The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Correct Position for Lead

Sorry, but I do not have an official's manual...When lead, where is the best place to set up when the ball is on the Trail's side? I've been told, since he has the ball clear to the endline, that I should vacate the paint and hang around well to my side, so I'm not tempted to call one in his area, down low. Your views on that are appreciated....
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Assuming you are writing about 2-whistle, it depends on the number of players and the action on Trail's side.

In short, if the floor is balanced with players evenly spread on the court, go to the free throw lane extended, off the endline.
If Trail has a majority of players, go to the Trail's free throw lane extended, off the endline, but turn your body toward the action in the lane. Turning your body will help you stay in your primary as well as indicate, to Trail, that you still have the paint, but you are there if he needs you. This is called *strong-side officiating*.
I was discouraged from coming across in my first few years of officiating, and that was good advice. It was better not to have to worry about where I should be when I was learning what was a foul and what was a violation.

I think folks should regard strong-side officiating (and maybe even "pinching the paint") as advanced mechanics.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
If the ball has settled there is nothing wrong with the lead coming over (flexing) to the T's side and turning towards the lane to watch the post play only. But be ready to bust back over to your side of the court, especially on a small court like the one's we have here (about 40 feet wide).

If I don't come across, I usually stay near the lane with my body turned to observe my primary. When the ball is on my side, I move out as far as the ball.

Either way, if you are watching off the ball you shouldn't have to worry about calling something in T's area unless you have to get an obvious call off the ball.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 09:21pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopcolle View Post
Sorry, but I do not have an official's manual...When lead, where is the best place to set up when the ball is on the Trail's side? I've been told, since he has the ball clear to the endline, that I should vacate the paint and hang around well to my side, so I'm not tempted to call one in his area, down low. Your views on that are appreciated....
Self-discipline of focusing on your own PCA will better help you.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 09:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Self-discipline of focusing on your own PCA will better help you.
agreed. I found the first step to not looking into someone else's PCA is to not call what you think you see when you are looking.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
agreed. I found the first step to not looking into someone else's PCA is to not call what you think you see when you are looking.
Thanks for all of the comments...Snaqwells, I agree with what you're saying, but I am trying to determine what my PCA is--as lead. I believe the Trail has his side all the way to the endline and to the paint, and above the key on the arc to the free throw line extended....I have the square formed from the Key (or paint) to my sideline and out to the free throw line extended. Correct? I can therefore avoid his PCA which is obviously very near mine (the junction of the endline and the key on his side.) I am not sure how well I described those areas, and I hope they work....Thanks again for the help....
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Bishopcolle saying thanks to all responses....I actually followed up and did what I should have done in the first place and SEARCHED previous threads...found some good ones that addressed Ball Side Mechanics and showed diagrams etc. I see that the topic is really split on when or if to shift ball side, but I learned a lot from all comments...thanks again, Bishopcolle