The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 01:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

Juulie, the streak is snapped

I called a 3-second violation tonight. First one since January 2007.

Worked 2 games today - a 2PM varsity girls as part of a Xmas tourney and a 7:30PM non-conference varsity girls game.

First game took 70 minutes and, coincidentally, we were each paid $70 for the game. Buck a minute.

The second game? Well, the best that can be said is that it didn't go to overtime and I almost had a fan removed. We must've had about 15 held balls.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I called a 3-second violation tonight. First one since January 2007.

Worked 2 games today - a 2PM varsity girls as part of a Xmas tourney and a 7:30PM non-conference varsity girls game.

First game took 70 minutes and, coincidentally, we were each paid $70 for the game. Buck a minute.

The second game? Well, the best that can be said is that it didn't go to overtime and I almost had a fan removed. We must've had about 15 held balls.

Okay, fine.

And this is directed to me because..... why??
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 01:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Okay, fine.

And this is directed to me because..... why??
Just because.

I'm glad you're back on the court, BTW.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just because.

I'm glad you're back on the court, BTW.
Yea overall, me too!
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Why the first 3 second call since 2007? Players get a huge advantage in the rebounding game if you let them camp out in the lane all game. Enforce all the rules not just the ones you like.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 07:36am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Why the first 3 second call since 2007? Players get a huge advantage in the rebounding game if you let them camp out in the lane all game. Enforce all the rules not just the ones you like.
There are a number of reasons why this call becomes rarer than how often you expect it to be called. He could be officiating higher level ball where the players understand the rule and actually work to abide by it. He could be using preventative officiating (voice) to get the players out of the key. He could be lucky. He could have been T when the L called it in a game he was officiating. The call is rare for me as well . . .

Judging from RichMSN's posts, I am pretty sure that he doesn't not call a 3-second violation because he doens't like it.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 07:46am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
With a subject line like - "Juulie, the streak is snapped," I thought you were going to tell us that Mark had an OT game last night! Nah......
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 09:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Let's not jump to conclusions so quickly. I know officials who haven't called it in a lot longer than that. I don't keep track, but I haven't called it in a couple years either. Just hasn't happened in my games; kids keep moving. Did have a partner call it earlier this year, though.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 09:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
It's just what the other people have said. I only work varsity games and I simply don't have people camping in the lane much and when people are in the lane, there's usually a shot going up.

I do find it strange that it took almost 2 years for me to personally call one (I've had partners call them, although a few really weren't violations) although I finished my 2007 season in January when I hurt my knee, so I guess it's only really been one full season plus the 12 games I've worked so far since I last called one.

I did remember how to signal it, though. And naturally, the coach hated the call (along with a bunch of other ones).
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 09:39am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
With a subject line like - "Juulie, the streak is snapped," I thought you were going to tell us that Mark had an OT game last night! Nah......
No, but we almost did. I haven't had a game closer than 10 points all season, but last night's teams were a special brand of inept. Here's an example:

Visiting team had one timeout left. Players are diving on the floor (as was the case many times last night). Player from the visiting team hits the ball towards the endline and a player from the home team jumped on the ball. Everyone (including me, the T) thought the ball was going to the visiting team, but my partner clearly and convincingly signaled that the ball had hit the endline before the home player dived on it.

The visiting coach wanted an explanation and instead of getting our attention called a timeout, which I granted immediately as a 60-second timeout, his last timeout. He got an explanation, then, as my partner walked over and told him what happened, but he was now out of timeouts.

He could've used that down 3 points with about 10 seconds left. Instead, they jacked up a 3 that didn't even touch the rim.

I did find an interesting scenario, though, that I guess just shows why I'm not a coach. 4 seconds left, home team up 4. Visiting team is out of timeouts, home team uses its last one, a 60-second timeout. I walked up to my partner, who used to be a girls varsity coach, and mentioned I'd leave the girls in the huddle (on the court) and let the visiting team score and the clock would run out after the score. Of course, the home coach pressed and could've (but didn't) foul the 3-point shooter.

During the fourth quarter, I almost had to have a visiting fan (father, I presume) removed. He was screaming in our direction the whole game, but it was the usual idiot fan stuff that's easily ignored. Then he said after yet another six girls dove on the floor, "You need to blow the God damned whistle" loud enough to be heard over the din. I'm not religious, but combined with the other crap, he had pretty much crossed over whatever line I have (which is usually hearing, ignoring, and internally laughing at them). It was during a 60-second timeout and I looked in the corner for the game manager, who had just walked out of the gym for a moment. I noticed the timer had a walkie-talkie and I walked over to check the books and told the timer that he needed to get the game manager on the walkie-talkie cause "that chucklehead right behind you in the red sweatshirt and mustache is about to go." The timer said he had already taken care of it and within a minute, the game manager was up in the stands.

The whole thing was funny in a way, cause his wife was clearly embarrassed and was trying to shut him up. Other parents were yelling at him, too.

Oh, I named the thread as I did because I made a joke about 3-second violations in the past and I thought Juulie rolled her eyes at me. Maybe not, I'm getting older in my older age.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
During the fourth quarter, I almost had to have a visiting fan (father, I presume) removed. He was screaming in our direction the whole game, but it was the usual idiot fan stuff that's easily ignored. Then he said after yet another six girls dove on the floor, "You need to blow the God damned whistle" loud enough to be heard over the din. I'm not religious, but combined with the other crap, he had pretty much crossed over whatever line I have (which is usually hearing, ignoring, and internally laughing at them). It was during a 60-second timeout and I looked in the corner for the game manager, who had just walked out of the gym for a moment. I noticed the timer had a walkie-talkie and I walked over to check the books and told the timer that he needed to get the game manager on the walkie-talkie cause "that chucklehead right behind you in the red sweatshirt and mustache is about to go." The timer said he had already taken care of it and within a minute, the game manager was up in the stands.
Gotta love that. What exactly did he want you to blow your whistle for?? Probably so 'somebody doesn't get hurt out there!!'
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 12:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
That would have to be posted on a "virtual" website.