The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 01, 2003, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

One out, man on first. Ground ball to first base, who fields and tags 1st base before BR reaches it. Runner advanced ALL THE WAY to second, but, thinking there were already two outs, steps off second and takes a few steps towards 1st, ( He was not off of 2nd towards 1st enough to have been considered to be abandoning his base), towards his dugout. F3 sees this and throws to second. F4 catches the ball and runs at runner, toward 1st base. Runner catches on to the situation, and backs away from F4, towards 1st base. He winds up in a pickle between 2nd and 1st, and is safe back at 1st. Is this possible?
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
No. I do not have my rule book right in front of me, but once the runner has "earned" the next base he cannot just "go back". So in your case, he earned 2nd thus giving up his right to first.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

In this situation, I wouldn't call abandonment on a runner who reached 2B merely because he returned toward 1B. I'd wait until he crossed the foul line. The pitcher did not engage the rubber, so as long as the runner is returning due to legitimate error, he is not attempting to make a travesty of the game. He is still legitimately running the bases and is not yet precluded from returning by rule 7.01. He's merely made a legitimate mistake and can legally reclaim 1B as his base.

Just my opinion,

Freix
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 05:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
One out, man on first. Ground ball to first base, who fields and tags 1st base before BR reaches it. Runner advanced ALL THE WAY to second, but, thinking there were already two outs, steps off second and takes a few steps towards 1st, ( He was not off of 2nd towards 1st enough to have been considered to be abandoning his base), towards his dugout. F3 sees this and throws to second. F4 catches the ball and runs at runner, toward 1st base. Runner catches on to the situation, and backs away from F4, towards 1st base. He winds up in a pickle between 2nd and 1st, and is safe back at 1st. Is this possible?

Once 1st base is tagged and B1 is out at 1st, there is no force play on R1. That is why a fielder must then tag the runner going to 2nd.

So why wouldn't it be possible for R1 returning to 1st?
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 05:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
No. I do not have my rule book right in front of me, but once the runner has "earned" the next base he cannot just "go back". So in your case, he earned 2nd thus giving up his right to first.
I think you may be thinking of a dead ball situation!
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tucktheump
travesty of the game...

as long as the runner is not "making a travesty of the game", he can run the bases in reverse order providing he touches the bases in reverse order.

this is not a common play, but the runner can return to first if the base is not occupied.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2003, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
True, I was thinking dead ball. If ball is live and he needed to he could.. My bad. I know better than that...

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.