The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Youth "No zone rule" looking for examples

As has been pointed out, the problem with allowing 4th and 5th grade teams to play zone defense is that coaches are able to avoid teaching any defensive fundamentals while being successful since many 4th and 5th graders cannot consistently make shots from outside 12 - 15 feet.

All defenses -- man-to-man, match-ups and zones -- require man-to-man principles in order to be successful. If coaches are merely allowed to pack players in the lane, these fundamentals are not being taught.

Years ago I administered a 4th - 6th grade boys basketball program. From the start of the 4th - 6th grade program, a man-to-man requirement was in effect. However, the year before I took over, several coaches were taking advantage of the man-to-man rules (all defenders had to be within 6' of their men).

We instituted a number of changes to the rules that were designed to teach man-to-man defense that included helpside principles -- which had never been addressed in the past. Our rules were not designed to be simple to enforce (as most man-to-man rules are). They were designed to force the coaches to teach the fundamentals of man-to-man defense which are utilized regardless whether a team is playing man-to-man defense or zone defense.

Our man-to-man rules were in effect for virtually the entire game for the 4th graders (except last minute and OT) and 5th graders (except for the last three minutes and OT). The rules were in effect for the first half for 6th grade teams.

Our rules required the following (sorry in advance for the length):

A. Player defending the player with the ball must attempt to be within a closely guarded distance whenever the ball handler was within 20 feet of the basket.
B. All other defenders of players on the ball side of the floor must be in a denial position (within 6' of the opponent) except
1. when the opponent is more than 20' from the basket,
2. when "helping" to stop the ballhandler from attacking the basket.
C. All other defenders of players on the non-ball side of the floor may assume a good "help side" position in the lane. These players must react to the movement of their opponent including:
1. obtaining a denial position should their opponent move to the ball side of the floor,
2. obtaining a denial position should the ball move to their opponent's side of the floor.
D. When defending "Stack" offenses, only the top player in the stack needed to be guarded (this was to prevent teams from utilizing stacks to create the 1v1 plays described in the original post) the other players could assume a good helpside position.
E. Trapping is prohibited except in the following situations:
1. two offensive players are within 3' of the ball.
2. in the lane when the ballhandler is driving to the basket when a defender is helping to stop a drive.
3. during transition during a fastbreak when the defense is not able to be organized.
Such situations are not to be penalized.

While the rules seemed somewhat complicated on paper, the enforcement was actually rather simple. We wanted to force each player to learn the fundamentals of man-to-man defense. As the coaches began to learn how the rules were being enforced, they began to implement offenses requiring team play and team movement.

We were very happy with the results over the eight years I administered this program.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Guys thanks for all the input. Great stuff.

Now can anyone get me to drop 20 lbs before having to do 3 games Saturday? Decided not to do High school since I could only do one night a week, so I have not done much since golf stopped 2 months ago. So glad it is a nice small gym.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
As has been pointed out, the problem with allowing 4th and 5th grade teams to play zone defense is that coaches are able to avoid teaching any defensive fundamentals while being successful since many 4th and 5th graders cannot consistently make shots from outside 12 - 15 feet.

All defenses -- man-to-man, match-ups and zones -- require man-to-man principles in order to be successful. If coaches are merely allowed to pack players in the lane, these fundamentals are not being taught.

Years ago I administered a 4th - 6th grade boys basketball program. From the start of the 4th - 6th grade program, a man-to-man requirement was in effect. However, the year before I took over, several coaches were taking advantage of the man-to-man rules (all defenders had to be within 6' of their men).

We instituted a number of changes to the rules that were designed to teach man-to-man defense that included helpside principles -- which had never been addressed in the past. Our rules were not designed to be simple to enforce (as most man-to-man rules are). They were designed to force the coaches to teach the fundamentals of man-to-man defense which are utilized regardless whether a team is playing man-to-man defense or zone defense.

Our man-to-man rules were in effect for virtually the entire game for the 4th graders (except last minute and OT) and 5th graders (except for the last three minutes and OT). The rules were in effect for the first half for 6th grade teams.

