The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 09:44am
This IS My Social Life

Team Pre-Game Perimeter Lap

Anybody heard of any stated prohibition to a team coming out of the locker room doing a pre-game lap around the perimiter of the playing floor? It was asked of me whether this, which is pretty much done by every team around here, could constitute "taunting," since the second team out ends up going around the first team who is already doing their lay-ups.
I've seen it done here for years by just about every team on the high school level and I've never seen any sort of actual taunting occur during this pre-game lap. And I couldn't find any prohibition to it in the rule book or case book.
Any stated prohibition ever given to this practice?
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

I've wondered about this also but I have never found anything that prohibits this practice.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 10:26am
M.A.S.H.

It is not allowed in Illinois.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Virginia (the Viginia High School League VHSL) has prohibited this practice for several years. Teams have to take a direct route to their side of the court and cannot circle the whole court. The VHSL believed there was too much potential for taunting to occur. Officials who saw a team try to cirlcle the floor were to stop the team from completing the cirle and send them back the way they came from.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Any stated prohibition ever given to this practice?

The general concept was a POE a few years ago. FED left the specific implementation up to each state. So, you'll have to ask your state association what the rules are.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 11:08am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

A lap before the game? Big deal. When I was in HS (before dirt was invented), the other team would be out warming up when, all of a sudden, the gym lights would dim way down. A spotlight would then shine on the home team locker room door. Some cheerleaders would be in front of the door holding a big paper hoop with an outline of the state of Illinois with a big star showing our town. There would be a drum roll from the band and then the team opened the door and burst through the hoop as the band then loudly played our school fight song. The lights would then come back on and the players would dribble in a line towards the open basket and they would all make reverse layups. The crowd went wild.

Now that's intimidation.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

In PA it is illegal to. I don't know if it is a state thing or not because I couldn't find it in my rule book or case book, but in PA running or circling the court and interfering with an opposing teams warm-ups represents a team technical foul. What are the other penalities for this type of warm up behavior in other states.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 01:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pregame Center Circle Belongs To ???

Ever so slightly off topic: Connecticut IAABO/CIAC: Team members are not allowed to congregate at midcourt during introductions. Officials will direct players to free throw line area in front of respective benches.

That's all I got.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

TN illegal too

While I was in Tennessee, the local association had it as a POE. Had a situation when both teams (big rivals) came out at the same time and tried to circle the court. Several remarks from the crowd a little trash talking etc. brought some non-basketball crap into the game. Since then it's directly onto their half of the court and not crossing the half court line during warm ups.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal in Iowa. Report said transgression to state association and they will deal with it. Otherwise, not much can be done unless it escalates or the refs provide traffic control from the outset.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 03:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"If you run, you'll only go to jail tired." ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrog64 View Post
The refs provide traffic control from the outset.
Great. First we're the Fashion Police, now we're the Traffic Police. Where will it all end?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

A T in NC as well.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 04:06pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Great. First we're the Fashion Police, now we're the Traffic Police. Where will it all end?
Let's see, players getting taller and more athletic and the basket height not changing - maybe air traffic control?
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 04:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Tall Tale ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
The basket height not changing.
Wow. I haven't heard anyone bring up (no pun intended) that topic in a long, long time.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 03, 2009 at 04:19pm.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

legal in texas, but always make me nervous