The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 03:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
So far we have just mentioned putting the ball on the floor. What if the throw-in team was ready and the defending team was breaking as the second horn sounded. Would you be less likely to put the ball in play after you have enforced it earlier in the game?
I use the term "put the ball down," but should just use "ROP" as that's what you're doing.

I have little hesitation in handing the ball to the thrower; especially if I've already used ROP once in the game.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
3. We're playing at the 2nd horn, so please have your kids out by then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
One time, a team broke out right at the 2nd horn and the other coach was yelling that we needed to put the ball down.
Isn't that what you told the coaches before the game? One follows what you said and gets his team on the floor and the other talks for another 15 seconds, it makes sense that he would want you to put the ball down as that is what you said you would do. If you're going to issue this pregame instructions to the teams then you should stick with it during the game.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 05:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
Isn't that what you told the coaches before the game? One follows what you said and gets his team on the floor and the other talks for another 15 seconds, it makes sense that he would want you to put the ball down as that is what you said you would do. If you're going to issue this pregame instructions to the teams then you should stick with it during the game.
You assume I was the R that game. I wasn't. When I'm not the R, I say very little.

1. "Hi, coach."
2. give them my name.
3. "No." In answer to the R asking if I have anything to add. (I never do.)
4. "Good luck, coach."

Furthermore, this was a couple of seasons ago, before I'd "refined" my coach's pregame. I probably wouldn't have mentioned it then even if I was the R, but I do remember it was not mentioned at all during that pre-game.

It also wasn't 15 seconds. They literally were breaking out of the huddle as the horn sounded, and the other coach had them out maybe 2 or 3 seconds sooner.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

If the teams are "slow" put the ball down early in the game as they are breaking the huddle and when it won't have much of an effect on the game.

That serves as the warning to be on time later in the game.