Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 05:53am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Ref60 : 60s of Officiating : Get the Bloody Play Right

Home Page : 60 Seconds on Officiating

Dec 30/08 Article : Get the Bloody Play Right

Take home message: paramedic training dealing with blood issues.

I think TH is a high-numebered poster from here.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Can somebody clarify a few long since forgotten things on this?

What qualifies as "properly cleaned" for bloody jersey or pants? I imagine the ol' wet-towel swipe, or rub-dry, might be attempted by some, especially if they don't have or want to swap uniforms.

Also, would the team huddling around a player changing a shirt near the bench qualify count as taking a player out of the "visual confines"?
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Trainers can use a prepared solution to remove small amounts of blood from uniforms. It wouldn't work with a lot of blood.

THe rule doesn't say it's not a T if you can't see him remove his shirt. It's says it's a T if he does. So the answer to your question is no.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 12:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Black, Beige, And White Only Apply To Headbands And Wristbands ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
The rule doesn't say it's not a T if you can't see him remove his shirt. It's says it's a T if he does.
I had a player walk out for the jump ball to start a varsity game with black T-shirt under a white jersey. He had worn a jacket during warmups. I told him that he couldn't play with the black T-shirt, and that he couldn't change in the bench area, but I suggested that he could duck behind a six foot high partition dividing the court from an adjoining auxiliary gym, and take it off. He was ready to play in less than fifteen seconds, and ran out to start the game. This brought to mind several overly officious officiating questions:

1) Should I have not allowed him to start the game, and requested a substitute to start the game?
2) For liability purposes, should I have not suggested to him to duck behind the partition?
3) What if there was no partition, and he had to go to the locker room. Would it be any of my business if he went alone, or had an adult with him?
4) If the locker room was the only place to change, should this have influenced my decision to allow the player to start the game, versus getting a substitute in for him?

An inquiring mind wants to know.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 03, 2009 at 01:30pm.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I1) Should I have not allowed him to start the game, and requested a substitute to start the game?
2) For liability purposes, should I have not suggested to him to duck behind the partition?
3) What if there was no partition, and he had to go to the locker room. Would it be any of my business if he went alone, or had an adult with him?
4) If the locker room was the only place to change, should this have influenced my decision to allow the player to start the game, versus getting a substitute in for him?

An inquiring mind wants to know.
1. No.
2. No.
3. No.
4. Depends on the time involved.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

I would and have requested a substitute. It's no different than sending him out for a untucked jersey during the game. Go make the change appropriately and sub in later.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith