View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Youth "No zone rule" looking for examples

Do a 6th grade and down youth league. I have no problem interpenetrating "No zone defense" rule, but I have 15+ years experience. Some times I reff with kids not much older them 15. So there was a problem with interpretations.

What happened was some reffs let the offense set up out side the 3 point lane and play a NBA isolation play, with the rule stating the defense needed to be within 5 feet, there was no help. A team road this offense to the finals were they ran into me, well all year I called it like this; when your person is 25 feet from the rim, my 5 feet is closer to 15. Where you should be playing man to man.

Well this year they wrote in to the rules (with no imput from reffs) if your man is outside the 3 point line you have to be too. OK, this is funny, in last year rules, must had blocked it out, know I did not call it

I looked around the net and found all the places I looked at just leaves it at no zone and leaves it up to interpretation.

So my question: Does anyone use a expanded "no zone defense" rule and what is it and how does it work? Let me know level too.

Thanks
Happy New year too

Last edited by snorman75; Fri Jan 02, 2009 at 02:39am.