Our rules required the following (sorry in advance for the length):

A. Player defending the player with the ball must attempt to be within a closely guarded distance whenever the ball handler was within 20 feet of the basket.
B. All other defenders of players on the ball side of the floor must be in a denial position (within 6' of the opponent) except
1. when the opponent is more than 20' from the basket,
2. when "helping" to stop the ballhandler from attacking the basket.
C. All other defenders of players on the non-ball side of the floor may assume a good "help side" position in the lane. These players must react to the movement of their opponent including:
1. obtaining a denial position should their opponent move to the ball side of the floor,
2. obtaining a denial position should the ball move to their opponent's side of the floor.
D. When defending "Stack" offenses, only the top player in the stack needed to be guarded (this was to prevent teams from utilizing stacks to create the 1v1 plays described in the original post) the other players could assume a good helpside position.
E. Trapping is prohibited except in the following situations:
1. two offensive players are within 3' of the ball.
2. in the lane when the ballhandler is driving to the basket when a defender is helping to stop a drive.
3. during transition during a fastbreak when the defense is not able to be organized.
Such situations are not to be penalized.

While the rules seemed somewhat complicated on paper, the enforcement was actually rather simple. We wanted to force each player to learn the fundamentals of man-to-man defense. As the coaches began to learn how the rules were being enforced, they began to implement offenses requiring team play and team movement.

We were very happy with the results over the eight years I administered this program.

I like what you guys have done here...
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

I officiate in a 4th-8th grade travel league that has a "no zone" rule for 4th and 5th grades.

Verbatim from the League web site:

USE OF ZONES AT 4th and 5th GRADE LEVEL:

Rationale of the rule: The following rule is intended to discourage teams from using zones at the 4th and 5th grade level. The general intent of the rule is to avoid teams from 'packing it in' and forcing teams to beat a zone by superior outside shooting, quick passing, or 'filling the gaps'. The general feeling is that players at this level do not have the offensive skills to 'break' a zone successfully, thus the zone creates an unfair advantage to the team playing a zone defense. Further, since playing a zone creates a defensive advantage, allowing it would discourage teams from using man-to-man defense, and players would not learn this very important fundamental skill.

Implementing such a rule needs to address zone presses during the allowed 'pressing' period, traps, and help defense. The 'flip' side of no zones is to discourage teams on the offensive side from isolating one strong player on one side of the court and going 'one on one' for the entire game or at least for an extended number of times.

The rule:
I. No zones are allowed in the 4th and 5th grade level.
II. In the frontcourt, between the 3 point arc and the timeline, 'help' defense is not allowed. This means there is no trapping or double teaming.
III. In the area between the 3 point arc and the 'paint', help defense is allowed. This means that a double team or a 'trap' would be allowed in this area.
IV. Inside the paint there is no restriction. The feeling here is that inside the paint there is so much traffic that it is too difficult for a referee to manage the type of defense being played.
V. In the last 2 minutes of the first half, and 4 minutes of the second half, teams may press full court, however this press must remain in a man to man defense (no zone). In short, they must be guarding their player, and not an area.
VI. The officials at the game site have the final responsibility for interpreting the violation. If there is no advantage being gained then the official in all likelihood may not call the violation. If any coach has an issue with the rule it is to be addressed with their league coordinator - NOT the referee or the league commissioner.
VII. The first violation of the rule will be a warning. .Subsequent violations will incur a direct technical foul on the coach.

My comments:

Please note rule VI: The officials decide if it is a zone. The most common zone violation I see is teams that play a one-man zone, with their big man in the middle of the paint preventing any layup. I will not make them guard their man in the corner, but they need to at least be on the side of the lane. I also do not let them stand in the middle not guarding anyone. I have started doing pregames with coaches in these grades to remind them of the general rule and the specific rule that the officials alone make the decision regarding a violation.

I once asked a coach to have one of his defenders guard his man. "Ref, I have been trying to get him to do that all year. If you can have any better luck, go ahead." I still laugh at that comment...and often use it in my pregame. These are 4th and 5th graders. And even though it is a travel league, there are many levels of play. Some kids just don't yet have the skill to guard a man.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Youth "No zone rule"

The true key to a successful implementation of "No zone rule" is support from ALL of the coaches. Typically, when such rules fail, it is due to a failure on the part of the coaches to understand that player development is much more important than wins/losses at these young ages.

When the coaches "buy in" to the concept, it is usually quite easy to referee these games.