The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 02:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down This hadn't happened to me in a long time

I've gone years without getting a partner that really ticked me off, but it happened last night. It was the first time I ever worked with him and I hope it will be the last. Usually, I can get along with anyone, but not this guy. I have no idea how much experience he has, but I doubt it's much.

Three times he argued with me over rule interpretations. Once, I called a travel on a kid who grabbed the ball when he had one knee on the floor and then stood up. My partner blew his whistle right after I did and at first, I though it was just a double whistle. But he turned to the table and said, "My partner had an inadvertent whistle. There's no travel. It's still blue ball." I couldn't believe he or any other official would do something like that. Immediately I went over to him to ask what he was doing. He said for that to be a travel, the player had to have both knees on the ground before standing up, not just one. I told him that's not the rule and he could look it up at halftime. I then corrected the call with the table and both coaches. They both are familiar with me so there was no problem with them. He also didn't know the rule about not shooting FTs on team control fouls. I had to correct that twice even though he disagreed.

The third example just floored me. He called a violation on a free throw because one of the shooter's teammates was in the backcourt talking with the coach. He said they weren't allowed to do that. Once again, I told him he was wrong and corrected the call and counted the FT. He got very upset.

He never hustled the entire game and was frequently out of position, making lots of calls in my area despite the fact that I told him to knock it off.

I kind of got even with him though. This was his second game in a row and at the end of our game, he was soaked with sweat. I knew he had at least a 45 minute ride home (probably longer) and he knew I lived less than five minutes from the gym. As I was walking out the door I turned and said to him, "I don't want to make you feel bad, but I'll be home and already out of a nice hot shower before you even get to the freeway." The look on his face made it all worth it.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately I think every area has some of those types and it's unfortunately for the officiating community.

-Josh
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
Unfortunately I think every area has some of those types and it's unfortunately for the officiating community.

-Josh
OK, so MP, I didn't know you worked with this guy......

YouTube - Worst Call In The History Of Basketball

I was thoroughly disgusted after this.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 03:00pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFitzRef View Post
OK, so MP, I didn't know you worked with this guy......

YouTube - Worst Call In The History Of Basketball

I was thoroughly disgusted after this.

That is exactly what I THOUGHT Old School looked like!
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Had a similar game last night, G9. My partner (1st year) showed up in uniform and jacket with less than 12:00 on the clock to start the game. Then stopped and talked to a fan while I did pre-game. It pretty much went down hill from there.

Mark, I am guessing your partner did not know "who you are."
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 03:21pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
"My partner had an inadvertent whistle. There's no travel. It's still blue ball."

My partner has a lump on his head. It's whites ball.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 03:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I would have paid to coach this game.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 03:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
He does now.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 03:57pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
He does now.
That'll teach him to mess with Skippy Weaselpants!
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 03:58pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post

Quote:
He does now.
For the record, who are you?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 03:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I'm the Captain of the US Olympic Sarcasm Team.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 04:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Quote:
I'm the Captain of the US Olympic Sarcasm Team.
Just had to ask, didn't you?
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

I would say this guy needs to be sent down to call elementary basketball, but what did thoes kids do to desreve it? Officials don't need any more help with getting people to not like us.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 04:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I've gone years without getting a partner that really ticked me off, but it happened last night. It was the first time I ever worked with him and I hope it will be the last. Usually, I can get along with anyone, but not this guy. I have no idea how much experience he has, but I doubt it's much.

Three times he argued with me over rule interpretations. Once, I called a travel on a kid who grabbed the ball when he had one knee on the floor and then stood up. My partner blew his whistle right after I did and at first, I though it was just a double whistle. But he turned to the table and said, "My partner had an inadvertent whistle. There's no travel. It's still blue ball." I couldn't believe he or any other official would do something like that. Immediately I went over to him to ask what he was doing. He said for that to be a travel, the player had to have both knees on the ground before standing up, not just one. I told him that's not the rule and he could look it up at halftime. I then corrected the call with the table and both coaches. They both are familiar with me so there was no problem with them. He also didn't know the rule about not shooting FTs on team control fouls. I had to correct that twice even though he disagreed.

The third example just floored me. He called a violation on a free throw because one of the shooter's teammates was in the backcourt talking with the coach. He said they weren't allowed to do that. Once again, I told him he was wrong and corrected the call and counted the FT. He got very upset.

He never hustled the entire game and was frequently out of position, making lots of calls in my area despite the fact that I told him to knock it off.

I kind of got even with him though. This was his second game in a row and at the end of our game, he was soaked with sweat. I knew he had at least a 45 minute ride home (probably longer) and he knew I lived less than five minutes from the gym. As I was walking out the door I turned and said to him, "I don't want to make you feel bad, but I'll be home and already out of a nice hot shower before you even get to the freeway." The look on his face made it all worth it.
And who hired this dude? I thought you were the supreme assignor for your area?
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 04:29pm
Ch1town

Quote:
But he turned to the table and said, "My partner had an inadvertent whistle. There's no travel. It's still blue ball."
Does he work football too? Sounds like he has white hat tendencies