The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

From Ref60 website

Is this all correct? I thought we had discussed this on this forum in the past that if they reach across the line and hit the thrower it was simply a common foul and not an intentional foul.

Crossing the Line
Whenever you hear about someone “crossing the line,” it’s a safe bet that person is likely in a bit of trouble on the job or in a relationship.

Well the same can be said about a player who crosses the line in a basketball game. More specifically, when a player reaches through the boundary-line plane on a sideline or end line and disrupts the opponent during a throw-in.

Let’s look at the implications to the defender for crossing the boundary-line plane:

If a defender reaches through the boundary-line plane, but makes no contact, the official will issue a delay of game warning to the defensive team.

Any additional violations for reaching through the boundary-line plane, without contact, will result in a technical foul being charged against the defending TEAM (not the player.)

If a defender reaches through the boundary-line plane, and makes contact with the ball, the official will issue a technical foul against the defender.
No warning is required.

This includes reaching through the plane of the end line and intercepting a pass to another offensive player who has stepped out-of-bounds while attempting to complete the throw-in.

If a defender reaches through the boundary-line plane, and makes contact with the thrower, the official will issue an intentional personal foul against the defender.

However, if the player attempting the throw-in breaks the boundary-line plane with the ball:

The defender may legally slap or grab the ball out of the offensive player’s hands.

If both players have a firm grasp on the ball, a held ball is called resulting in an alternating possession throw-in.

If the original throw-in was an alternating possession throw-in, the offensive team maintains the arrow following the held ball.

So while we can’t offer any advice if you find you have crossed the line in your personal or professional life, we hope we have clarified what to do if player crosses the line in a game you are officiating!
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 11:44pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
Is this all correct? I thought we had discussed this on this forum in the past that if they reach across the line and hit the thrower it was simply a common foul and not an intentional foul.
Intentional foul.

Quote:
Crossing the Line
Whenever you hear about someone “crossing the line,” it’s a safe bet that person is likely in a bit of trouble on the job or in a relationship.

Well the same can be said about a player who crosses the line in a basketball game. More specifically, when a player reaches through the boundary-line plane on a sideline or end line and disrupts the opponent during a throw-in.

Let’s look at the implications to the defender for crossing the boundary-line plane:

If a defender reaches through the boundary-line plane, but makes no contact, the official will issue a delay of game warning to the defensive team.

Any additional violations for reaching through the boundary-line plane, without contact, will result in a technical foul being charged against the defending TEAM (not the player.)

If a defender reaches through the boundary-line plane, and makes contact with the ball, the official will issue a technical foul against the defender.
No warning is required.

This includes reaching through the plane of the end line and intercepting a pass to another offensive player who has stepped out-of-bounds while attempting to complete the throw-in.

If a defender reaches through the boundary-line plane, and makes contact with the thrower, the official will issue an intentional personal foul against the defender.

However, if the player attempting the throw-in breaks the boundary-line plane with the ball:

The defender may legally slap or grab the ball out of the offensive player’s hands.

If both players have a firm grasp on the ball, a held ball is called resulting in an alternating possession throw-in.

If the original throw-in was an alternating possession throw-in, the offensive team maintains the arrow following the held ball.

So while we can’t offer any advice if you find you have crossed the line in your personal or professional life, we hope we have clarified what to do if player crosses the line in a game you are officiating!
I agree with all of this.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Intentional foul if the defender breaks the plane and fouls the thrower.

Common foul if the thrower breaks the plane and the defender fouls him.

Perhaps that's where your confusion lies.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 06:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ??? Mythbusters ...

A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a violation, not travelling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. A player inbounding the ball may bounce the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throwin. After a goal, or awarded goal, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from any point outside the end line. A team retains this “run the endline” privilege if a timeout is called during the dead ball period after the goal. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate outside the boundary line.

The defender may not break the imaginary plane during a throwin until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass. If the defender breaks the imaginary plane during a throwin before the ball has been released on a throw-in pass, the defender’s team will receive a team warning, or if the team has already been warned for one of the four delay situations, this action would result in a team technical foul. If the defender contacts the ball after breaking the imaginary plane, it is a player technical foul and a team warning will be recorded. If the defender fouls the inbounding player after breaking the imaginary plane, it is an intentional personal foul, and a team warning will be recorded.

The inbounding player does not have a plane restriction, but has five seconds to release the ball and it must come directly onto the court. The ball can always be passed into the backcourt during a throwin. This situation is not a backcourt violation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

It reads a player may step on the line but not over.

Does this allow for half the foot to be inbounds and half out of bouns when they are stepping on the line?
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 09:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:

Does this allow for half the foot to be inbounds and half out of bouns when they are stepping on the line?
If their foot is touching inbounds at all, it's a violation.

Also for you newbies, following a made or awarded score, when the inbounder may pass to a teammate who also is standing OOB on the endline, can the pass be a bounce pass (assuming it bounces only OOB)?
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 10:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS Has Declared 2009 To Be The Year Of The Overtime ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Also for you newbies, following a made or awarded score, when the inbounder may pass to a teammate who also is standing OOB on the endline, can the pass be a bounce pass (assuming it bounces only OOB)?
I'm not a newbie, I'm an oldie, so I'm not going to answer this. I'm 99% sure that I know the correct answer, but I can't find a citation. Hopefully a newbie will come up with one.

Happy New Year.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 12:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm not a newbie, I'm an oldie, so I'm not going to answer this. I'm 99% sure that I know the correct answer, but I can't find a citation. Hopefully a newbie will come up with one.

Happy New Year.
Let me put it this way, the fact that you can't find a citation should tell you something.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The boundary line is entirely OOB.

The inside edge of the boundary line is the line that separates inbounds and OOB.

If you step on the line, you will be touching inbounds and OOB and will have violated.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith