The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Player oob

Can a player standing out of bounds draw a foul (other than intentional or flagrant)? For example, B2 is out of bounds under the basket (momentum or some other legal reason). At the same time, A1 has just finished a layup and has come to the ground, then runs into B2 out of bounds. If B2 had been in bounds, no doubt you call a pushing foul.

1. Ball still on rim when contact occurs (live ball)
2. Goal has scored, but team B has yet to get control of ball (dead ball period)

I'm thinking no-call in both cases. B2 is out of bounds, so he cannot have a "legal" guarding position. Also, a foul prevents the opponent from performing normal offensive or defensive movements. Being oob, would already prevent him from performing those.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 05:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. foul on A1. If the foul does not require LGP, then the player may be out of bounds.
2. Ignore it unless it's intentional or flagrant.

If the contact prevents B2 from getting back onto the court, for example, you have your advantage/disadvantage.

All players are entitled to their spot.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjchamp View Post
Can a player standing out of bounds draw a foul (other than intentional or flagrant)? For example, B2 is out of bounds under the basket (momentum or some other legal reason). At the same time, A1 has just finished a layup and has come to the ground, then runs into B2 out of bounds. If B2 had been in bounds, no doubt you call a pushing foul.

1. Ball still on rim when contact occurs (live ball)
2. Goal has scored, but team B has yet to get control of ball (dead ball period)

I'm thinking no-call in both cases. B2 is out of bounds, so he cannot have a "legal" guarding position. Also, a foul prevents the opponent from performing normal offensive or defensive movements. Being oob, would already prevent him from performing those.
Unless it was a violent collision I'd probably go with incidental contact. I'm trying to picture how hard a player shooting at the rim, even coming off a drive, can run into a player standing under the basket out of bounds.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 11:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Unless it was a violent collision I'd probably go with incidental contact. I'm trying to picture how hard a player shooting at the rim, even coming off a drive, can run into a player standing under the basket out of bounds.
Let's assume it knocks B2 to the floor. Still going incidental?

Go back to the OP. This is contact that you would judge a foul if B2 was standing in bounds. You have no basis to change that ruling if B2 is standing still when A1 runs into him.

Last edited by Adam; Tue Jan 06, 2009 at 12:22am.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Let's assume it knocks B2 to the floor. Still going incidental?
ive worked games where shoelaces knock a player to the ground
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 12:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
ive worked games where shoelaces knock a player to the ground
Nice. I've had players get knocked over by anxiety. They were anxious about getting run over so they fell before the contact could happen.

However....

But you know what I meant.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
2. Ignore it unless it's intentional or flagrant.

If the contact prevents B2 from getting back onto the court, for example, you have your advantage/disadvantage.

All players are entitled to their spot.
Legally obtained position on the floor
OOB is not addressed - so yes ignore unless it is intentional or flagrant.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 09:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
Legally obtained position on the floor
OOB is not addressed - so yes ignore unless it is intentional or flagrant.
Are you serious? B2 obtained his position legally by momentum. That's a given for the case play; otherwise you have a violation.

If B2 obtained his position legally, and gets knocked to the floor by what would be a common foul anywhere else on the floor, call the foul!
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you serious? B2 obtained his position legally by momentum. That's a given for the case play; otherwise you have a violation.

If B2 obtained his position legally, and gets knocked to the floor by what would be a common foul anywhere else on the floor, call the foul!
You can't obtain legal position OOB. It is not part of the playing court. The fact that the player ended up there via a legal method (momentum, etc) simply means there was no violation commited by the player, but still doesn't change the fact that they have no legal position on the playing court. So unless the contact is flagrant or intentional, I'm going with nothing if a player gets contacted OOB.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
You can't obtain legal position OOB. It is not part of the playing court.
Bull puckey. Where is the rule that says this? You can't find it.

You can't have LGP standing OOB, but that's it. This foul doesn't require LGP since B2 is not moving.

Show me the rule that says B2 isn't entitled to a position just because it's out of bounds.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjchamp View Post
B2 is out of bounds under the basket (momentum or some other legal reason). At the same time, A1 has just finished a layup and has come to the ground, then runs into B2 out of bounds.
Where is the foul? That is incidental contact unless it is intentional or flagrant
the shooter came down and ran into another player who is not part of the play and the contact does not effect the play, if the player contacted is OOB. it did not prevent him from doing anything - s/he can not rebound the ball from OOB, and if the basket goes it is dead ball, so you are going to make a foul call - dead ball contact OOB - in this situation?
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bull puckey. Where is the rule that says this? You can't find it.

You can't have LGP standing OOB, but that's it. This foul doesn't require LGP since B2 is not moving.

Show me the rule that says B2 isn't entitled to a position just because it's out of bounds.
Yeah, I think I was confusing things with LGP being an issue here, which it's not.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 01:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
Where is the foul? That is incidental contact unless it is intentional or flagrant
the shooter came down and ran into another player who is not part of the play and the contact does not effect the play, if the player contacted is OOB. it did not prevent him from doing anything - s/he can not rebound the ball from OOB, and if the basket goes it is dead ball, so you are going to make a foul call - dead ball contact OOB - in this situation?
Let's assume it's contact that is a foul if it happens anywhere else on the court. Let's assume that the contact knocked the player to the floor, preventing him/her from returning to the inbounds area. Let's assume the basket is missed.

It certainly does affect play. On what basis do you have incidental contact?
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:12pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Bull puckey.
Not sure why, but I just got a cold chill. IT IS ALIVE

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Not sure why, but I just got a cold chill. IT IS ALIVE
I figured someone should offer a memorial every now and then.

I'd tell M&M to STFU, but I'm too busy laughing about a moving screen I read about.