The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Youth "No zone rule" looking for examples

Do a 6th grade and down youth league. I have no problem interpenetrating "No zone defense" rule, but I have 15+ years experience. Some times I reff with kids not much older them 15. So there was a problem with interpretations.

What happened was some reffs let the offense set up out side the 3 point lane and play a NBA isolation play, with the rule stating the defense needed to be within 5 feet, there was no help. A team road this offense to the finals were they ran into me, well all year I called it like this; when your person is 25 feet from the rim, my 5 feet is closer to 15. Where you should be playing man to man.

Well this year they wrote in to the rules (with no imput from reffs) if your man is outside the 3 point line you have to be too. OK, this is funny, in last year rules, must had blocked it out, know I did not call it

I looked around the net and found all the places I looked at just leaves it at no zone and leaves it up to interpretation.

So my question: Does anyone use a expanded "no zone defense" rule and what is it and how does it work? Let me know level too.

Thanks
Happy New year too

Last edited by snorman75; Fri Jan 02, 2009 at 02:39am.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

The only blanket no zone rule I've worked with allowed a double team, but no triple, if the ball was in the paint. This way, even if the the offense used an isolation play to take one defender out, they were also taking out a weapon of their own to use in beating the double team. I thought that worked pretty well.

The ball handler in the paint could draw a double team, but all other defenders had to stay on their person, and that meant facing their person, or within about 2 feet. If a defender tried to sort of slither off and pretend to guard while actually guarding the ball handler, it was a defensive violation, and we had the option to call it, and put the ball back in with a throw-in. When the refs enforced it strictly, it pretty well put the kibosh on the isolation play.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 06:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Why ???

The one and only year that my daughter played recreation basketball, there was a "you have to play man to man defense" rule. Whenever one of my daughter's teammates would get beat, she would leave her man to help on defense, and was told by the officials (parents/coaches/volunteers) that this was not allowed. Also, there were no free throws in this league. She was a pretty decent player, and every time she would drive to the basket, she would get hammered, and the only penalty was that her team would get to inbound the ball. She became quite frustrated, as was I, and the next year we both decided that she should try out for the travel team, and play "real" basketball.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 06:38pm
We don't rent pigs

Does anyone else think the no-zone rule for kids is a really bad idea? It has a strong tendency to turn the game into a one on one contest. It is difficult to enforce, no matter how it is worded, because with young kids, it is often difficult to tell what kind of defense they are playing. Let them quadruple team the stud. This will teach him to pass the ball.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorman75 View Post
Do a 6th grade and down youth league. I have no problem interpenetrating "No zone defense" rule, but I have 15+ years experience. Some times I reff with kids not much older them 15. So there was a problem with interpretations.

What happened was some reffs let the offense set up out side the 3 point lane and play a NBA isolation play, with the rule stating the defense needed to be within 5 feet, there was no help. A team road this offense to the finals were they ran into me, well all year I called it like this; when your person is 25 feet from the rim, my 5 feet is closer to 15. Where you should be playing man to man.

Well this year they wrote in to the rules (with no imput from reffs) if your man is outside the 3 point line you have to be too.

I looked around the net and found all the places I looked at just leaves it at no zone and leaves it up to interpretation.

So my question: Does anyone use a expanded "no zone defense" rule and what is it and how does it work? Let me know level too.

Thanks
Happy New year too

I ran into this several years ago with a travel game. Coach with a lightening fast point guard would spread floor almost doing a four corners, then run an iso play. I did as you did and allowed defenders to play off their man a good ten feet. Coach kicked and screamed........I would hear nothing of it. He was only interested in playing 1 on 1 and ran the play ad infinitum.

These were 7th graders. Hey, they're guarding their man, nothing says you have to be closely guard your man.

Last edited by fullor30; Thu Jan 01, 2009 at 03:17pm.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 06:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I think Juulie may be referring to the local kids rec league in my town. Years ago, we didn't allow zones at any grade level. If an offensive player was within 20 feet of the basket, they had to be guarded. Over the years, we changed that for three reasons. One - it was incredibly difficult to teach to new, young refs. Two - experienced refs who worked our league had difficulty with it because it was different from everything else they worked so they weren't used to recognizing it. Three - it came to pass that we felt zone defenses were a more accepted part of the game.

Now we only disallow the zones in 3rd and 4th grade games. They're OK in everything from 5th grade through HS. The change hasn't had a negative effect on the games and there's no plans to change it.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Ah yes, the memories of youth rec league ball. Man, how hard I try to forget! Great kids, wanna be coaches, and stupid parents. I remember once having a parent scream "3 seconds in the lane." To which I looked at her and replied, "OK. I've got ten girls in the lane. Which one do you want me to call it on." The head of that league was a truly great D1 player who later played for a while in Europe. I remember him shaking his head in disbelief at some of the things that he saw or heard.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

The boys youth league I have worked with for a number of years uses this for 3rd/4th grade. I don't officiate the 3rd/4th but had input on the written rule.

If you want hard and fast how our refs are to call it...we use the 6' closely guarded rule...if a player is in the FC, the defense must be within 6' of their man. Now they also do not allow any screens above the top of the 3point line extended, double team only in the lane.

Finally, they also have implemented an isolation rule that keeps one or two players from controlling the game and taking all the shots.

They have set up "infractions" if you will...two infractions of zone, double teaming, back court defense lead to a T on the 3rd violation. Each one is noted as it's own violation on the league score sheets. So, 1 Backcourt + 2 isos does not equal a T. Each infraction is counted on it's own happening.

Now, In the travel league I coach in (3rd Grade Girls), must play man to man D and can only double team below FT line in a helping manner.

