The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 01:22pm
#thereferee99

Com-pre-hen-sion

Before start of Boys JV game last night, players removing warm-ups... Visitors have Navy Blue jerseys. A couple of starters have navy tees on, but one kid has a lighter shade of blue, more of a royal blue.

Partner tells the kid he needs to take it off, that all of the team's tees need to be the same color. Kid complies.

At half time I ask partner about this. I suggest that I don't believe that there is a team-wide coordination restriction, just individual player requirements. He disagrees. I suggest we look to the rules book... get it out and read the rule about undershirts:

3-5-5 .... Undershirts shall be a single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey and shall be hemmed and not have frayed or ragged edges. If the undershirt has sleeves, they shall be the same length. A visible manufacturer's logo/trademark/reference is not permitted on the undershirt.

I finish reading and he says "Exactly!" I say "well alrighty then!" and we move on.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 01:28pm
Ch1town

Navy blue & royal blue are similar colors, no?
JV game too... why trouble trouble?

If the home team had white t-shirts on & one of the kids had a dirty one that was turning yellow/cream, would he make that player remove it too?
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Navy blue & royal blue are similar colors, no?
JV game too... why trouble trouble?

If the home team had white t-shirts on & one of the kids had a dirty one that was turning yellow/cream, would he make that player remove it too?

Just to be picky,A single solid color...............not similar colors.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

but is the undershirt requirement for a team or a player -- as in single solid color PER shirt or PER team?
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 01:41pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Just to be picky,A single solid color...............not similar colors.
3-5-5 .... Undershirts shall be a single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
but is the undershirt requirement for a team or a player -- as in single solid color PER shirt or PER team?

Hmmmm................good point.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
3-5-5 .... Undershirts shall be a single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey
I think you're correct. Could it be interpreted the other way?
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've always thought that meant per shirt, and that similar to the jersey leaves some room for a small amount of variation. In the dark blue category, there's probably even more room, because of the various ways the light can affect the dyes. I sure wouldn't pick this particular nit at the JV level, although I might at varsity, depending on how far apart the blues were.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

While on the uniform topic, I wish the NF, if they want to continue to make us the uniform police, would give us the tools to enforce it...you have to love the situation where the first time you see player undershirts (since they have had warmups on) is when they come out for the jump ball. Then you're sending a starter back to the locker room right before the jump ball b/c he has frayed edges on his undershirt sleeves. Rather than starting the game looking like an OOO, why not do something rule-wise like force all players to remove warm-up tops with 3 minutes left in warm-ups? That way if you have an issue you can fix it before the game starts. You would see a HUGE increase in compliance I am guessing....if they wanted to stop making us the uniform police that would be fine with me too...
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:37pm
#thereferee99

I don't see how you are going to tell the kid wearing royal blue that his tee-shirt is illegal. Justification? Is his shirt not a "single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey"? If so, then it is legal.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
While on the uniform topic, I wish the NF, if they want to continue to make us the uniform police, would give us the tools to enforce it...you have to love the situation where the first time you see player undershirts (since they have had warmups on) is when they come out for the jump ball. Then you're sending a starter back to the locker room right before the jump ball b/c he has frayed edges on his undershirt sleeves. Rather than starting the game looking like an OOO, why not do something rule-wise like force all players to remove warm-up tops with 3 minutes left in warm-ups? That way if you have an issue you can fix it before the game starts. You would see a HUGE increase in compliance I am guessing....if they wanted to stop making us the uniform police that would be fine with me too...
This isnt really that big of an issue -- especially at the varsity level.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:57pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
I've always thought that meant per shirt, and that similar to the jersey leaves some room for a small amount of variation. In the dark blue category, there's probably even more room, because of the various ways the light can affect the dyes. I sure wouldn't pick this particular nit at the JV level, although I might at varsity, depending on how far apart the blues were.
Nice points, I think the good official treats this like a violation/foul that he/she didn't get a good look at.
If you can't clearly tell, then it didn't happen.

Or when you're watching tape & have to rewind it several times to justify your call, probably should've been a no call then.

JMO but if they're wearing blue jerseys & the t-shirt isn't black or green, then it's blue...
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This isnt really that big of an issue -- especially at the varsity level.
Isn't an issue b/c players comply on their own or b/c officials are enforcing it 100%? And when I say 100% I mean no frayed edges on shirts, no visible undershirts (including side panels) that are different color, etc...b/c if you get 100% compliance from players on their own then I want to work where you work...a few weeks ago there was a picture in the paper at one of the biggest xmas tournaments in the state, kid was going up for a shot with his white jersey and BRIGHT RED understhirt on...
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 03:03pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
a few weeks ago there was a picture in the paper at one of the biggest xmas tournaments in the state, kid was going up for a shot with his white jersey and BRIGHT RED understhirt on...
Well it was a XMas tourney wasn't it
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well it was a XMas tourney wasn't it

Yeah but that wasn't Santa Claus!