The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Floor Markings

I just worked a game for the first time in a new HS gym in our area. When marking the floor, they did not put down the semi-circle at the top of the free throw lane. When I questioned the AD, he said it wasn't necessary since there were no more jump ball situations at the free throw line. I argued that it is required by rule, both in Rule 1 and Rule 9. Rule 9 states that free throws must be taken within the semicircle - if it 's not there how can that rule be enforced. Granted in reality 99.99% of all free throws are taken directly at the line so it's not really an issue, but none the less I believe it is a requirement by rule.

Obviously we played the game. I guess I am now supposed to file a report with the state about the irregularity. I am surprised that a month into the season, I am the first official that has worked there that has mentioned this to them. I'm curious what some of you more "senior" folks think?
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 08:07am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwv001 View Post
I just worked a game for the first time in a new HS gym in our area. When marking the floor, they did not put down the semi-circle at the top of the free throw lane. When I questioned the AD, he said it wasn't necessary since there were no more jump ball situations at the free throw line. I argued that it is required by rule, both in Rule 1 and Rule 9. Rule 9 states that free throws must be taken within the semicircle - if it 's not there how can that rule be enforced. Granted in reality 99.99% of all free throws are taken directly at the line so it's not really an issue, but none the less I believe it is a requirement by rule.

Obviously we played the game. I guess I am now supposed to file a report with the state about the irregularity. I am surprised that a month into the season, I am the first official that has worked there that has mentioned this to them. I'm curious what some of you more "senior" folks think?
I would have done exactly the same thing. I think you were right to mention it to the AD, play the game anyways, and write a report to the state. Did you mention it to the visiting coach in the pre-game metting?
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

I'd be surprised if you were the first official to say something, but I suppose it depends on your area. Some idiot decided to save $25 by not marking those lines, but Click and Clack are correct: "the stingy man pays the most!"
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

colors

I worked in a Gym last year that did not have the lines of the 12 ft circle just the free throw line marked however the floor was painted a different color in that area so that the outside edge of that color served as the line.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Did you mention it to the visiting coach in the pre-game metting?
No, unfortunately. Quite honestly, I didn't notice it until we were about 3 minutes into the game and had our first shooting foul.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 08:27am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I'd be surprised if you were the first official to say something, but I suppose it depends on your area. Some idiot decided to save $25 by not marking those lines, but Click and Clack are correct: "the stingy man pays the most!"
Wow! An obscure reference to Tom & Ray Magliozzi (The Tappet Brothers). I used to listen to them all the time when I was stationed in Europe in the 80s. Way to go mbyron!
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 09:39am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwv001 View Post
.. Granted in reality 99.99% of all free throws are taken directly at the line so it's not really an issue, but none the less I believe it is a requirement by rule.
I actually called a violation this past summer in an AAU game when the free throw shooter wouldn't get inside the circle before receiving the ball from the lead. I told her she needed to step inside the circle and she wouldn't listen. She got the ball with one foot completely out of the circle and I whistled the violation.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I actually called a violation this past summer in an AAU game when the free throw shooter wouldn't get inside the circle before receiving the ball from the lead. I told her she needed to step inside the circle and she wouldn't listen. She got the ball with one foot completely out of the circle and I whistled the violation.
She now knows.

I work a HS gym that has a division line that is 4" wide. Is it worth telling anybody about?
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Interesting, although I think that circle could be eliminated and the rule changed or dropped.

I have a school 15 minutes from me with no center circle, just a big M in the middle of the division line.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 03:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Tell the AD to get out some masking tape, get down on his knees and put the semi-circle on. If he won't do it, tell him the game is canceled due to the gym floor being inadequate. If he gives you any grief, stuff the tape down his throat so he chokes. Also take everyone's cell phone so no one can call 911 to save him. Then stand over him and laugh in his face as he slowly expires. Then drive really fast to Canada.

Or, you could just play the game. Nowhere near as much fun, though.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 09:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Isn't There An Exception For That ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
I work a HS gym that has a division line that is 4" wide.
Volleyball ???
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Volleyball ???
I am not a volleyball guy, is that the reason?
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Volleyball ???
Volleyball has 2" line just like basketball should be.

The architect that designed our gym here was pretty dim. They specifically told the contractor not to touch the center logo. I brought up the shadow lines to make notion of where the center line is, but no they listened to the architect, so we have to put floor tape down and ruin the wax finish.

Also they put the score boards at mid-court on each side rather than on the ends to the side of each backboard? Last second shots are near impossible to keep an eye on the time and last second shot, rely way too much on the horn..

Last edited by shishstripes; Wed Jan 07, 2009 at 01:02am.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:32am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishstripes View Post
Volleyball has 2" line just like basketball should be.

The architect that designed our gym here was pretty dim. They specifically told the contractor not to touch the center logo. I brought up the shadow lines to make notion of where the center line is, but no they listened to the architect, so we have to put floor tape down and ruin the wax finish.

Also they put the score boards at mid-court on each side rather than on the ends to the side of each backboard? Last second shots are near impossible to keep an eye on the time and last second shot, rely way too much on the horn..
Apparently the architect had awards in his mind than the rules of basketball. There is a note somewhere in the rule book, or maybe on the court diagram, where there is an agency or something other that architects can contact for specifics in making sure their designs will be within the rules and all.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 02:48pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Wow! An obscure reference to Tom & Ray Magliozzi (The Tappet Brothers). I used to listen to them all the time when I was stationed in Europe in the 80s. Way to go mbyron!

Gruenwar:

They are great. I try to listen to them every Saturday morning.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio