The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:05am
In Time Out

interesting plays- warriors vs. jazz

two wacky plays and how would they be called in high school

First, Turiaf on the warriors has the ball and goes for a shot. From the tv it appears he might be fouled. I don't hear a whistle but the players on the court do and everyone stops for a few seconds looking confused but then the jazz players steal the ball for a fast break layup. Apparently, there was a whistle from the crowd. In high school if a outside whistle causes confusion do you stop play? In this case I thought the refs should have blown the play dead when people were standing around, but once the basket was scored I guess it was too late.

2nd case and I thought it was handled well by the refs was Williams on the Jazz driving on a 2-1 fastbreak. He gets fouled the instant the ball leaves his hand on a pass to his teammate who dunks it. The refs count the basket.Then Williams I believe shoots one free throw and makes it. Not sure if it was a bonus free throw or an And one play? In this case if the refs blew the play dead the defender would have been rewarded for his foul and two sure points would have been taken away so it was a good call.
In high school, could you do that? The foul clearly was before the shot attempt. I also was thinking how much time could separate the two before you would disallow the shot. In this case it was really quick. I don't think the ref blew the whistle until after the dunk. Would the basket be canceled if he whistled before the shot attempt?
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:11am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post

2nd case and I thought it was handled well by the refs was Williams on the Jazz driving on a 2-1 fastbreak. He gets fouled the instant the ball leaves his hand on a pass to his teammate who dunks it. The refs count the basket.Then Williams I believe shoots one free throw and makes it. Not sure if it was a bonus free throw or an And one play? In this case if the refs blew the play dead the defender would have been rewarded for his foul and two sure points would have been taken away so it was a good call.
In high school, could you do that? The foul clearly was before the shot attempt. I also was thinking how much time could separate the two before you would disallow the shot. In this case it was really quick. I don't think the ref blew the whistle until after the dunk. Would the basket be canceled if he whistled before the shot attempt?

If you think the foul was before the shot, why do you think it was a good call?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:17am
In Time Out

NBA.com: Video

espn
"Just before halftime, a fan blew a whistle and many of the Warriors stopped playing while Kyle Korver dribbled the ball down for an uncontested dunk. The public address announcer warned the crowd against unauthorized whistles but the play stood. ... "

Last edited by mutantducky; Tue Jan 06, 2009 at 02:22am.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
two wacky plays and how would they be called in high school

First, Turiaf on the warriors has the ball and goes for a shot. From the tv it appears he might be fouled. I don't hear a whistle but the players on the court do and everyone stops for a few seconds looking confused but then the jazz players steal the ball for a fast break layup. Apparently, there was a whistle from the crowd. In high school if a outside whistle causes confusion do you stop play? In this case I thought the refs should have blown the play dead when people were standing around, but once the basket was scored I guess it was too late.
You can if you are convinced that is the reason players stopped.

Quote:
The NBA does not have what we call bonus. They do shoot FTs after 5 fouls a quarter. And they shoot 2 FTs from what I remember (sorry I do not watch a lot of NBA games).

In HS the timing of the whistle is not relevant. If a foul was called, the play is dead before the whistle is blown (Fundamental #16).

Peace
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:30am
In Time Out

I'm fairly sure Williams shot one free throw but not positive on that.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:34am
Do not give a damn!!

I cannot help you on this one; I did not see the play. I only have an idea what happen if all you do is think there was one shot.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:38am
In Time Out

do you see the video link- 1 minute 40 mark

http://www.nba.com/video/games/jazz/...505_recap.nba/
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:41am
Do not give a damn!!

The video did not work the first time.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:44am
In Time Out

ok- nba.com has the videos though. Actually, I noticed how they have upgraded their videos so maybe you have to download something. The video quality is higher than it was before.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 04:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
I saw the play with Williams getting whacked in the head just after dishing it off. L was beat on the play as it was a quick steal on a pass on the perimter. Hard to say if the L passed on the call or wasn't able to see it but he comes in with an open hand not a fist. I don't believe a foul was called on the play. Honestly I cannot stand the NBA all that much though.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Maybe btaylor will be on later to clarify, but I do believe that the NBA has a rule that in situations similar to play 2 of the OP where the offended person will get 1 shot if the shot goes in. The reasoning is that they don't want to see a team score and get the ball back so apparently 2 points and 1 FT for the foul is more equitable. Not saying I agree, but I think that that is the rule.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

I was at a camp over the summer with an official who had just been at an NBDL try-out. He was explaining a situation to me that was similiar:

A1 was driving to the basket and dished to A2 who went up for the shot. While A2 was in the air, B1 pushed A1 into A2 disrupting A2's attempt.
The official counted the basket and put A1 on the line for 1 shot. After the game reviewing the tape with his observers the official was told he had made the correct call.

correct at the HS level also?
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:36am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
Maybe btaylor will be on later to clarify, but I do believe that the NBA has a rule that in situations similar to play 2 of the OP where the offended person will get 1 shot if the shot goes in.
This is true, but only if the player with the ball has begun the act of shooting. In the video, it seems pretty clear that the contact on the passer was well before the shooter gathered the ball. But I only watched it once, so I could be wrong on that.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:40am
#thereferee99

no, you were right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
This is true, but only if the player with the ball has begun the act of shooting. In the video, it seems pretty clear that the contact on the passer was well before the shooter gathered the ball. But I only watched it once, so I could be wrong on that.
i watching. its an nba thing. i broke it down under nfhs rules for my wife who was watching with me. she really appreciated it.

passer was fouled before he released the pass. basket counts. passer shoots. nba.

Last edited by referee99; Tue Jan 06, 2009 at 03:24pm.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburt View Post
I was at a camp over the summer with an official who had just been at an NBDL try-out. He was explaining a situation to me that was similiar:

A1 was driving to the basket and dished to A2 who went up for the shot. While A2 was in the air, B1 pushed A1 into A2 disrupting A2's attempt.
The official counted the basket and put A1 on the line for 1 shot. After the game reviewing the tape with his observers the official was told he had made the correct call.

correct at the HS level also?
Not correct at FED or NCAA