The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:39am
Ch1town

Pregame dunk - mechanics

So, I experienced a pre-game dunk for the first time last night (they usually know better at the varsity level). I didn’t signal the T, I told the guilty party to go tell his coach why he lost his box, unfortunately he didn’t speak any English…
So I informed the coach during pre-game & he already knew the deal. He attempted to argue that the indirect didn’t forfeit his box, but he sat the whole game anyway... nice try coach
My partners suggested that after intros we take our positions then I should signal the T as the players took the floor, so everyone knows why. I didn’t like it, so I told the PA announcer to make the announcement after the National Anthem.

How do you guys handle that situation? Do you signal the T right there on the spot with a whistle or after intros or not at all? Do you tell the coach right then & there or do you wait until pre-game with coaches?

Thanks much!
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

What I do

No whistle, What I do is first go to the player. I tell him he just got a T, this hopefully will stop him from doing it again. I get his number. Go over and Get is in the book as a T, player T, also indirect to the coach. One Team Foul. I will then if the coach is there explain to him what we have. When we start the game I will signal a T before we shoot the free-throws so the crowd knows. I do this for a book T to start the game too. Also make sure the table knows how to set the arrow and please don't do what someone I know did and start the game with a regular Jump ball.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

In the rare occurances of that:

I go and tell the coach immediately that we have a problem and what is going to happen. I will also communicate with the scorer what is going to happen. I let him tell the PA guy. I do not signal anything until after all the pregame and hoopla is over. Step out onto the court, blow whistle and signal T. THen shoot. etc....
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:58am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
please don't do what someone I know did and start the game with a regular Jump ball.
Oh you mean I shouldn't have tossed the jump after the FTs j/k

Is signalling the T to start the game in a caseplay? IMO, the signalling of the T to start the game just looks funny. The fans are wondering why, I felt it would draw unnecessary attention to myself as well. The PA guy did a good job of explaining to the crowd. He gave the infraction & the players number.
It was on the home team, so you can imagine they were not too happy.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

I would let the official opposite the table signal the T. I would do this right prior to having the lead administer the ball for the free throws. This is what I would do. I don't think you will find it in the book. I just think it looks right. lol. Also back to the person who said they would tell the coach first, you best tell the player first. You don't want them to do it again. Then you really have a mess. Tell the player first then the coach.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:03pm
Ch1town

When would you set the arrow in this sitch? When the ball is at the dispossal of FTer or the dispossal of thrower-in?

Rules reference would be appreciated.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
When would you set the arrow in this sitch? When the ball is at the dispossal of FTer or the dispossal of thrower-in?

That's a good question. Without looking it up, I'd say the throw-in; but I'm not more than 51% positive. I'll have to look it up when I get my bag out tonight at the school.

Another nice thing about changing at the school is I have a bag to put my rule book into.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:16pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post

At the disposal on the throw-in. 6.4.1

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

At disposal to thrower, not after throw-in completed
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Always nice to be right. thanks jar.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 03:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
And the reason for this is that before the throw-in you could conceivably have a 'T' against the team that is shooting free throws: illegal uniform, admin w/the book, F-bomb, etc. Then the other team would get the initial throw-in.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 03:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
And the reason for this is that before the throw-in you could conceivably have a 'T' against the team that is shooting free throws: illegal uniform, admin w/the book, F-bomb, etc. Then the other team would get the initial throw-in.
Don't know if that's why the rule is the way it is, but it's definitely why it matters.