As Mark P said, it's hard to officiate it because where i come from, any D can be played. But we use the same group of guys each year and they are very consistent in the manner with which they call it.

Philosophically, I understand why you make young kids guard man to man....nobody can shoot outside and they would just pack in a zone and never allow any penetration....That's not right either...Save the zone for later. Besides, playing man to man will make you a MAN!
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 10:45pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Our middle school leagues, past and present have some form of this rule.

The old league:
* Man to man was required all game
* Double teaming is allowed in the paint.
* Players can switch or play help & recover d.
* Repeated violations are supposed to be two shots and the ball (most officials never wanted to call this though after the first warning )

The new league:
* 5 periods (3 first half periods of 4:00; 2 second half periods of 6:00). This is to guarantee everyone playing time, though that can also be done with 4 quarter, IMO.
* Man to Man is required in the first half. Switching & help and recorver d is permitted, but trapping seems to be completely forbidden in the first half . Zone is legal in the second half.
* Nothing specified as to what to do for repeated violations.

###

There is one coach in this league who feels playing a saggy 2-3 zone inside the 3 point line passes as man defense. We also have another coach who thinks having her player under the basket when ours is at the 3 point line is also man defense. Aside form them, though, eveyone seems to follow the rules as best as can be.

###

Funny thing, too. CYO has rules regarding pressing and when pressure defenses can be used. I always keep my copy of the CYO rules at the table, knowing some officials probably have no idea what the rules are and would appreciate having something to refer to. At our opener this year, I had an official tell me to throw those rules in the garbage when I let him know what the league rules were. I did have to chuckle to myself when he later admitted he didn't know our CYO changed a pressing rule 2 years ago. (That's why one doesn't throw the league-specific rules in the garbage )

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 10:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I prefer, if you're going to have a rule, to allow double teaming any player with the ball at any time any where. Any player without the ball may not be double teamed. It prevents the isolation plays while allowing the benefits of preventing zones at young ages.

Personally, I hate the rule, but I don't run a kids' rec league, so....
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 11:20pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Personally, I hate the rule, but I don't run a kids' rec league, so....
I sorta do, and I hate the rule, too.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 11:08am
Esteemed Forum Member

Catholic School Rules ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
CYO has rules regarding pressing and when pressure defenses can be used. I always keep my copy of the CYO rules at the table, knowing some officials probably have no idea what the rules are and would appreciate having something to refer to.
Same here, for Catholic School league:

Younger Junior Varsity (4th and 5th grade):
Players who cannot reach the basket from the free throw line will be permitted to move up as determined by the officials.
No backcourt pressure.
The defense must drop back to inside the three-point arc.
When a team is ahead by ten points their defense shall drop back inside the three-second lane, and cannot reach through to play defense. They can come outside the arc to recover a loose ball.
Offensive teams must attempt to advance the ball. One warning, thereafter a five second count resulting in turnover.

Older Junior Varsity (5th and 6th grade):
No back court pressure for the first seven weeks of the season, unless game within 10 points in 4th quarter.
Beginning week 8, when a team is ahead by ten points, their defense must drop back to the three-point arc.
With a 15-point lead, must play zone and no fast breaks.
Offensive teams must attempt to advance the ball. One warning, thereafter a five second count resulting in turnover.

There are no forfeits in the JV league. If a team has less than 5 players, ‘borrow’ players from another team.

Varsity (7th and 8th grade):
No press or fast breaks in second half with 20-point lead. “No pressing” is defined as any attempt to inhibit the offensive team from moving the ball from their backcourt to their frontcourt. If the offensive team is attempting to fast break, the defense may attempt to prohibit the fast break by picking up players at half court. Otherwise the defense will drop back into a zone, generally inside the three-point arc.
Teams ahead will not fast break. “Fast break” is defined as pushing the ball up the court past the defense, prior to the defensive team’s ability to set up their defense. If the defensive team is attempting to press, the offensive team may use whatever tactics are available to break the press.

Happy New Year.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Interesting to see what other youth leagues are doing...

We modified our backcourt guarding rule two years ago for 5th/6th. (3rd/4th still use only the last 2:00 of 3rd and 4th Q for full court press.)

No press after made baskets or dead balls and no direct pressure on the ball handler (we use the 6' closely guarded idea in BC for this). They can however guard players without the ball and steal passes or get loose balls.

It used to be no backcourt D at all until the 2:00 mark of Q3 and Q4...Previous, if a kid made a pass to another running down court and it hit him in the back and was just bouncing free in the BC, the defense could not touch it...in short, they had to get back past halfcourt.

They can guard in BC anytime now with those mods in the first half of the season.

Second half of the season, they must follow those rules for Q1 and Q2. Then in Q3/Q4 they can FCP anytime as long as no more than 10 point lead.

My thought was that it was natural for a kid to play D after a rebound or stolen pass and too many were getting called for BC-D...we as a Board felt it encouraged good passing and ball handling and it has really helped with the flow of games too.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
does anyone else think the no-zone rule for kids is a really bad idea?
yes.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
yes.
If you have younger kids, it's not. Packing in a 2-3 and forcing 3rd or 4th grade kids to shoot jumpshots (read airballs) is not teaching anything. It's not teaching on ball defense, it's not really teaching a kid how to play off ball, on the line, up the line D and allowing them to learn floor spacing.

As much zone that is played these days...I know why it's played but in all seriousness...it's to help the weaker defenders who can man up and shut somebody down or force a bad shooting team into outside shots. On the upside, it does promote team passing and cutting...so I guess there's something to be said for it.