The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
While I was in Tennessee, the local association had it as a POE. Had a situation when both teams (big rivals) came out at the same time and tried to circle the court. Several remarks from the crowd a little trash talking etc. brought some non-basketball crap into the game. Since then it's directly onto their half of the court and not crossing the half court line during warm ups.
As an old Tennessee boy, just curious who the teams were? Thanks...
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Don't remember...was 10 years ago.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
A lap before the game? Big deal. When I was in HS (before dirt was invented), the other team would be out warming up when, all of a sudden, the gym lights would dim way down. A spotlight would then shine on the home team locker room door. Some cheerleaders would be in front of the door holding a big paper hoop with an outline of the state of Illinois with a big star showing our town. There would be a drum roll from the band and then the team opened the door and burst through the hoop as the band then loudly played our school fight song. The lights would then come back on and the players would dribble in a line towards the open basket and they would all make reverse layups. The crowd went wild.

Now that's intimidation.
You should see Proviso West's intros. Better than the Bulls. (And recently could beat 'em!)
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 12:20am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

I'm not sure what, if any, stand the MHSAA has. Local CYO has a rule that a team entering the court shall not encircle an opponent already on the floor warming up (Penalty: Technical foul for unsporting conduct).

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

A technical foul in Washington State. And we are reminded to enforce it every year at the state tournaments.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Anybody heard of any stated prohibition to a team coming out of the locker room doing a pre-game lap around the perimiter of the playing floor? It was asked of me whether this, which is pretty much done by every team around here, could constitute "taunting," since the second team out ends up going around the first team who is already doing their lay-ups.
I've seen it done here for years by just about every team on the high school level and I've never seen any sort of actual taunting occur during this pre-game lap. And I couldn't find any prohibition to it in the rule book or case book.
Any stated prohibition ever given to this practice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfalls57 View Post
I've wondered about this also but I have never found anything that prohibits this practice.
You guys must be newer officials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The general concept was a POE a few years ago. FED left the specific implementation up to each state. So, you'll have to ask your state association what the rules are.
Bob is 100% correct. So check with your state association.

NFHS POE #3
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Read ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Nevadaref: Thanks for sharing. You saved me from digging through my old rulebooks to find this POE. I will also thank you on behalf of our much older colleague, Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. You saved him a trip up into his cold attic.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Illegal in Ohio.