The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Slow whistle from my experience I get knocked in my evaluations because me and my partner dont have the same type of pants or my black shoes are not what everyone else is wearing. This has never come up and in some cases the reality is, whethere anyone wants to admit it or not, is that there are certain things that are, unfortunatley acceptable, to not make a big deal over if you want to advance. This, in my experience, is one of them.

Whether you enforce or not will have very little bearing on anything, except that you are supported by the rules. Do I? yes. Do I care if an edge might be frayed a bit here or there? No. I have seen the white shirt under many different color jerseys in other "big" games. Do you really think anyone besides some people here notice or care? I dont think so, because those same officials keep getting the "big" games over and over.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

I am with DEECEE, don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper. Call a good game and you will be rewarded.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Slow whistle from my experience I get knocked in my evaluations because me and my partner dont have the same type of pants or my black shoes are not what everyone else is wearing. This has never come up and in some cases the reality is, whethere anyone wants to admit it or not, is that there are certain things that are, unfortunatley acceptable, to not make a big deal over if you want to advance. This, in my experience, is one of them.

Whether you enforce or not will have very little bearing on anything, except that you are supported by the rules. Do I? yes. Do I care if an edge might be frayed a bit here or there? No. I have seen the white shirt under many different color jerseys in other "big" games. Do you really think anyone besides some people here notice or care? I dont think so, because those same officials keep getting the "big" games over and over.
Agree with you completely...just not a big fan of rules that are put in with a "*wink* *wink* don't really enforce that one"...that's why I said I wish they would either stop making us uniform police or give us the tools to deal with it...either would be fine with me...in the mean time I will continue to vent my frustrations on chat boards and dark, not smokey (in IL) bars after games.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

I think if one of my partners made a big deal out of navy/royal undershirts in a JV game, I'd be a nervous wreck each time he blew his whistle all night.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Twice this year I have seen male officials tell high school varsity girls that they had to do something about exposed bra straps that were not a color similar to the jersey. First time was when a girl went to the sideline to throw a ball in from out of bounds....although his comments were discrete, her reaction, adjusting her straps, and his patience in putting the ball into play, made the point of his comments quite apparent to all. The other time the enforcement came before player introductions, and was handled discretely, but the girl hadn't returned from the locker room in time to be introduced as one of the starting five.

Seems to me that men questioning girls' undergarments can lead to some real problems. Do others of you do this as well?
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

In previous years the requirements regarding undergarments and other apparel were individual. 3.5.5 in the current Case Book testifies to this.

However, in the past couple of seasons the NFHS has been moving in the direction of team uniformity as evidenced by the new rules about headbands and wristbands having to be the same color for all participants from a team.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overnbach View Post
Twice this year I have seen male officials tell high school varsity girls that they had to do something about exposed bra straps that were not a color similar to the jersey. First time was when a girl went to the sideline to throw a ball in from out of bounds....although his comments were discrete, her reaction, adjusting her straps, and his patience in putting the ball into play, made the point of his comments quite apparent to all. The other time the enforcement came before player introductions, and was handled discretely, but the girl hadn't returned from the locker room in time to be introduced as one of the starting five.

Seems to me that men questioning girls' undergarments can lead to some real problems. Do others of you do this as well?
In Alabama, the bras are considered personel gear and are handled......err treated like shoes and socks. Sometimes the ladies will wear non-conforming undershirts which have to be removed but I'm not asking a 16 yr old to do anything with her undergarments.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 08:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Until the NFHS tells me I have to, and CHSAA confirms they want us to as well, I'm not even looking at bra straps.

I have an 8 year old daughter, I'm still pretending girls don't need bras until they get to college.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Slow whistle from my experience I get knocked in my evaluations because me and my partner dont have the same type of pants or my black shoes are not what everyone else is wearing.
Sounds kinda strict to me. So if one guy has beltless pants and the other guy's wearing a belt, you get dinged?
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Until the NFHS tells me I have to, and CHSAA confirms they want us to as well, I'm not even looking at bra straps.

I have an 8 year old daughter, I'm still pretending girls don't need bras until they get to college.
Denial can be very a very effective tool in dealing with the world. In 8 years or so when the kid with the Mustang starts showing up at your house you just keep telling yourself " he's here for Bible study".

Had the partner who wanted to go down the bra strap street . I did a nice job of gently steering him over to the next street.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 10:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
Denial can be very a very effective tool in dealing with the world. In 8 years or so when the kid with the Mustang starts showing up at your house you just keep telling yourself " he's here for Bible study".
In 2 years, I'm going to start decorating the house with 16 year old boys in mind.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 11:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

Yes, This Will Be On The NFHS Exam ...

After you memorize this: List of colors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You get this: http://ac4.yt-thm-a01.yimg.com/image/1fab751b544177b0

Here's a "cheat sheet": Navy blue is a dark shade of the color blue. Navy blue got its name from the dark blue (contrasted with white) worn by officers in the Royal Navy since 1748 and subsequently adopted by other navies around the world. Royal blue describes both a bright shade and a dark range of blue. It is said to have been invented by millers in Rode, Somerset, a consortium of which won a competition to make a dress for Queen Charlotte. Traditionally, dictionaries define royal blue as a deep to dark blue, often with a purple or faint reddish tinge.

Here in the Constitution State, we're proud of our National Flag Blue and White University of Connecticut Huskies. I just wish that we hadn't spent so much of our tax dollars deciding on this particular shade of blue: http://www.uconn.edu/history/yestery...blue_white.php
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 11, 2009 at 12:18pm.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 12:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And Boys Aren't Allowed To Use The 28.5 Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overnbach View Post
Twice this year I have seen male officials tell high school varsity girls that they had to do something about exposed bra straps that were not a color similar to the jersey.
Your partner was clearly wrong. The rule that the brassiere shall be a single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey applies only to boys games. See NFHS 11-2-3-C.

I would encourage your partner to observe other things during the warmups in a girls game. I would think that jewelry, and undershirts, would suffice (I've been reading way too many of mbyron posts lately)?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 12:36pm
#thereferee99

I was watching a game recently GV.

Home team had jerseys with a wide amount of fabric at the top of the shoulder.
Some players tucked the fabric under their bra straps.
Referee made them untuck them, commenting about "wearing the uniform as it was made to be worn"
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 12:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Same reason we make them unroll their waist bands on their shorts.

Last edited by Adam; Sun Jan 11, 2009 at 03:17pm.