The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 07:28pm
Lighten up, Francis.

NCAA time-out rule

In another thread, RoyalsCoach mentioned several errors that officials had made in his/her games this season. One of those was the following:

Quote:
So far this year I have had :

2.an opponent call time out during a pass and been told this is legal because there is team possession during a pass
Just wanted to point out that the official may have been confused by NCAA 5-11-1a:

Quote:
Time shall be out and the game clock and shot clock, if running, shall be stopped when:

a. A player or head coach requests a timeout, such request being granted only when the player's/coach's team is in possession of the ball (this includes that team's throw-ins and its free throws) or when the ball is dead.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

True, he did not specify whether the rule set was Fed or NCAA. The approach taken was Federation.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 09:52am
Lighten up, Francis.

No one but me is bothered by this, or thinks it's interesting?
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 10:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
No one but me is bothered by this, or thinks it's interesting?
That universal, overwhelming silence that you are receiving is the officiating community banding together and telling you to.....wait for it.....shut up.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 10:45am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
That universal, overwhelming silence that you are receiving is the officiating community banding together and telling you to.....wait for it.....shut up.
I know! That's why I'm surprised. So for all you college officials out there, you're actually going to grant a time-out that is requested when the ball is in mid-air on a pass between teammates?!?!?! Or when the defense bats the ball away from the dribbler and it's loose on the floor with opponents trying to secure control?!?!?!

Nobody sees this as a problem?
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 10:53am
Courageous When Prudent

Yes, 5-9.4 is poorly worded when read in a vacuum. But when read relative to the entirety of 5-9, it's purpose is to emphasize that coaches can only call time-out when there are in team control.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 11:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Yes, 5-9.4 is poorly worded when read in a vacuum. But when read relative to the entirety of 5-9, it's purpose is to emphasize that coaches can only call time-out when there are in team control.
Oh?

Then why can't you grant a coach a TO during an interrupted dribble, as per rule 5-10-1(b)? There's still team control at that time, isn't there?
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
But that is exactly whats-his-name's point.

The rule for a granting the coach a TO is different from the rule for granting a player a TO.

Obviously not what they meant.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 11:12am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Oh?

Then why can't you grant a coach a TO during an interrupted dribble, as per rule 5-10-1(b)? There's still team control at that time, isn't there?
I'm not saying you can. I'm talking about the wording of this particular rule/article. I already said it was worded poorly. I did not say coaches can call time-outs anytime they are in team control.

It's poorly written b/c in reality there is no reason for 5-9.3 & 5-9.4 to be separate articles. Otherwise, are we saying HC can call a time-out while a pass in flight, but a player can't?
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 11:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I did not say coaches can call time-outs anytime they are in team control.
Um, no, actually NCAA rule 5.11-1(a) says that coaches can call time-outs anytime that they are in team control, as Scrappy pointed out.

The problem is that the NCAA is also saying in another rule(5-10-1b) that a coach can't call a time-out in this particular situation even though his team has control.

Why is that, JR be wondering?
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Why is that, JR be wondering?
Because the NCAA should have hired a short guy from Massachussets to write the rulebook that way we wouldn't have these conundrums.

But, I don't think the spirit and intent of these poorly written articles is for the coach to be able to call a time-out while a pass in the air. At least I know I'm not going to grant it.