saturday, January 17, 2009. That should give you plenty of time to "spread the word" to your stakeholders.

In light of the fact that we lack a consistent, national policy on how to encourage teams to be ready to resume play at the second horn for 30 second Time Outs, 20 seconds to Replace Disqualified Players and Full Time Outs, henceforth, if a team is not "breaking the huddle" or a substitute has not reported at the second horn, the official nearest the offending huddle OR the official about to administer the throw in, should issue a DELAY of GAME WARNING to the offending team. Thereafter, any delays in "breaking the huddle" or having a substitute for a disqualified player at the second horn, should result in the assessment of a Class B Technical Foul assessed to the Head Coach of the offending team. As a good rule of thumb, if the official is ready to "put the ball on the floor" to resume play, he should issue a Delay of Game Warning instead, and then proceed as outlined. While "putting the ball on the floor" often achieved the desired result of resumption of play, the previously described method of handling these delays will now be managed the same in all leagues and conferences, at all levels of college basketball.

Please call or email me if you have any questions about this policy. We will include it in next year's CCA Mechanics Manual. Your help in managing this problem, will be Good For The Game.

John W. Adams
NCAA Supervisor of Officials
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

I got this message from my assignor as well. It seems very interesting. This will only be good if all officials implement it and assignors back up their staff who do it. Hopefully this gets to the school's AD who has then informed their coaches.

I will implement it on my game tonight and let everyone know how it goes.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
I got this message from my assignor as well. It seems very interesting. This will only be good if all officials implement it and assignors back up their staff who do it. Hopefully this gets to the school's AD who has then informed their coaches.

I will implement it on my game tonight and let everyone know how it goes.
Uhm, is today Jan 17th?
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

I sure hope I'm missing something becuase I read this as the implemention of a rules change (from ROP to delay warning - T) in the middle of the season without input / voting from the rules committee.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

I just figured, no time like the present.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I just figured, no time like the present.
The coaches got the same memo, being a maverick and doing this outside of the prescribed time frame will get you in the soup.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
The coaches got the same memo, being a maverick and doing this outside of the prescribed time frame will get you in the soup.
When my assignor tells me to implement ASAP (as in tonight), then I will do as he says.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When my assignor tells me to implement ASAP (as in tonight), then I will do as he says.
If that's what you been told to do (which wasn't evident in your first post) then that's what you got to do.

I am surprised that you assignor chose to do that however. Mr. Adams was clear on when it was to go into effect.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I sure hope I'm missing something becuase I read this as the implemention of a rules change (from ROP to delay warning - T) in the middle of the season without input / voting from the rules committee.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Always listen to Bob.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

I had received the e-mail as well from a D-1 buddy of mine who had forwarded it to me from his D-1 assignor....... but it was followed up a few hours later with another e-mail from his assignor that said, "don't do it.... John Adams did not mean to send it out." Now I really want to hear the whole scoop!
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarry View Post
Your help in managing this problem, will be Good For The Game.

John W. Adams
NCAA Supervisor of Officials
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
I had received the e-mail as well from a D-1 buddy of mine who had forwarded it to me from his D-1 assignor....... but it was followed up a few hours later with another e-mail from his assignor that said, "don't do it.... John Adams did not mean to send it out." Now I really want to hear the whole scoop!
Maybe he forgot to proofread it. Damn extra commas.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Very important!! Delay warning not supported by rule

Here is the follow up email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John W. Adams

Good afternoon,
This email is being written subsequent to the email you received this morning outlining a standardized procedure to issue delay of game warnings prior to assessing a Class B T for delaying breaking huddles for time outs and replacing disqualified players after the sounding of the second horn. Per the rules of basketball, you may not issue a delay of game warning for either of these situations. In the case of the lengthy delay for time outs, please consult AR 75 on page 33 in the Case Book. In the case of not having a player ready to replace a disqualified player please see BR 10, Section 6, Art. 2, g., p. 138. There is no provision for a warning in either instance.

Therefore, please disregard, recall or do not forward this morning's Special Bulletin regarding these situations. My hope would be that each coordinator would stress the importance of complying with the intent of the rules pertaining to resuming play at the sounding of the second horn in these instances. My sincere apologies for any confusion and or embarrassment I might have caused you in dealing with your officials and coaches. I believe strongly that following the rules, and AR's, as written, is Good For The Game.

John W. Adams
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

So did John Adams think he could implement rules in the middle of the season that he thought were "Good for the Game" without going through the proper channels?

Or did he not know the rules?

We need Columbo!