The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Returning after TO

I know what the rule/casebook will tell me, but I wanted to get some real feedback on how you all handle the delays in returning following time-outs. I'm not talking about individuals, talking about whole teams that don't even think about breaking the huddle until the second horn. This is how it usually goes for me:

*First few TO's early in the game, not as much going on, we can usually get them to break the huddle by the second horn.
*As the game goes on, situations get more intense, timeouts get longer. We get to a point where we are no longer breaking huddles by the second horn. At this point I may even stick around and say to the coach something to the effect of "coach we need to start breaking these huddles sooner or we will start putting the ball down."
*Now we get to end of game, key situation, now the timeout lasts even longer, you have to drag them out of the huddle after the second horn, but who is going to put the ball down and start counting in this situation in the game?

Again I know how the books tell us to handle this situation, but having worked many games with state finals caliber officials I have RARELY seen one of them put a ball on the floor and start a count. IMO, however, this CAN give a team an advantage if they are consistently taking longer to get out of the huddle....how do you all handle? Do you even talk about this in pre-game (not part of my pre-game, can't remember hearing it in a pre-game). How many of you put the ball on the floor on a consistent basis? This is something that you really need to have the whole crew on the same page with to be consistent. Or is this something I need to just quit thinking about altogether?

Thanks for the feedback!