The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

HS game. Player has 4-5 blood spots on white uniform and very noticable. I confront player & find he has open wound on his hand. Player is removed, coach buys him back into game on a full time-out, wound covered, bleeding stopped. Opposing coach complains that he should not be allowed in game with blood on uniform. I rule it is not excessive.
My fellow officials say player should not be allowed...I say the blood was not excessive.
Where is the line drawn on EXCESSIVE?
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my reference material with me but I believe the criteria is something about "transferable." Check last years rule book, or the year before.

"Obvious" isn't a criteria. Is the blood transferable to another player? 5 spots... probably not.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

I believe that "saturated" plays into that somewhere as well. If a jersey is saturated, the blood can be transfered by contact.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

3-3-6

A player who is bleeding, has an open wound, has an excessive amount of blood on his/her uniform, or has blood on his/her person, shall be directed to leave the game, unless a time-out is requested by, and granted to, his/her team and the situation can be corrected by the end of the time-out.

It is still left to the official's judgement what "excessive" is. I personally have used the term saturated to opposing coaches who question my judgement of excessive.